Notices

what is a dry drunk????

Old 11-17-2005, 04:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I once heard an explanination from a medical study that made sense to me, I'll pass it on for what it's worth.

"Serotonin - A phenolic amine neurotransmitter (C10H12N2O) that is a powerful vasoconstrictor and is found especially in the brain, blood serum and gastric membranes of mammals. Considered essential for relaxation, sleep, and concentration."

Over long periods of time of alcohol abuse, the brains serotonin levels are reduced greatly. It can take up to six months after abstinence for those levels to return to normal. With reduced serotonin levels the brain cannot process feelings and moods as those w/ no chemical dependency. Some medical researchers specializing in the field of alcoholism will attribute the “Dry Drunk” period to the brains natural serotonin level recovery time.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Old 11-21-2005, 05:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The label 'dry drunk' isn't in my dictionary, period.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

dry drunks?

want to know the antidote for dry drunk periods? do as Bill W of AA did-work with others. he knew the truth -the only thing that kept him sober the first 6 months was working with other alcoholics. Ebby got religion [and got drunk] another founding member did good deeds [and got drunk] but when Bill said to Lois, his wife, 'I 've been working with those drunks in the hospital for 6 months now and not one of them is sober' the wise woman said 'but you are Bill, you're sober'
Bill knew then what kept alkies sober -working with other alkies . the 12 steps are essentially self centred -all about me me me, all the first 11 that is, the 12 th step says it all -work with others 'carry the message to other alcoholics'
you can do this by going to meetings, thats the easy way.but you gotta do it or you go dooo lally without a drink, I know cos I went there at nearly 30 years sober!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A dry drunk is simply someone who has ceased drinking without addressing the underlying causes of his/her drinking.

So, the self-absorbed person continues to be self-absorbed; the irresponsible person continues to be irresponsible; the depressive, depressive; and so on ... If the place or condition from which the person was using alcohol to escape remains unchanged, that person is merely not drinking, not getting sober.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location:    USA                        Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
A fairy tale used to scare people away from summarily quitting their addiction once and for all by suggesting that abstinence is insufficient for real recovery.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
A fairy tale used to scare people away from summarily quitting their addiction once and for all by suggesting that abstinence is insufficient for real recovery.
I agree with this.

I also don't like the idea that the implication is that unless you go to AA you will never really recover. Many people have made successful recoveries in many other ways than AA.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I think the term is very loosely used. In general terms it is applied to a problem user (alcohol drugs etc.) who experiencing difficulties living sober. You could even make the argument that some paws symptoms constitute a "dry drunk". Most commonly I've heard it applied to sober behavior that resembles problem behavior the user exhibited while using (either while directly under the influence or during the period of active use). It's one of those words that if it were in the dictionary it would have about 10 different definitions under it. As other posters have mentioned it really isn't a medical term, but rather a catch all phrase.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
I agree with this. Its my opinion, and maybe the minority, but I believe "Dry Drunk" is often used to describe people who do not "work the program". I just dont agree with the steps; however, I attend chuch, pray regularly, give generously, etc etc etc, but I am not a dry drunk.

If you arent drinking, you arent a drunk. You might be a miserable, selfish person- but I know plenty of them that never consumed alcohol.

Now, my disclaimer...I believe that AA has helped make this world a better place. I am not knocking the steps...just not for me. It has saved lives, marriages, and families. Anything that does this cant be bad!

Good luck to everyone- AA, AVRT, SMART, SR etc
Old 02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Hear you Darren. From my experience with AA DD was used in an almost disparaging way by some people. One of those take what you want and leave the rest kinda things.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Some of the paws articles I have read suggested that the term was first coined for the symptoms that some people exibited while going thru a paws episode. Lack of coordination for example. Even though the person may no longer be drinking, during a paws episode, some people have trouble with their coordination and stumble occasionally as if they were drinking.

God bless.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

For me, I believe I was a dry drunk/drug addict for years. I was still just as selfish and controling and manipulative.

