Notices

My first week!

Old 10-13-2005, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first week!

Well, I made it to day 7.......woohoo!!

So, one week ago today, I found out that I was NOT going to be able to go spend the weekend with my boyfriend (he lives 300 miles away) because he had to work out of state for about a week unexpectedly. I was pretty bumbed and of course HAD to go out and have a "few" drinks. So, yeah, I got drunk and drove home. It was last Friday that I started to really read here and I started to wonder about the possibility that I could be an alcoholic. If you read any of my first posts......I was in denial for sure.

Over the course of the weekend, I learned a lot from here, I went to a few AA meetings and I finally admitted, both here and out loud that I AM an alcoholic. Big steps for me (as I am sure they were/are for most).

Well, my b/f was busy working 17 hr days since last Thursday and just returned home yesterday. Needless to say, I didn't talk to him much (not really at ALL) over the last week and I was VERY worried about him finding out about my "dirty little secret". See, since we do have a long distance relationship, we don't get to spend much time together and I figured I hid my drinking pretty darn well from him since I am a binge drinker and usually didn't drink when with him. Anyway, we talked tonight and I mentioned how him having to work this weekend was actually a blessing in disguise and that I would explain it all to him someday when we could be face to face. Ha.....like he was gonna settle for that.

So, I spilled the beans.......I told him I was an alcoholic.........I apologized for some bad things that had happened between us in the past because of my drinking. Here's the kicker, he said he KNEW I drank too much sometimes. He didn't say he thought I was an alcoholic, but he was concerned and it effected how he viewed our future together!!! WOW, was I surprised!!! And I thought I was so clever!!!

Anyway, I was soooooooo worried he was going to think less of me or leave me or whatever other irrational fear could possibly pop into my head. Ya know what? He DOESN'T think less of me........he DIDN'T leave me.......and he is PROUD of me!!! I was sooooooooo worried and now that he knows.........I am soooooooo relieved!!!

Bottom line, I know I still have TONS of work to do, but this sober thing........well.........IT ROCKS!!! I think I'm gonna stick around for a while!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Congrats on your 7 days that is awesome!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

w00000000T Congrats on the week!

Yeah, we tend to not have too much faith in and/or trust others sometimes early on. Took me a couple months to tell anyone I'd quit drinking, even family. Everyone was cool with it (well, everyone that counts!), I kinda forget what all the worryin was about
Old 10-13-2005, 11:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good stuff...you've been doing really well.
chip
Old 10-14-2005, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skinner

So, one week ago today, I found out that I was NOT going to be able to go spend the weekend with my boyfriend (he lives 300 miles away) because he had to work out of state for about a week unexpectedly. I was pretty bumbed and of course HAD to go out and have a "few" drinks. So, yeah, I got drunk and drove home. It was last Friday that I started to really read here and I started to wonder about the possibility that I could be an alcoholic. If you read any of my first posts......I was in denial for sure.

Over the course of the weekend, I learned a lot from here, I went to a few AA meetings and I finally admitted, both here and out loud that I AM an alcoholic. Big steps for me (as I am sure they were/are for most).

Well, my b/f was busy working 17 hr days since last Thursday and just returned home yesterday. Needless to say, I didn't talk to him much (not really at ALL) over the last week and I was VERY worried about him finding out about my "dirty little secret". See, since we do have a long distance relationship, we don't get to spend much time together and I figured I hid my drinking pretty darn well from him since I am a binge drinker and usually didn't drink when with him. Anyway, we talked tonight and I mentioned how him having to work this weekend was actually a blessing in disguise and that I would explain it all to him someday when we could be face to face. Ha.....like he was gonna settle for that.

So, I spilled the beans.......I told him I was an alcoholic.........I apologized for some bad things that had happened between us in the past because of my drinking. Here's the kicker, he said he KNEW I drank too much sometimes. He didn't say he thought I was an alcoholic, but he was concerned and it effected how he viewed our future together!!! WOW, was I surprised!!! And I thought I was so clever!!!

Anyway, I was soooooooo worried he was going to think less of me or leave me or whatever other irrational fear could possibly pop into my head. Ya know what? He DOESN'T think less of me........he DIDN'T leave me.......and he is PROUD of me!!! I was sooooooooo worried and now that he knows.........I am soooooooo relieved!!!

Bottom line, I know I still have TONS of work to do, but this sober thing........well.........IT ROCKS!!! I think I'm gonna stick around for a while!!!

Congratulations on a full week sober!! I bet you even feel better physically by now. Yeah recognizing and admitting to having a problem is a HUGE step! Its the first one to solving the problem.

I can relate so well to you figuring youir BF had no idea you had a problem.We alkies honestly think we are aable to hide it so well and that nobody knows. At one time I was drinking heavily every single night right in my living room,yet I honestly thought I was telling my husband something he didnt know when I sat him down and told him I needed to get help with my drinking.
I just know its gotta be a big relief to have finally told him and have it out in the open now. Being afraid of telling him must have been a big burden,which is now gone!
Its good to see you so enthusiastic and happy to be sober! I hope it lasts a long time for ya! I cant promise all days will be so good,there will be tough ones,but you can do this! Just think,you never have to drink again!! Keep coming back.

Becky
Old 10-14-2005, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

Wow skinner, that is an awesome post!! I am glad to hear your BF is understanding and is proud of you!! You deserve that. It isn't easy to admit to a loved one you have a problem and that in itself is a step on that ladder up.

It only gets better. This sober thing, the way you feel and your life. It gets better. HUGS to you and I am so glad you're here!!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on the first week! It feels great to have that weight lifted off your shoulders now that you've told me about the drinking, doesn't it? That is a hard secret to carry and makes us feel alone, but after we tell people it always helps us feel better.

I'm happy for you!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats on your 7 days
Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by skinner

Here's the kicker, he said he KNEW I drank too much sometimes. He didn't say he thought I was an alcoholic, but he was concerned and it effected how he viewed our future together!!! thing........well.........IT ROCKS!!! I think I'm gonna stick around for a while!!!
Hi Skinner,
So Glad your here and your going to stick around!!!

You too the first step big time admitting you were an alcoholic, lots of us spend years in the "..problem drinking stage!"

Loved your post, LOL at myself for all the time I thought no one noticed my drinking, what a joke!!! Glad you talked it over with your boyfriend and got it out in the open. A more chicked hearted person, (such as myself) would have played games and keep secrets.

Congrats on 7 days,
Old 10-14-2005, 02:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Congrats on 7 days! Boy good to have one weight off your shoulders huh?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your recovery with us! Way to go!
Old 10-14-2005, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
REZ

Thanks for sharing this inspiring story. Congratulations and keep coming back here and especially to meetings.