Notices

College student going sober...

Old 10-27-2005, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

College student going sober...

Ok, so I'm really ready to quit drinking...

This is my first post on this forum.

I've decided that I'm ready to give up alcohol for good (or at least for the time being)...it seems that my drinking is doing more harm than good. Lately, I've been drinking a 6-pack a night and more on some occassions, I've tried to stay away from the hard liquor as much as I can (mainly been drinking alot of beer). I've really put on the weight lately, and the beer belly is clearly visible now.

What's really annoying me is the fact that I have these 'withdrawal'-like symptoms when I try to go a whole night without a drink. Lately, I've just been drinking to maintain my sanity, it's no longer a pleasure like it used to be...I'm basically just drinking to keep from having withdrawals - that's why I know I'm addicted and that it IS A PROBLEM.

So this is my first night without a drink in sometime, I hope to make it through the night (it's too late now to buy beer here), but my withdrawal symptoms are really bothering me. I am restless, I have this tension/pain in my lower regions and legs, my heart is beating fast, and I am afraid I will be up all night feeling like this (I have an exam in the morning).

So, I am wondering...how long do these withdrawal symptoms last? A couple days? A week? I know it's possible to kick this on my own, I've done it before, and I stayed sober for about 4 months, and then started drinking again in August.

I know the benefits of staying sober well outweight the problems (health and psychological) caused by drinking, and that the feeling I get from drinking is not worth crashing all the other parts of my life when I'm not drinking (the effects of the alcohol on mental sharpness, and withdrawal symptoms)...the alcohol begins to have an effect on your whole life.

I'm really hoping I can do this (it's a big goal of mine to quit drinking now), and I need all the support I can get. I've been reading this forum everyday for the past week and decided it's time I become a member and start posting. I hope to find encouraging words and inspiration here, and learn effective ways to steer clear of alcohol once and for all.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you all!!
Have a great night!!
-gunch
Old 10-28-2005, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Welcome to SR!

If you have a chance...take a minute to read this awesome story..
http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_t...edintime17.pdf
Old 10-28-2005, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome gunch!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello!

How wise of you to want to quit.

A moderate male drinker has 2 beers nightly...a female 1 according to the NADAA (National Association of Drug and Alcohol Abuse)
Check out the Alcoholism section...look near the top for
"Quitting...what to expect"

Let us know how we can be of help to you...Blessings
Old 10-28-2005, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome gunch!
I sure wish I had your courage in college! Took me 20 years to figure it out!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
REZ

Welcome. I would recommend going to AA meetings too. You will need the support! I quit drinking and drugging in college as well, but it is very difficult, due to the constant partying all around and the rationalization that I am too young to have a problem and that college is for having fun.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Gunch and welcomd!

I'm in college too and I've stayed away from alcohol and drugs for 16 days now. Life is much better without it.

It is hard for several days-weeks after stopping but things gradually improve.

Learning is so much easier without the substances.

Glad that you are here. Stick around!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Gunch,

I am on day 26, the withdrawls passed after about 1 week, actually every day it got a little easier, your body needs to detox and I would recommend lots of water and light exercise. Hang in there it does get easier and it is so worthwile.

Good luck!!

Rose
Old 10-28-2005, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR gunch