Notices

Trying Abstinence

Old 09-27-2005, 07:42 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Midas

Yay 4 Days already! Keep It Goin!!

Sometimes the greatest control over your addiction, is exerted when you stop trying to forcibly control it...

Now, I know that is incredibly contradictory, but in many cases turns out to be true.
The unseen power struggle.

Addictive Voice1: "Hey! Buddy! What's wrong? You're not trying to control me anymore."
Addictive Voice2: "Umm, I think it's because he's quitting. He's not fighting us."
AV1: "Oooh, aren't you the obersvant vice! No Fight? No FUN."
AV2: "Where's the fun if he doesn't play our game?"
AV1: "Exactly. I'm leaving. Harumph!"
AV2: "What?! You can't leave! I wouldn't have anyone to argue with then!!"
AV1: "Suit yourself. I'm still leaving. Give me a call if he changes his mind."

Believe it or not, this conversation used to go on all the time inside my head. I hope I'm not the only one...

Old 09-27-2005, 07:46 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Paused

You're doing great Chip. Don't let the h@ll hound cravings nipping at your heels get the best of you. What is the first thing we do when pressures build and tensions rise? We grab for a drink. It's learning to catch ourselves and bypass the temptations that makes the difference between drunk and sober. We know grabbing a beer is just a temporary fix. It hurts us in the long run.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

Hi Chip

I'm going the same route as you. Total abstinence. I have tried cutting back and couldn't. I have tried quitting for a while and started up again thinking I'd have that control you mentioned. Well, I figure if I can not control it then it doesn't belong in my life. So, abstinence is that solution. It is gone from my life. I was a binge drinker. Drink and drink, make myself sick, pass out, black out and keep drinking, what ever. That is no longer my life. It has been 12 days today and I am SO happy with that! I feel good every morning and every night when I go to bed. I feel good through out my days now. I don't constantly think of drinking and waiting for the evening so I won't feel so bad about drinking. I don't have the guilt. That is a huge weight that is gone.

I hope I am not repeating others that have posted to you but this is my testimony to abstinence. I hope you continue your journey. It won't be easy and a bed of roses but you'll go to bed proud of yourself.

So, welcome, join in where ever you want to and feel free to post constantly if you need us. Take care.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:03 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

"If, at the end of your 30 day trial period, you are not completely satisfied with your Sobriety, you are entitled however, the refund of your misery."

You're too funny!! I love it!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

Uh I saw your first post and didn't see the date. So here's to your 4 days sobriety. That is wonderful. It will get easier! Just hang in there and as they say, 1 day at a time is great. It truely helps. Be proud that you have come this far.

A couple of tips. One person (angle hugs?) mentioned in a thread when I first came here that melatonin, a natural sleep aid, could help with sleeping problems. And take vitamines. The melatonin does work. I don't use it now because it really worked well.
I now write in a journal. Just anything and everything that happened in my day. I think it helps me work out my stresses.

I wish I could help more. Oh my (step) mom says that no caffiene is good. She's a recovered drinker.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:17 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chip
Dear Bigsis, lauralu and earlybird (and anybody else who is reading this)

I really do have to focus on today. Things were going great. Now, I'm feeling a bit depressed. I'm having a difficult time at work with some difficult people. My youngest kid is ill, at home with his mother, and the older one is "helping me" at work. I've got a headache.....and you know what? I am craving a drink.
Thats ok,...its to be expected. A little depression goes witht the territory. When those cravings kick in,..just think back to your BAC charts. Think back to how your life was so constricted with TRYING to drink normally and how you are free now. People will seem difficult for a few days. It MAY just be you. You may be overly irritable. Again,..goes with the territory. You are doing GREAT. Dont lose sight of that. Keep updating us here and that will be ANOTHER reason to stay sober!!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:36 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi folks!

It's day 5 for me, and things are going alright. I'm pretty stressed out and anxious about other things, and I supose I have a bit of extra "edgy-ness". I made my promise to myself this morning, and I will not give in on day 5! Today, I booked an appointment with my doctor for next week. I plan on attending an AA meeting on the weekend. These are two future events which I feel very postive about.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the AA meeting. I figure it would be good to find out more about it, and perhaps meet some people who have similar "issues". When I first started posting, and considering recovery, I had my mind stuck on "secular" programs. AA seems to be very accessible and common. Also, I've been thinking about my spirituality, and my refusal to open my mind up to it. I'm not a "church-y" kind of person. However, I wonder if I was repressing my spiritual health and growth through my "self medication"? I do believe in a higher power, or at least I used to believe.

