Notices

when will this ever stop

Old 10-09-2005, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when will this ever stop

Thought I could do it....I've been trying so hard to stop drinking. I was stressed out Friday after working all day, so I thought, I'll just get a six pack, and drink a few beers! RIGHT!!!! Ended up getting wasted and doing drugs with people I don't even know. The sad thing is, I went a year without doing drugs. And I even went 3 months without drinking...

My question is, did any of you ever relapse before you finally became sober for good? When will i stop this relapsing. I AM getting better, I do drink a lot less, but I want to stop FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jess
Old 10-09-2005, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jess,I can't really give you an answer.All I can say is in my case I was done.It had to end.I could no longer live like that.So,I went for it.One day at a time for almost 6 months now I have been clean and sober.One day at a time I do not use,no matter what.I also go to meetings daily.No matter what.If I'm really tired or not feeling well,I still go.If I'm really busy,I find the time.If I have cravings or urges I will call a friend or someone in recovery.Today,my recovery,my meetings,my sponsor and all my wonderful friends in NA and AA and also here at SR are my life.My recovery comes before anyone and everything.Without recovery and NA,I have no life.And today,I would not trade the life I live for anything.Especially drugs or alcohol which will only destroy my life and rob me of my happiness.Thats how I do it.It hasnt always been easy,but as time goes on it does get a little easier everyday.Hang in there and don't give up.Get yourself to a meeting.Find a sponsor.Work the steps.Find the happiness and learn how live the good life we all deserve.if I can do this,anyone can.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb

Well.....I relapsed with alcohol countless times.

The key for my sobriety... God....AA and understanding I have a disease.
Alcoholism is progressove and incurable and fatal.
No exceptions. I did not want to die.

Hope yu find your answers ....Blessings
Old 10-09-2005, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Privet

I wish I could remember how many times I've relapsed.

It always starts with the feeling that I can have a few now, but it swiftly slips out of my control.

Since you've stayed away from drugs for a year and drink for 3 months proves that you CAN do it.

Let a lapse be just that, something that we'd prefer not to do but also treat it as out of the ordinary behaviour. Our chosen behaviour is sobriety.

Let lapses be seperated by longer and longer periods of abstinence. Keep working your chosen recovery method and eventually attain your goal.

All the best.

Mongo
Old 10-10-2005, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Privet,
Thanks for sharing, I have been on day 1 more times than I want to count.
I am now paying attention and will not take my sobriety for granted again.

Everyday without drinking is a good day and puts us on a path to long term sobriety.

Keep coming here, one day at a time, and we will be celebrating your 30, 60, 90 days again soon!
Old 10-10-2005, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Privet,
I have relapsed a handful of times. I have found that by becoming involved in AA has really helped me. By becoming involved I don't just go to meetings, but I go out for breakfast after meetings, I got a temporary sponsor, go to social functions and build friendships with sober people. I am accountable to people who have invested time in me and that helps me stay sober. That is what is working for me right now. I believe that in order to change my life, I have to make changes ... for a long time I just stopped drinking and went to a few meetings, but never really changed much else. I was back to drinking in no time. Good luck -- you know you can do it!!!
Kathy
Old 10-11-2005, 04:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jess,

I did lots of relapses. The difference this time is that when I feel like going to my addiction...at that very moment when I am ready to let loose...I get on the phone and call someone from my recovery group.

It is the last thing I want to do. Every cell of my body screams against calling. And I keep telling myself, "Oh, it's too late, I shouldn't call." And things like that. I have to practically force my hand to pick up the receiver and force my fingers to punch in the phone number. But I force myself to call. And I talk it out. And I feel better. And I stay sober.

ChrisMan
Old 10-11-2005, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Privet
Thought I could do it....I've been trying so hard to stop drinking. I was stressed out Friday after working all day, so I thought, I'll just get a six pack, and drink a few beers! RIGHT!!!! Ended up getting wasted and doing drugs with people I don't even know. The sad thing is, I went a year without doing drugs. And I even went 3 months without drinking...

My question is, did any of you ever relapse before you finally became sober for good? When will i stop this relapsing. I AM getting better, I do drink a lot less, but I want to stop FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jess
Heck, quitting drinking is easy - I've quit drinking dozens of times...

Seriously, I don't think there's a person here hasn't had a slip-up. The key is to come back like you did and give yourself ONE "Awshit...", then MOVE ON!

Beating yourself up repeatedly will accomplish nothing. Starting again with new resolve will.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I never replased..............not yet.

I strive to add "not yet" to the end of most statements. Amazing how it turns things around.

Relapse does not have to be a part of recovery........don't quit!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Jess,
How are things today?????
Old 10-12-2005, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Privet
My question is, did any of you ever relapse before you finally became sober for good? When will i stop this relapsing.
Jess
I tried to stop BY MYSELF without rehab or meetings about 5 times. They all lasted under a month. The reason for this is simple. This is a MENTAL disease. In order to stop drinking, we have to change the way we think. You know that thought that always comes up when you think about quitting??? You know the one. Its the one that goes like this: "I want to stop drinking, but I just cannot picture a life without booze"

The reason we cant picture it is because this damned disease has programmed our minds to think we cannot live without it. We must RE-program our minds. THEN and only then can we SEE that life without booze thats out there. And it IS out there. I tried to drink O'douls and Sharps. That lead me right back to the real thing. Then I tried cold turkey. Lasted about two days. Then I tried emptying out beer bottles and pouring sprite into them. I thought that maybe if I had the feel of a bottle in my hand Id be ok. I never thought that as long as I keep the LIFESTYLE around, Im going to continue to relapse. I finally figured out that in order to get rid of the WANT for that lifestyle, I needed to change my way of thinking. My way of viewing life. I knew I needed help to do that. I checked into rehab in April of 2004. I havent had a drink since. I dont even THINK about booze anymore unless Im at an AA meeting talking about it. Its liberating. Its free and it feels great. I can breathe again. Im not anchored down by the bottle anymore. The treatment center deprogrammed me and then built me up with a new foundation to view life. It works if you go in, pay attention, learn,....meet new people, participate, and help others. God bless.....