As soon as I started to realize I really wasn't in control of anyone or anything and I really needed to take care of myself and my behavior only....oh and not have such high expectations of others I really turned a corner in my recovery.

I hate to say it but my very first taste of recovery was in 1987 and I only realized this in Dec. 2010.

My life is much less stressful today.....

I am no longer a dry drunk.

Lily
Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Location:    USA                        Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by jocata View Post
Some of the paws articles I have read suggested that the term was first coined for the symptoms that some people exibited while going thru a paws episode.
Terence T. Gorski mentioned this in his book, "Staying Sober: A Guide for Relapse Prevention."
Old 02-02-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mot sure why the old thread was bumped but I'd like to remind everyone about respect for other peoples beliefs.

from rule 4:

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.
It's possible to disagree with each other without breaking this rule.

thanks
D
Old 02-02-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Both my RexAB and former boss fit this definition of dry drunk.
I love my ex but I left him 5 weeks ago after he had 6 months of being sober (according to him I have no proof).

What was revealed to me when I LISTENED to his actions is that he was no different just not drunk. He did relapse one time that I know if and only admitted to it after I caught him weeks after it occurred (watered down cough syrup). Have no idea if he e Eric told sponsor. Not my business.

I wish for him to take recovery to a deeper level but who knows if his will.

Side note my former boss relapsed many times over 5 years of knowing him with being dry and not following a program. Only attending AA when wife made him. Clearly that doesn't work.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I, too, have heard it used in different contexts. My addiction counsellor used the term to describe the common physical symptoms of PAWS, i.e. loss of coordination, confusion, agitation, etc.

I think it goes without saying that successful sobriety requires more than just abstaining from alcohol. There's a lot to re-learn and lot of growing required to re-adjust to sober living. But to imply that the 12-steps of AA is the *only* way is simply not true.

I've found that most of us here at SR respect each other's methods, but it still grates on the nerves when the odd person makes these kinds of declarations. They aren't helpful to anyone.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by midgetcop View Post
I think it goes without saying that successful sobriety requires more than just abstaining from alcohol.
This is merely a variation on the dry drunk. Personally, I tend to think that secure, permanent abstinence offers far more than "sobriety" ever could.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's no secret that different methodologies have different views on the subject.
My truth is not necessarily someone else's, and vice versa.

Abstinence alone was not enough for me.
I needed to change my life as well - that worked for me

I'm thrilled for those who can do it another way - however we get there it's still a victory...

For the record, I'm not in AA, I don't use the term dry drunk, I'm not applying it under another name & I'm not denigrating other recovery programmes - I'm simply sharing my experience

D
Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Abstinence alone was not enough for me.
I needed to change my life as well - that worked for me
Well, my life certainly changed. Something had to fill up all that time that was formerly wasted on getting drunk and recovering from hangovers. I tried looking at the ceiling for a while, but that just didn't cut it.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I find this notion of a dry drunk very dangerous for somebody like me. If I understand the AA utilization of the term from posts on this site, basically if you just quit and don't do the steps or the program then you are addressing the symptoms and not the cause. Fair enough, but if I address the causes through the program steps and heal, can I now drink responsibly? Wow...very scary! I am guessing that is not the point, but for a person (me) who teeters on thinking I wasn't that bad....convince me it wasn't my drinking that made me the jackass, and I will be the first cured alcoholic. I know I am manipulating the argument, but I'd like to believe that quitting and nothing else still counts as quitting. My success longer term without a program might be in jeopardy, but quitting in and of itself has to be a good thing.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MentalLoop View Post
My success longer term without a program might be in jeopardy, but quitting in and of itself has to be a good thing.
Not necessarily. Some people are a little slow on the uptake (myself included), and benefit from some additional fortification and instruction, but this notion that you absolutely need a program to quit drinking is without merit. Some people will go on and on about how a program only works if you thoroughly follow instructions, and that if you don't succeed, you obviously didn't follow the directions, but you could say that about anything.

How's this for a quit drinking program?

1. Never pour alcohol down your throat.

2. If you get any ideas about pouring alcohol down your throat, see item #1.

I bet that works if you work it.