Notices

Urgently Need a Good Detox-

Old 09-28-2005, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Urgently Need a Good Detox-

Greetings All,

Very pleased to find this site and all its wisdom and compassion.

As it is 6am, I will try and be succinct.
I am trying to get my mother into some sort of intensive addiction/mental health program. I have made many calls and am increasingly confused. The shlocky ones say 'shure, c'mon over' (including one that didn't bother to mention that the membership spoke exclusively Russian.) Others clinics seem more professional and insist that she must go through detox first.

So, I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any info/experience with detox programs in the New York City Area. (Long Island is workable also)
I am a bit gunshy over where to send her, as she is passively willing to go and is relying exclusively on my judgement.

In addition to her addiction, depression, bi-polarity, and (if I don't police her drug intake) psycosis are all part of the scenery. ANy info on any good programs for after detox would also be of tremendous help. Her last two psychiatrists virtually ignored all my pleas and concern over her addiction and were content merely to dispense perscriptions (the kind of attitude that got her addicted in the first place).

Many many thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here is a link to a site that lists rehab and detox centers in New York.
It mentions Oxford Houses and they have been highly recommended by folks I know.
Hope this helps.
I'm sure others will be along soon with more ideas.
http://www.theagapecenter.com/Treatm...s/New-York.htm
Old 09-28-2005, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery....

I have no information for you.. but.. just wanted to say Hi.. and send a prayer out for your mom...

I'm sorry that life has got the best of her.. and you get to pick up the pieces...

I am praying that God sends you all solutions promptly and painlessly... and that your mother finds some measure of peace...

Blessings Smiley..
Old 09-28-2005, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there... I'm afraid I don't have much information for you either... but I wanted to say God bless for taking care of your mom this way. I can't imagine the hurt it must cause you. One thing I can add, though, is that you're right about finding a psychiatrist with a specialty in addiction. I used to scoff at that idea, thinking it really didn't matter... but it does. Mental health is wound up inextricably in our addictions; you can't treat one without treating the other. Do not accept anyone else who isn't an authority on addiction.

I wish I could do more; hopefully, others will have better information.

My thoughts are with you and your mother.

--anne
Old 09-28-2005, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
alconaut

Hi Smiley.

Just wanted to wish you good luck. Even though your mother is passive, at least she's willing to get some help, and that's a good thing. I pray for her recovery, and for you to find some solace in knowing that many warm wishes are being sent your way.

Don't forget to be kind to yourself.