Notices

another day, GETTIN EXCITED

Old 09-28-2005, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

another day, GETTIN EXCITED

Another day (day 8 of sobriety)and im gettin excited. I know its still early but im starting to feel better by not drinking. Im takig lots of vitamins and drinking lots of water. Ive lost 10 lbs in the eight days that i have not drank(after consuming 10,000 calories a week.........seriously). Anyone in the early stages of quitting should hang in there, it gets better!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I sure hope it gets better! I'm only on day 3 but haven't lost an ounce! I know I had to be taking in at least 1250 + extra calories a day by drinking. Five, six, seven glasses of wine (and those were my size glasses, not wine glasses...more like tumbler size) every day, maybe a beer or two also. That's a lot of extra calories on top of the food I ate.

Now I'm taking the vitamins (why didn't I take vitamins when I was drinking?? Oh, that's right...because I didn't give a crap about myself!). But I'm also drinking a ton of Kool-Aid sweetened with Splenda, not sugar, or Crystal Lite. Tap water tastes like crap here, no thanks!

At some point I have to see some weight coming off. I've notice already my midsection (ribcage and below) is not puffed out like it was. I'm also hoping soon my skin will start looking clearer.

Can't wait until I'm on day 8, like you! That's gonna be a good feeling.

I haven't missed the drinking at all. Reading some of the posts here can really bring me down, so I try to just stay with the positive ones.

Anyway, enough about me...let me congratulate you on your eight days!

By the way...did you experience any withdrawal symptoms??
Old 09-28-2005, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Withdrawls

Unfotunately(not to bring u down) i did. I suffered anxiety and sleepless nights until day six . Keep taking your vitamins and drinking lots of water and try to avoid excess sugars. Hang in there!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Huh??? I'm starting to wonder about withdrawal symptoms. I haven't had any at all, and I drank daily for almost 20 years. I've had something like withdrawal symptoms when I am hung over, having the sweats, nausea, racing heart beat and can't sleep. That's what I call being sick from a hangover, but I haven't felt anything in three days. I missed two days of work last week from being so hungover I couldn't think straight.

Anyway, my point is, that I am HIGHLY motivated to never drink again because I learned I had abnormal liver tests on Monday. That was all I needed to hear and I stopped drinking right then and there. And I haven't had one sleepless night, no shakes, no sadness or depression. Do you think the degree of withdrawal someone feels has anything to do with the level of their motivation not to drink anymore? (That question is directed at anyone who would like to address it.)

For example, if I was only telling myself I "need" or "want" to quit drinking, but didn't have the solid reason which I have now, I probably would be missing it and be sad not to have any alcohol and would be longingly looking at the bottle of Nyquil in the cabinet. I might even think I'm having the shakes or my heart is racing, just to give myself a reason to drink again. I'm guessing it has something to do with my level of motivation and my will to live that has me not experiencing any withdrawals.

Does anyone else feel the same about my theory?

Or am I just lucky to still be feeling good (or actually better) than I did three days ago before I stopped? Working in the ER for years and seeing so many people come in with alcohol withdrawal symptoms, even seizures, and watching the doctors have to medicate these people to calm them down and get them to sleep, I was really afraid of withdrawal happening to me. I think that's why I never went more than one day without drinking because I was afraid of landing in the ER myself.

But so far, so good, and I just wonder why?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Congrats to you both!!!!

Dont' wonder why...just be happy about it.

you have come to the right place for support, we are all here doing this recovery thing together.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Way to go and welcome to SR

nogard
Old 09-28-2005, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
knucklehead

It has been a mixed bag for me. Sometimes I am really positive and then sometimes I am negitive. I guess I am bipolor withdrawal. I think you have something there with self motivation. I would like to push attitude in the circle.

I still feel withdrawal symtoms. Today is day 10 again. I am not going to take a quick trip back to day 1 again. I am motivated but it changes along with my attitude. I am struggling. It is a way. Well at least I am not drinking now. I guess I will sip some hot teas and do it a day at a time. Things are way better without adding alcohol in my life that is a hard confortable fact.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey kckman....

I hope you're learning, like I am, that being sober is awfully EMPOWERING.

I just came home from the store to find my husband wanting to pick a fight with me over something. He grabbed the bottle of wine and two glasses, filled himself one and then started to pour one for me. I firmly told him 'I AM NOT DRINKING!"....and then I proceeded to stand firm in our argument, without flying off the handle like I would have done if I'd had even one drink.

I was in complete control of my behavior for once, and damn...it felt good.

Still does!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

congrats to you both!!

one day at a time...we'll all get there