I'm trying to keep my mind off booze. I had a bit of an anxiety "wave" a couple hours ago, and I read a great thread here on this website. I had a nice pink grapefruit juice on ice, and tried some deep breathing.

Thanks for checking up on me, and thanks for the advice and encouragement Midas 4health, earlybird and everyone here I sure need it!
chip
Old 09-28-2005, 05:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Chip, so far so good.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi folks!

Also, I've been thinking about my spirituality, and my refusal to open my mind up to it. I'm not a "church-y" kind of person. However, I wonder if I was repressing my spiritual health and growth through my "self medication"? I do believe in a higher power, or at least I used to believe.
I'll be damned.

From my perspective, you have come a long way in a short time. It's good that you are exploring various opportunities for sobriety including AA. I've only been dry for about 3+ months, so I'm no expert on the fellowship. But I can at least give you a perpesctive on AA meetings for a newcomer.

When I first started AA, I was ready to quit it after a week. It seemed like a cult and I wanted no part of it. Luckily I had a family member to bounce things off of at the beginning, and he encouraged me to stick with it. I'm glad I did. His advice about AA was this: "AA is like a garbage dump, you have to sift through a bunch of $hit to find something good". Meaning stick around until you find someone you connect with, and politely blow off the used car salesman types who are going to save the world. These people are 2 steppers who are basically dry drunks and have no sobriety.

Maybe I found the right people, perhaps I haven't, but the essence of AA from what I have been taught is in fact sobriety through sprituality. Anybody can get dry and lay off booze. A guy in prison, someone strapped down in a nut house, they are all dry. But, are these people without access to booze sober? That's why I quoted you because it seems you are searching for something more than just not drinking.

AA is about living a way of life and drinking is just a small part of the program. It's about taking a good hard look at yourself and improving upon your personal defects. It's about making amends to those who you have hurt such as the drunken holiday you mentioned. It's about improving your conscious contact with your Higher Power Most of all, from what I gather, it's about helping out fellow drunks. As they say, you need to give it away to keep it.
And two drunks named Bill and Bob realized that the only way for them to keep sober was to help another drunk. I believe this was truly Devine Intervention for the founders to come up with the program.

In a nutshell that's my take on AA. Go to several meetings and don't give up at first if you are bombarded with people getting all over your case about getting a sponsor. You'll find someone or group you can relate to. I did. It just took some time. Besides when you go, Chip can pick up a white chip.

Keep the plug in the jug.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Irish Virus
I'll be damned.

From my perspective, you have come a long way in a short time. It's good that you are exploring various opportunities for sobriety including AA. I've only been dry for about 3+ months, so I'm no expert on the fellowship. But I can at least give you a perpesctive on AA meetings for a newcomer.

When I first started AA, I was ready to quit it after a week. It seemed like a cult and I wanted no part of it. Luckily I had a family member to bounce things off of at the beginning, and he encouraged me to stick with it. I'm glad I did. His advice about AA was this: "AA is like a garbage dump, you have to sift through a bunch of $hit to find something good". Meaning stick around until you find someone you connect with, and politely blow off the used car salesman types who are going to save the world. These people are 2 steppers who are basically dry drunks and have no sobriety.

Maybe I found the right people, perhaps I haven't, but the essence of AA from what I have been taught is in fact sobriety through sprituality. Anybody can get dry and lay off booze. A guy in prison, someone strapped down in a nut house, they are all dry. But, are these people without access to booze sober? That's why I quoted you because it seems you are searching for something more than just not drinking.

AA is about living a way of life and drinking is just a small part of the program. It's about taking a good hard look at yourself and improving upon your personal defects. It's about making amends to those who you have hurt such as the drunken holiday you mentioned. It's about improving your conscious contact with your Higher Power Most of all, from what I gather, it's about helping out fellow drunks. As they say, you need to give it away to keep it.
And two drunks named Bill and Bob realized that the only way for them to keep sober was to help another drunk. I believe this was truly Devine Intervention for the founders to come up with the program.

In a nutshell that's my take on AA. Go to several meetings and don't give up at first if you are bombarded with people getting all over your case about getting a sponsor. You'll find someone or group you can relate to. I did. It just took some time. Besides when you go, Chip can pick up a white chip.

