Notices

quit drinking now addicted to Ultram!

Old 09-28-2005, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quit drinking now addicted to Ultram!

Last year my Dr. Prescribed me Ultram for pain and it stopped my desire to drink. now I'm addicted to Ultram. I can't stop I have tried over and over. I even tried cold turkey and found my self kicking the coach with my legs and feet all night. I was presribed this for my migraines and now I don't know how to get off them. I want to so bad because I'm constantly spending to much time thinking of ways to get them and not run low. Not only did it help with my drinking problem but it helped with depression and migraines. I don't feel suicidal anymore but now I'm a addict. Does anyone out there struggle with this and how did you come off them?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have spoken to your Dr. about this? If Ultram decreases your drinking, depression, and migraines, and you no longer feel suicidal, maybe you need this particular drug, or something similar. I am not a profesional pharmacist, but if you previously had that many symptoms, you may need some type of medication. Was the Ultam given for the above symptoms, or for some type of physical pain?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

Hi and welcome candlestick,

I don't know much about ultram, I did find lots of info on the internet. I'll post a link, maybe in NA here they will have some help for you.

http://www.addict-help.com/ultram-addiction.htm

hang in there

hugs

MMH
Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was initially prescibed this for migraine. I was on Zoloft,imitrex,xanax and nortriptyline for headache prevention. Now I don't need any of these RX and do just fine with ultram for headache & depression. The downside is that I'm very addicted to them and taking more than I should. When I'm running low on my RX I go noratic... I can't even do my day to day things I'm busy calling my Dr. and pharmacy etc. My Dr told me this was not a norcotic and that it does not have the ill effects like Vicodin and others. I was on Vidodin for 2 months and when my headache stopped I just got off them with no problem.. Drinking was not even hard to kick than this!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=MissingMyHalo]Hi and welcome candlestick,

I don't know much about ultram, I did find lots of info on the internet. I'll post a link, maybe in NA here they will have some help for you.

http://www.addict-help.com/ultram-addiction.htm

hang in there
Old 09-29-2005, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would talk to your DR about it

you sound alot like me! I took this to quit drinking, then took that to quit this and then took this to quit that and now i'm all messed up on EVERYTHING! I too THOUGHT it helped with all my other issues, and it SEEMED to for a while, but it was just masking them all. They are all back full force and with a vengence. I finally talked to my dr and I am doing the taper. I was honest with her in that if I tried to quit cold turkey i wouldn't make it. THis way i feel i have a chance. Don't get me wrong, i know i'm not clean but I am headed there. This was the way I finally quit smoking years ago. I know i can do this.

FWIW.....I checked out ultram to take for pain but decided it was just replacing one narcotic for another. Ultram mimics narcotics in your body. It doesn't matter to my body if it is a real narcotic or capable of acting like one. My body still wants it. Good luck to you.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
And LOVING it!

Originally Posted by candlestick
Last year my Dr. Prescribed me Ultram for pain and it stopped my desire to drink. now I'm addicted to Ultram. I can't stop I have tried over and over. I even tried cold turkey and found my self kicking the coach with my legs and feet all night. I was presribed this for my migraines and now I don't know how to get off them. I want to so bad because I'm constantly spending to much time thinking of ways to get them and not run low. Not only did it help with my drinking problem but it helped with depression and migraines. I don't feel suicidal anymore but now I'm a addict. Does anyone out there struggle with this and how did you come off them?
Early 2000, if memory serves? My GP set me up with Ultram to manage shoulder pain. I have had surgeries on both shoulders and probably have had at least a hundred dislocations. At the time, he said, I'd like you to try something new, called Ultram, it's non addictive. ????. Three months later he stopped perscribing it as evidence to the contrary was popping up all over.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I choose to live

Hey Candlestick Welcome on SR...I believe there's a section here for subtanceabuse...But of course you're welcome to post everywhere on the boards...I see you're rather new here...I'm curious to read some more of your posts...Welcome...And see you around...Love from Stefanie :hug
Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow I'm not alone. I do jump from one to another. I had a seizer Thursday night and it was sooo scary I did see my Dr. and she also is tapering me off. This is my first day and I have been okay ... Let me know how you are doing on your tapering off system. I need some encouragement!