Notices

Contemplation

Old 10-12-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Coming out of my shell

Contemplation

As I sit here typing this, I'm hoping I can get my message done before my husband walks in the room. I'm embarassed to tell him "I'm quitting" again. He's heard it before and I have never followed through with it. A little background on me. I'm a 34 year old professional business owner. I started drinking at age 18, partied through college the first time and didn't learn much, got married too early and drank through my 8 years of marriage, then I got divorced and quit drinking for 4 years. Pretty good. I met current hubby 5 years ago so he never really saw me drink until last summer when his mom was out and we had some beer. Now it's just over a year later and I haven't stopped drinking. I drink 3-4 times a week, usually a 6 pack. I'm a very reserve person so I don't like to talk about my problems with anyone, even my hubby. I feel like this is a weakness, and I don't want him to see that side of me. So, here I am turning to a bunch of strangers that I will hope turn into a bunch friends so I'm not doing this alone. That's my story- thanks for listening!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome to SR Turtle. Glad your here. Congradulations on your desire to stop drinking.
Bless, Trish
Old 10-12-2005, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

Turtle U Don't Have To Tell Him, Just Tell Yourself, He Will Notice Quickly And He Will Be Proud. I'm Sure U Can Do It If U Want To.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Welcome to SR Turtle! This is a great place to find support and encouragement!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and a big, warm welcome to SR! We are so glad that you found us here.

Don't worry about telling him. You are making the decision each day to stay sober and he will definitely notice the positve change. Stick around SR and read the posts from all of these wonderful friends here!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
REZ

Have you gone to AA meetings? Does your husband drink? Have you gotten honest with your husband about your problem and what you intend to do about it? I don't think you can solve this problem by only sharing it online. I know I can't. I need to be around real world people who are trying to do the same thing. And I need to be honest with my friends/family about what I am doing. Keep coming back!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

Hi and welcome to SR turtle. I love your Avatar by the way!! You'll find tons of support here. I am still fairly new to the group myself and am still learning about my alcoholism.

I also didn't tell my hubby I quit for the exact same reason you're not. I didn't want to fail and him laugh at me. (He's also an alcoholic but is on day 6 of his own sobriety!! WHOHOO! who'd have thought? Not I) I didn't tell him until I was sober for 2 weeks.

So, there's some of my story. I hope you'll stick around and enjoy the benefits of our shoulders and our knowledge.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ASH

Welcome Turtle, glad you found SR!
Theres lots of support and information here.
We may be strangers but all share the same desire to stop drinking.
Take Care and keep coming, keep reading and keep posting!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Coming out of my shell

Thanks everyone! I'm going to stay, I have to.

Originally Posted by REZ
Have you gone to AA meetings? Does your husband drink? Have you gotten honest with your husband about your problem and what you intend to do about it? I don't think you can solve this problem by only sharing it online. I know I can't. I need to be around real world people who are trying to do the same thing. And I need to be honest with my friends/family about what I am doing. Keep coming back!
I'm going to send him the link to this and let him think about it before I talk to him. I'm still very embarassed and ashamed, but I need to do this. He doesn't really drink and I'm positive he would stop all together if I do and I don't go to AA meetings, I'm not ready for that yet. I'm a very private person with all aspects of my life, that's why I feel more comfortable here, but you're right I can't do this alone in the real world.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ASH

Glad your back again today Turtle, keep it up!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Good to see you posting again Turtle!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Turtle,
You can do this!