Notices

Can pills really help me?

Old 11-11-2005, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can pills really help me?

(I also posted this on "Hop on the newbie Bus......it's getting ready to roll........". Thanks for the reply, hopealwayz!)

Hello everyone. "Newbie" here. Starting day seven today. Does anybody have any thoughts on Antabuse? I asked my doc for a prescription on Monday (which she gladly did) , but now I'm having second thoughts. I've read that the side affects are less than appealing. Even the odor of after shave will make you sick? May be a little extreme for me. I'm really trying to fight these urges. I fell off the wagon (no pun intended) last week and woke up in the ER after blacking out and smashing my head open on my front porch. My poor wife and kids. I'd gone two weeks sober before that. Now 40, I've never gone even one day without at least one drink a day since my 21st birthday. Unemployed (by choice) after 21 years in the aerospace biz, I'm taking Paxil and trying to get back on my feet, if not for myself but for my family. Any thoughts on those "puke pills"?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Rommel,

There's a thread going on antabuse on the Alcoholism Board.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cts-76486.html
Old 11-11-2005, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rommel
I'm really trying to fight these urges. I fell off the wagon (no pun intended) last week and woke up in the ER after blacking out and smashing my head open on my front porch. My poor wife and kids. I'd gone two weeks sober before that. Now 40, I've never gone even one day without at least one drink a day since my 21st birthday.
Welcome, Rommel. Glad you're here.

I can't offer any advice on the Antabuse as I have never taken the pills. I can tell you that I got clean and sober in the rooms of AA. I was never able to stop and stay stopped on my own. I found the support I needed from people who've been there. Going to meetings, working the steps and having a strong program of recovery is how I stay sober one day at a time. When I got to those rooms, I didn't have anything left to lose. It's helped millions of people and it can help you, too.

Good luck.

--phinny
Old 11-11-2005, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Antabuse does nothing to you if you dont drink. Its like poping in a tic tac. Antabuse doesnt do what its made for unless you drink on it. Otherwise, it does nothing to you. And no,.....you can still use mouthwash,...you can still wear aftershave and cologne. Those are myths. I was on antabuse and was terrified of those things too. My doctor laughed at me when I told him what I was told about antabuse. He told me those were all B.S. I used my daily cologne and mouthwash and alcohol based paints too. (Im an artist) I never had any reaction JUST like the doctor said I wouldnt.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Well...

Antabuse does nothing for the urges.

http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-a02.html

Come over to Alcoholism and check out the top post.
It has lots of handy info.

And my personal experience with Antabuse is there too I think.

Glad to see you are seeking answers...Blessings<!-- / message -->
Old 11-11-2005, 06:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, for your info and encouragement! Now I learned something today.......
Old 11-12-2005, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD
Antabuse does nothing for the urges.

http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-a02.html

Come over to Alcoholism and check out the top post.
It has lots of handy info.

And my personal experience with Antabuse is there too I think.

Glad to see you are seeking answers...Blessings<!-- / message -->
Oh,...yeah I know that. Antabuse isnt designed at all to help relieve urges. It sort of relies on the alcoholic knowing the consequences if he or she drinks. Works toward the mental side of it. Ive known people who drank on it and it did nothing. Ive also known some to have gotten VIOLENTY ill.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quietmindrecovery.org

I used Antabuse back in my drinking days, and found the knowledge that I'd be very sick didn't prevent me from drinking; any more than the knowledge that I'd loose my family and job kept me from drinking. Alcoholics are not particularly concerned about consequences.

Generally, you will find that I promote a drug free (legal drugs included) path of recovery. Alcoholism is a symptom of deeper issues that need to be resolved if you are to experience a happy recovery. My website deals with my approach on that subject.

Having said that, I realize that sometimes we may want to temporarily employ pharmaceutical means that might assist our quitting. You could consider asking your doctor (or doing your own research) about Naltrexone for alcoholism treatment. Here is a link: http://ncadi.samhsa.gov/govpubs/BKD268/28c.aspx

Again, I don’t favor these drug approaches to the treatment of alchololism. I’m only mentioning Naltrexone for your consideration as a possible alternative to Antabuse.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, another member also recommended Naltrexone. He said it helped him control those damn urges. I know what you mean about the pill popping, but right now I can use all the help I can get.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rommel
Thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, another member also recommended Naltrexone. He said it helped him control those damn urges. I know what you mean about the pill popping, but right now I can use all the help I can get.

Alot of times we can edge out the urges simply by getting involved in some kind of outside activity. Join a book club or go to the gym. I myself, have started attending an art class. You have to begin that reconstruction of a brand new life immediately. "All you have to do is change everything". Sounds hard. And it is. But it wasnt easy to destroy our lives to the point many of us have either. Took time. So does fixing it. Good luck.