Notices

Insomnia Tips, Anyone?

Old 11-22-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Two Benadryl for allergies works for me.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Lots of good advice here. Do what works for you. Warm bath usually does it for me. I'm 10 months dry and still have sleepless nights, but I still feel a helluva lot better the next day than I did when I had got smashed.

One tip that I picked up is that if you are tossing and turning in bed, give up on it. Get up, watch TV, read, surf or whatever for half an hour then go back to bed. That half hour investment usually pays off.

Good luck
Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
raerob

Thumbs up

My first sponsor would always tell me, "Nobody ever dies from lack of sleep"; and I know just about everyone I've met in early recovery has the same complaint, so I just repeat to them those words of wisdom, "Nobody ever dies from lack of sleep."

First...don't just cut down on caffeine...eliminate it all together for a while. In rehab, we weren't allowed any regular coffee or tea...there's a reason for it.

You might try playing one of those relaxing tapes like the sound of the ocean.

Perhaps your doctor would prescribe a non-habit-forming sleep aid...make sure you tell the doc that you are an alcoholic in early recovery.

For a long time, I included in my evening prayers, "Please let me get a good night's sleep." EVENTUALLY, I did...and, you will, too!

Oh, another great AA saying..."This, too, shall pass!" Just have faith and be confident that the sleeplessness will become less and less until you'll find one morning that you wake up realizing you've actually slept through the night! YIPPEE!!!

Old 11-22-2005, 06:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Man!!!! For you guys who resent sleep, I just CANNOT relate! I love my sleep. I think I went so long without good, quality, non-drug-induced sleep, now that I am getting it, I just can't get enough. However, I also suffered from insomnia early in sobriety. One thing that was important for me was to at least try to rest. Often, I had to lie down and not make sleeping the goal. I made up my mind I would just lie there and let my mind wander, eyes closed, body relaxed. Many times, the moment I stopped trying to go to sleep, I would!!

In the meantime, just try to take it easy on yourself and know that it will come in time. The sleep you are getting now is still better quality sleep, since it is not induced by alcohol!

Hugs--
Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Grasshopper:

I couldn't sleep right for three months. The only thing that worked for me was to get so physically tired I collapsed at night. This was due to physical work. I don't work out and the only gym I was associated with for years was Jim Beam.

So, I say work out until you drop. If you do 50 minutes, double it.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you again, everyone, for all the tips, advice and stories. I swear, this is the nicest, most helpful, and most hopeful site I have ever belonged to--and that's *aside* from any recovery-related factors.

I was indeed thinking about tacking another twenty minutes onto my workout. I don't know about doubling it quite yet, as it is already pretty intense, both aerobically and weight-lifting-wise. I've been doing it for years, but MAN! Do I ever notice a difference since I've quit alcohol. Even in just under three weeks, the muscles that must have been buried under a layer of booze are absolutely popping out. Weight is just sliding off of me, too (I've gone from about 140 to 134 lbs). That is one benefit I didn't even think about when I decided to stop drinking--and yes, Mr. Beam was my poison of choice, too.

I, too, love my sleep, Lulu. I will be so glad when we get well reacquainted. I'll try all the tips here (except for the Benadryl one--I have high blood pressure, so am not allowed to consume it), but basically, I will take your word and wait for this sleeplessness to wane. You guys obviously know what you are talking about....lol.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

GP
Old 11-22-2005, 09:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Valerian tea was very helpful to me. Tastes like swamp water, so sweeten the heck out of it.
But I agree with Carol. I think insomnia is one of the underappreciated benefits of sobriety. I rarely get more than 4 - 5 hours of sleep a night any more, have lots of stuff that I do (writing, database management, website work, etc.), and don't miss it at all. The quality of my sleep is much greater than it used to be.
So other than the herbal tea and the suggestions others have made, I'd just suggest filling the time with something else and don't get stressed if you're not sleeping. Your body will sleep when it needs it.
Don S
Old 11-22-2005, 10:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Lightbulb

Sleep disorders are common with recovering persons, especially those who used marijuana (theirs seem to last the longest).

Roll with the punches in recovery and stick to your schedule of things you do for your recovery program. Meetings, prayer, talking to sponsor, etc.

I second what Digger says. A regular time for bed also is important. Those other things he said really help, whether you are in recovery or a normie. However, if you still are having what you feel are significant problems sleeping after 2 years in recovery I think it would be time to talk to a therapist or psychiatrist about what is going on. I believe all addicts and alcoholics have mental health disorders on some level, and some of them can contribute to insomnia. Getting a diagnosis or ruling something out is not a bad idea (after two years anyway).

My best relaxer is prayer. It melts all sources of an active mind if it is done with a real earnest heart and a desire to talk to God. It works for me!