Notices

Retread checking in

Old 10-04-2005, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ASH

Retread checking in

Retread checking in

I am an alcoholic on day 10 and feeling better. I found this site around day three and have been here soaking up all the great information and would have posted sooner but had difficulty with the registration process, (being wilful and not completely following instructions as usual was a contributing factor!)
After years of fighting with alcohol I had over five years of sobriety where I can honestly say I had no desire to drink. I thanked the universe on a regular basis that the constant obsession I had with when to drink, getting a drink, how much to drink, hiding my drink, controlling my drink, being sick/ashamed from my drink and on and on and on and on had been lifted.
Then, about two years ago I lost my mind and picked up a glass. I was drunk that FIRST time and said "No more". What in fact happened is I started the stupid game, (stupid for me), of trying to control the monster again. It was a long slide but in the last twelve months has escalated to the point where last week I quite saying alcohol was kicking my a** and inserted the word KICKED. I am tired of being physically sick and cannot deal with the shame of hurting and disappoint others, not to mention making a fool out of myself.
Anyway I can post now, (thanks Doug), and wanted to express my thanks to everyone who posts here. The personal stories, encouragement, openness and abundant information has been a huge factor for me getting to what is going to be a great day 10. Being here for the last week, even if only to read and listen dramatically reduced my anxiety, shame loneness and fear. Knowing how many were fighting the same fight at the same time helps.
Looking forward to meeting more of you and moving together with new friends in sobriety.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Doug

Welcome Ash. Glad you got in, and glad your here. Stick around.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

:congrats on your sober time
we love to see new members.

If you have any questions please ask.
We are here to support your quest.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Welcome to SR and we are glad that you are here, I donno but I guess I am also a retread but I haven't had to do it since I have found SR (YET) and I am not there today. I am glad you are here and congrats on you sober time.

Love Vic
Old 10-04-2005, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome Ash
Old 10-04-2005, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ASH

Thanks for the welcome and the registration help! Im sure I will be making posting errors here for ages, this is my first forum experience.

(See, I was trying to do a quick reply to you an replied to myself )

Last edited by ASH; 10-04-2005 at 10:31 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-04-2005, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Ash and congrats on Day 10!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

WELCOME to SR and glad you were able to get back on the bus on your own:bravo im very excited for you and congrats on day 10:bparty3 never give up!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ASH

Thanks Tink, I have been on and off the bus so many times, I have to say last week was really hard. Reading what others were going through at the same time I was helped lots. I was hiding in my house, verrrrry sick day one and two, lightheaded so was afraid to drive my car for the next few days after that.
Anyway, SR helped me get back on the bus, without being strapped to this chair and screen most of last week I might not still be on the bus.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

i understand what you mean. i tried to quit when i was 17 and i "jumped" off the bus then i was pulled back on by my hair by my father and after riding along for a few days i felt back at home. i did fall off once or twice but it was my family that made sure i was back on the bus in no time and now here i am. thats why i admire you for doing what you have to do. bacause i lacked the strength to take the first step on my own. and i find strength in those who can.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by tink360
i understand what you mean. i tried to quit when i was 17 and i "jumped" off the bus then i was pulled back on by my hair by my father and after riding along for a few days i felt back at home. i did fall off once or twice but it was my family that made sure i was back on the bus in no time and now here i am. thats why i admire you for doing what you have to do. bacause i lacked the strength to take the first step on my own. and i find strength in those who can.
Admire yourself, you sound smart, and your staying sober day by day!
Its a struggle and I wish I could have "got it" on one of my eariler bus trips, but looking back will disrtact me from this trip. Lets stay here whatever it takes!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Knowing how many were fighting the same fight at the same time helps.
Just wanted to toss in your quote above, because that's exactly what has held me here this last week or so.

I'm on day 9 myself. I truly enjoy and learn from talking with others who are at the same stage of sobriety as myself.

It's nice to know others out there are in the same boat and it's equally nice to come back here the next day and find...we're all STILL in the same boat.

Something about "strength in numbers" !!

It's good being sober with you Ash! Hope you'll keep this thread going as you journey through your upcoming days here. I'm just one day behind you!

Christina
Old 10-04-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

thanks Ash that meant alot to me and i hope we stay on board together...lets keep eachother strong:hugehug
Old 10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by New2Sobriety
Just wanted to toss in your quote above, because that's exactly what has held me here this last week or so.

I'm on day 9 myself. I truly enjoy and learn from talking with others who are at the same stage of sobriety as myself.

It's nice to know others out there are in the same boat and it's equally nice to come back here the next day and find...we're all STILL in the same boat.

Something about "strength in numbers" !!

It's good being sober with you Ash! Hope you'll keep this thread going as you journey through your upcoming days here. I'm just one day behind you!

Christina
Good being sober with you too Christina! Lets look forward to our 30 day "chip" together, just in the week I have been here I miss people when they dont come back.
Lets keep comming back!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR Ash and congrats on 10 days

nogard
Old 10-04-2005, 04:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by nogard
Welcome to SR Ash and congrats on 10 days

nogard
Thanks for the welcome all the way from Australia. Ill just keep on one day at a time and maybe a trip down under will be in my bright future....
Old 10-04-2005, 06:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ash,

we are glad to have you here!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome Ash and thanks for sharing your story!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello Ash! Just wanted to add my welcome. Glad you found us.....

Hang in there. As you know, it keeps getting better.

Hugs--
Old 10-04-2005, 07:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by Chy
Welcome Ash and thanks for sharing your story!
I am glad to be here getting another chance. It was good for me to write a bit of my story down. Writing it, seeing it, posting it, makes it harder to sweep under the carpet and also helps me commit to memory why I dont wnat that next glass of whatever is being offered!
No more