Keep the plug in the jug.
Irish,
I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this with me. I like the part about "shifting through a bunch of $hit before finding something good". AA wouldn't be so widespread, and so successful if it didn't have something special about it. I like the idea of finding people who I can relate to.

I will attend some meetings, for sure.

It might seem like I've covered alot of ground here in a short period of time....especially considering the nature of my first posts. In fact, it has been a long journey to get me to this point where I'm writing this. I was trying to "control" my drinking long before I logged on here. I wasn't very good at it, but I did manage to hide it well. All the while, things just kept falling apart on me, and I couldn't admit to myself that it had anything to do with my drinking. As it got harder to hide my drinking, I started trying to control it. I went through all sorts of measures to control my drinking before I showed up here with my "plan". You folks just got to see the peak of this crazyness.....

Inside, I'm finding that something must've be missing. I may have shut off a part of myself, or ignored it. I may have lost something along the way.....There must be a reason why I would medicate myself with booze. I can't accept that I would cause so much damage to myself for no reason at all. I must deal with this to find true recovery. I don't want to stop at being a "dry drunk". That will not work for me, especially because my livelihood is based on the sale of alchohol. As I am right now, I'm very afraid that I don't have the tools to be sober...yet.

I feel like I need to find the reason(s) I have this drinking problem, and deal with them directly. Also, I need something to fill in the space which drinking took up in my life. I knew this all before I came here, Irish. I felt it, but dismissed it. I would put these thoughts away, and numb my mind.

Even my "30 days of abstience trial" has traces of denial in it's conception and explanation. The real trial is to find real recovery.

Wow, I didn't mean to write a book here
Thank you again for being here, Irishviris,
chip
Old 09-28-2005, 11:21 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Chip....you and others newly sober give me so much joy!

It's a way for me to remember how I once existed
and how I now live.

Thanks for sharing your awesome progress....
Old 09-29-2005, 05:02 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

Great work Chip. And, I know you will feel more at ease after you get acclimated in AA. It is a place to feel that you are not alone and you will be able to get things off your chest and feel much better. AA is a daily milestone for me, like a home base, where I feel I have accomplished sobriety for the day. Chances are my mind will be right after the meeting and I will have a very good chance of not drinking after I attend. This forum has worked wonders for me. I didn't find this site during my first try at sobriety and I feel much more well rounded having both to go to.

Just go to the meeting and don't put pressure on yourself about the sponsor thing and sharing. Do what you feel in your heart. Give time to time. You will eventually get all the tools you need. Try not to control the outcomes. The promises will materialize in due time.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:57 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol and Liveandletlive,
It's day 6, and I'm finding I'm going through a bit of a cycle of emotions...from confidence to anxiety. I'm going to avoid coffee today, for sure, as I feel a bit "jittery". I'm enjoying my V8 juice, and I'm going to distract myself with my hobby this afternoon. I've got to get centered and grounded before I start my work day (I keep strange hours...always have...always will)

Yes, today is day 6, and I've promisied myself that I will not drink today, no matter what happens.
chip
Old 09-29-2005, 05:18 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol and Liveandletlive,
It's day 6, and I'm finding I'm going through a bit of a cycle of emotions...from confidence to anxiety. I'm going to avoid coffee today, for sure, as I feel a bit "jittery". I'm enjoying my V8 juice, and I'm going to distract myself with my hobby this afternoon. I've got to get centered and grounded before I start my work day (I keep strange hours...always have...always will)

Yes, today is day 6, and I've promisied myself that I will not drink today, no matter what happens.
chip
Doing great, Chip... !!!! Rock on witcha sober self !! Proud of ya man....
Old 09-29-2005, 05:53 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Smile

Hey Chip...

Today is your day 6, and my day 4. I stopped when I got the news on Monday morning that my liver tests came back elevated. Now I go to the doctor in the morning to discuss this. Of course it was my drinking that did this to me, and now I am like you, I absolutely refuse to drink again. I don't miss it much, and I'm starting to realize I might even be able to do some of the things I used to enjoy when I was drinking (going to my favorite Mexican restaurant/bar, going out to shoot pool) and I might even be able to enjoy those things sober! I think I can!

Anyway, I was just wondering if it would be okay if I followed along with you here at your thread and compared feelings, etc. with you, since I'm only two days behind you?

I even checked for AA meetings today too. We have about 35 a day in this town, believe it or not, but they all have funny names, making me wonder which, if any I should attend, things like Gay AA, and things in Spanish, some from the Rescue Mission. Don't know if I'm ready to go to Gay AA ! LOL..

