Notices

I want to stop drinking

Old 10-11-2005, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to stop drinking

This morning I made up my mind to try to stop drinking. I have tried before and always started up again. The last time, over 10 years ago, I had been sober for a over a year. I was so proud of myself. Then I got this boyfriend and he started - why are you going to all thoes meetings? Do you have to go to a meeting tonight, I want us to go to a movie. And finally, Who are you seeing there?
Can you believe that I stayed with this looser? Within a month I was drinking again.
I hate myself. I can't stand this. I see my friends, I go to the gym and I hide this think from everyone.
I don't want to spend any more time being like this. I feel like such a hypocrite. Act nice, feel good, look good, make turkey soup go home and drink. And I can't stop. Just for one day I want to stop. Just one day.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tree
Just for one day I want to stop. Just one day.
I think today would be a great day, don't you agree? Make up your mind that you're not going to drink today. Tell yourself you won't drink today. Worry about tomorrow when it arrives. Just don't drink today. Ask your HP for strength if you have one. It'll happen.

Originally Posted by Tree
Then I got this boyfriend and he started - why are you going to all thoes meetings? Do you have to go to a meeting tonight, I want us to go to a movie. And finally, Who are you seeing there?
That wasn't a boyfriend. That was a manipulative jerk. Anyone deserving of the title of 'friend' will support your decision 100% and stand by you.

Welcome to SR. This is a great place to be. Hang around here awhile - sobriety gets contagious.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
living clean and free

you can do it!

make sobriety the most important priority in your life and you can do it today.
make a list of the things you would do or give up to stay sober and keep it with you. My wife is like your ex-boyfriend she is always saying "do you have to go to a meeting today" "stay home with the kids tonight" but I just tell her nothing is more important than staying sober. If I stay sober, I am a better father, husband and human being. Good luck and go to meetings 90 in 90 days would be good...\
mike
Old 10-11-2005, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

friends in recovery

My girlfriend did the same types of things. I finnaly had to set some boundries . I know i cant go a day without a meeting . If i dont put my recovery before my relationship we dont have a relationship . So congradulations on your one day , it a big acconplishment . Its one day at a tme.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi Tree

Great decision. You know what to do as well. You've done it before. Get to a meeting, get a set of phone numbers, hang around with people who will support you. Get today right and you're instantly a winner again. Go for it. Many congratulations on your decision to get a better life.

much love
JC
Old 10-11-2005, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Tree,
Welcome to SR, this is a great place to get hope and advice, many posts have already given some.
I like you have had to start over again, the good news is you already have expressed the desire to stop so just keep at it! As others said, make it a priority and do whatever it takes.
I have to take it one day at a time, and the first week sometimes one hour at a time.
YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you can...

If you can, you might want to consider checking yourself into detox at a local hospital. It gives you 100% round-the-clock support for your first 5 days of sobriety, and it also provides you with a clear demarcation point for your "next day and day after that." Sometimes for us longtime drinkers, picking a "starting line" for sobriety is very hard. We can tell ourselves "just one more day" for years and years. Detox was very useful to me in getting me started, and now I have 15 years (not that I'm cocky, far from it. I still go to meetings).

Plus, at detox you get to see people who are in even worse shape than you are. I remember one guy who came to group for the first time when I was there. He looked like absolute death. He had thinning hair, puffy features, bad skin, and a curious opaqueness to his complexion. He moved like an old man. I would have guessed his age at 50 as an absolute minimum. Well, it turned out he had been drinking two fifths of vodka every day since he was 14 years old. He had to set his alarm in the middle of the night to do two shots so he wouldn't be in DTs when he woke up. When he drove himself to the hospital, he had to do two shots sitting in his car in the parking lot so he wouldn't go into DTs during the intake interview.

Anyway, when he came to group, everybody clustered around him pouring compliments on him. "You look great!" "You look so much better than when you first got here!" and on and on like that. I was just astonished that anyone could think the guy looked great--he looked horrible to me.

It turned out he had been in the hospital for two weeks already. Oh, and he was THIRTY years old, not fifty. Iasked the doctor about him later, and he said, very offhandedly, "Oh, him? Yes, we had a hard time keeping him alive for a few days there."

That guy haunts me. To me he was the walking embodiment of what alcohol really is doing to the human body and brain. Whether we're doing it to ourselves quickly or slowly, the stuff is fierce poison.

I thought I was bad when I quit--I WAS bad--but that guy was a lot worse. He just showed me what it was like further down the same road I was on.

He did me a favor. Drinkers never get better. We just go on hold, or we go down. Those are the only two options. The sooner you put your descent on hold, the better for you. Do whatever you have to do.

Best wishes,

Michael
Old 10-11-2005, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i am in the same place as you mabey we can help eachother.im am trying for today to be the first start also heads up if you need a friend were here.