Notices

Feeling very depressed

Old 09-19-2005, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling very depressed

I've been clean for a week now and I am feeling so depressed and highly irritable. Will I feel better soon?

I hope so.................
Old 09-19-2005, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Angel,

I think you will feel better soon, but I think this is the time to see that stopping drinking is only the beginning. For me, when I drank, it was to cover up emotions that I didn't want to feel. When I stopped drinking, it meant beginning to deal with years of emotions that had been held back. It's not easy to get through it, but it can be done. Hang in there!

Love, Anna
Old 09-19-2005, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

Hi Angelhugs. I am Rob. I just want to tell you that we go through many ups and downs in early recovery. I know that the more I focus on what my HP wants me to become, the better I feel. Sometimes just posting how you feel and getting a reply will get you out of a depressed state.

Just remember how depressed you felt when you were using. No depression can ever compare. In sobriety the highs are not as high and the lows are not as low as when we were active.

Irritability is due to having too much nervous energy. Consider reading or going for a walk to use up some of that nervous energy. After you get out of your own head, you will feel better.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by 51anna
Hi Angel,

It's not easy to get through it, but it can be done. Hang in there!

Love, Anna
((((Angel))))

I know that it is hard and the Roller Coaster Ride is going to be around for a while but at least we can feel today, I am not in good space today either, but atleast we are here and not out there. I will be praying for you and maybe your Higher Power will allow to let you have some peace today.

Love Vic
Old 09-19-2005, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

((((((((Angel))))))))) When I get to feeling depressed it helps if I can focus on the positives in my life. Even if the only positive I can think of is the fact that I didn't use today. Remember, everyday an addict doesn't use is a miracle. Also, I had to remember that it took a long time and a lot of work to get as screwed up as I was when I quit. It was going to take a lot of time and work to get better--and today it is better. It will get better for you, too.

Hugs to you--
Old 09-19-2005, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm going through the same thing Angel and it's been 3 months. I keep hanging on because I do know that it will get better with time and it sure beats being hung over every day. I now have to feel things I haven't felt in years. Not easy admitting what I had become but I'm becoming a much better person the longer I stay sober. Hang in there
Old 09-19-2005, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

It's part of the same ole, same ole viscous cycle Angel. You know how it works. My guess is you'll probably feel better as soon as you step off of the roller coaster ride for good. And that folks...is my tough love for the day.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried to eat healthy today also but my cravings got so bad that I just called and ordered a large pizza. Haha.! Eating is a lot better than drinking. I had such a rough day maybe this pizza can be considered my reward. This day was pure hell as far as the mental obsession and desire to use. I felt so beaten up by the compulsion that it just makes me sick. I did not use though and I am here clean and sober tonight. I ran today which felt great. It did me so much good to get some exercise, I feel like I really did something great for my body.

Thanks for the support friends!