Anyway, if it's okay, I'd like to follow along with you?

Christina
Old 09-29-2005, 07:12 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi Earlybird! Thanks for the encouragement!

Hello Christina,
It would be wonderful if we could follow eachother! Good job reaching day 4.

How do you feel?

Let's stay sober together, and keep in touch here on SR.

I'm doing alright. I've been coping with some anxiety here and there. I run a restaurant/bar and I have no choice but to exist in this enviornment sober now. At some point, earlier, I admitted that I did most of my heavy drinking when the restaurant is closed for the night....so I'm not in the mindframe to drink when things are "hopping". Tonight I have a DJ and 3 bands playing a mini-rock concert. I'm hiding in my office, checking out the website.... I'm not really craving a drink today. Last night I had my first decent night's sleep since quitting, and I've been eating a well balanced diet today, with lots of vegtables.

I promised myself this morning that I will not drink today, and I have no intention of breaking my promise tonight. Let's stay sober together.

This website is great because we are all on the same team! I wish you the best in your struggle, Christina, and let's stick together. I'll come back to check in on you...........
peace out,
chip
Old 09-29-2005, 07:51 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Midas

Way 2 Go, Chip! You'll soon have a whole week of sober days collected! Then comes 2 weeks...then 3...and soon enough you'll have a whole month put together.

Congrats N2S on 4 days so far!!

The following text is a popular and frequently read passage from the Big Book at AA meetings;

The Ninth Step Promises

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear.

We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.

Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.

We will suddenly realize that God (of your own understanding, even if that means the absence thereof) is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

3rd ed. Big Book pg. 83 & 84

Keep Up the Good Work!!

Old 09-29-2005, 08:25 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Chip,

Thanks so much for your nice reply. Interesting you run a bar and restaurant. You definitely sound committed, even in that environment!

Reading your posts is empowering for me. I've read a lot of posts at SR that brought me down, but yours do not! In fact, I think we must share some of the same strength regarding not drinking again. I haven't even come close once. I drank daily for probably 15 to 20 years, and I'm proud to say a bottle of wine sits in my fridge and I've never been tempted to even taste it since Monday. I'm just committed because I refuse to literally kill myself. I have no idea what the doctor will tell me tomorrow when I meet with him about my elevated liver tests, but I'm going to be happy to report to him that I will be on my fifth day of sobriety!

Nope, I'm not going back ! It's time to learn all about truly living our lives. I know it's a slow and long process, but eventually those "receptors" in our brains won't be searching for alcohol anymore to "feel" good, we'll actually be feeling good because we truly feel good! How about that concept!

I haven't had any problems sleeping Chip. Nor withdrawals, but I'm sure it's because my mind is really made up.

Can't wait to talk again Chip. Please stay in touch.

Christina

P.S.

Thanks for the congrats Midas (I didn't realize I was N2S until reading your post two times! ) I really enjoyed reading your AA quote. I can identify with each and every line of it. That truly is the phase I am in. I'm sure Chip would agree too! Right Chip? Chip??? Oh Chip????
Old 09-29-2005, 08:36 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Chy

I am so darn happy for you! *hugs*
Old 09-29-2005, 11:25 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Christina,
I meant to get back sooner. I failed to post it because we had to break up a watergun fight, at my place of work.....

My thoughts will be with you as you see your doctor....please let everyone here know how it goes. You sound like you have the courage to do this right, and you sound like you are a strong person.

I have a question for you: why do you have the bottle of wine in your fridge? Please don't be offended this question. I ask because I have a bottle in a kitchen cupboard, and I have found that although I'm committed to quitting.....little thoughts sneak into my mind about that bottle. I quickly put those thoughts aside, but they pop up into my consiousness from time to time, and I know they linger in my sub-consious mind.

I should answer my own question about the bottle in MY kitchen cupboard. It's 1/4 of a bottle of single malt which a dear friend gave to me before he moved away. I don't want to throw it out and I don't want to EVER break my promise to myself. The next time I see my brother, he is going to aquire a very nice single malt. I don't want it in my house...not so much because it's a temptation...but mainly because it is an object which I don't want to think about.

I hope you find some things in your day to make you feel good. Hey, it's day 5 for you now!
I hope we will talk again....soon
chip

Thanks for posting that quote Midas, it's inspiring.
Hello CHY I'm happy for you too!!!

I wish everyone on SR a nice night, and a wonderful day tommorow.
chip