Notices

from alcohol to benzos need some support

Old 10-29-2005, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

from alcohol to benzos need some support

i am an alcoholic who has not had a drink in 7 years but suffer from depression, panic and anxiety disorder. prescribed benzos 7 years ago (notice the timeline) and became so toxic and sick i have decided to taper off ativan using valium (ashton taper) with the help of my dr. went from one dependency to another and am all alone and terrified of this detox as i know what i am in for as i have tried it before. it's weird, but i had no trouble stopping alcohol (drank for 20 years) but getting off these pills is another story. any benzo taperers here?

courtrafael
Old 10-29-2005, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Courtrafael,
Welcome to SR, you will find lots of support and information here. I dont know any specifics but keep checking back and someone will be along who does, there have been many posts on this topic here and on some of the other forums.
Have you talked to your dr about this issue?
Keep coming back and posting,
Take care
Old 10-29-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been on benzos for 10 years, I just recently started to try and taper off. So far the Ashton method seems the best one out there for people trying to do it alone. You have to lower you dosages slowly, withdrawal can be dangerous. I have been told over and over not try to quit on my own without medical supervision, but I am a stubborn SOB. Just please be careful. Is your Dr. invoved with your tapering? If you have access to medical help try and seek some.
Bfree
Old 10-29-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome Court!
You have found a great place for hope and support. I too was addicted to benzo's for many years ( I was addicted to everything) lol. My suggestion to you, would be to go inpatient detox if you can, get some support thru NA or AA. I'm glad your here.
Bless, Trish