Notices

Question about New Relationship

Old 11-13-2005, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about New Relationship

I posted this in nar-anon too but I think it might fit here as well. Thanks.

I just joined after reading through some of the posts. I was wondering if anyone can shine a light on possibilities I have not yet considered concerning a dating relationship with someone in recovery.

The guy is my age, 30, and we met in a phd program. He's been clean from heroin for over two years and still attends meetings for his own benefit. He's also started meetings for other people and has worked as a paid counselor. I know a lot about his past, things he's willingly shared, but I don't know what to expect for his (possibly our) future.

I have never been addicted to drugs. My father and grandfather were functioning alcoholics but my dad stopped cold turkey while I was in high school. I've never been intimate with a recovering addict so this is entirely new to me.

Already, sometimes, I forget that he doesn't feel comfortable in the same social scene that I frequent. I gave up drinking a year or so ago for health reasons so that's not an issue but nearly all of my friends still drink.

Ok, so I guess that's it. I don't know if this is clearly written or not. As this guy is right now, I can definitely see myself falling in love but I don't know if I'm a girl that would be healthy for him and his recovery since I have some of my own issues to work through still (family, weight, etc)...

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

-Sarah
Old 11-13-2005, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If You Feel Love Him Stick By Him And Just Pray
Old 11-13-2005, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Have you talked with him about your concerns?