Notices

Getting started...

Old 09-20-2005, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting started...

I gotta start somewhere.... I'm ashamed of the path I chose that has lead me to alcohol addiction. It's a problem I've not addressed for too long. I hope you guys can help me
Old 09-20-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more hostages

Welcome Gottawin! Here is a really good place to begin your journey. I really hope you find your way. Keep reading the posts, there is tons of info here.
The shame eventually goes away- it really does.
love
amy
Old 09-20-2005, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and Welcome to SR!

Carol here an alcoholic in AA recovery.

Sobriety is a grand way to live....Congratulations for seeking help.

Please let us know if you need help ask questions if you like.

Blessings....
Old 09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement. I have read through some posts and see that others are going through the same emotional battle as me. What is that beast that causes us to do the very thing we don't want to do? I'm confused and frustrated that I can't break the stronghold.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Addiction is so strong and grabs us so hard . We have to decide each day that we are gonna remain sober for that day. This battle can be won.

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is a

good place for info....check out the Alcoholism section.

The top sticky 'Quitting" is very helpful.

Many of us have had the same fears you have....we do understabd.
You are not alone,
Old 09-20-2005, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just keep reading. You can draw strength from other people's stories. Learn as much as you can and find a program that works for you.

Glad you found SR.

-pedagogue
Old 09-20-2005, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heather

Changing our Thinking

Hi - my name is Heather addict/alcoholic - And I'd like to share with you somethings that were shared with me when I first came into recovery !! I was told that I suffer from the disease of addiction - Which was broke down to me that in essence - I have a thinking disease - I have a brain & way of thinking that tells me I don't have a disease & I can "handle just one" or "just one more time"!! But, we do have a solution that is proving itself in millions of people all over the world !! It's called the 12 steps !! This is a God given program - and for me in order to "quit - quitting & BE DONE" I had to find a Higher Power of my understanding ! Thats why we say this is a spiritual NOT religious program !! Because alot of individuals shy away from the possibility of being molded into a certain kind of religion !! For me though, I had to find my GOD like yesterday !! Or I wasn't going to make it. I had proven that my will fails me time & time again. After HONESTLY admitting complete defeat & having the absolute willingness to surrender to my God & this simple program - and becoming openminded that maybe these 12 steps would work - after I had tried every other possible method - except the one that I was 1st introduced to - but didn't want to do the work !! I came to believe that God will do for me what I can't do for myself ! I know of alot of people who have recovered from the obession of the mind regarding drugs & alcohol by going to church & doing to therapists, but none of that worked for me !! So I can only share with you what I have done that is working in my life & in the lives of those that I am surrounded by daily !! So simple saying "If you want what we have to off, and are willing to make the effort to get it - then you are READY to take certain steps" !!

Please let me know if you have an AA Big Book - if so I'd like to point out a few pages that might give you alittle guidance & if you don't I'd like to send you one !! So please let me know - you can email me directly at angel_42069hk******.com & if your interseted in talking I'll get your # or give you mine !!

Take care - & may God Bless All
Old 09-20-2005, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

Originally Posted by gottawin
Thanks for the encouragement. I have read through some posts and see that others are going through the same emotional battle as me. What is that beast that causes us to do the very thing we don't want to do? I'm confused and frustrated that I can't break the stronghold.
We have a disease, but we can put it into remission. Don't think too much, just focus on recovery. Welcome to SR.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heather

Don't want to discredit anyone else's ES&H

I know that when I first started coming to meetings in my area - I was being given a really blurred mixed message !! And I kept going back out - and I didn't want to get high - but that was the only life that I knew - I didn't know how to not get high !!

People were telling - Just go to meeting & don't think about getting high !!

I couldn't just NOT think about getting high - telling me not to think about it made me think about it !!

Thank God for the group of "real" addict/alcoholics that god opened the door for me to get connected with - because they could relate to me !! I believe that I was surrounded by "potential" addict/alcoholics that couldn't help me !!

So I don't want to discredit what anyone is saying AT ALL !! But I'm just here to share my ES&H - and my experience of "Just go to meetings & don't think about getting high or drunk" failed miseralby !! Finally I was introduced to the solution !!

If I told you all "Just don't think about a pink flying elephant" - I bet everyone that just read that has a picture of a pink flying elephant on their heads right now !! If you don't then your not an addict like me - if you do then - you could probably help me & I could probably help you with ES&H's that we could share with one an other !! And that doesn't mean that I focus on differences rather then similarities - cause I'm still believe 100% in UNITY !! But I also believe in degrees of sicknesses & rates of recovery !!

Thanks !!
Old 09-20-2005, 11:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gottawin
What is that beast that causes us to do the very thing we don't want to do? Beast's Name Alcoholism I'm confused and frustrated that I can't break the stronghold
You CAN and WILL with patience, willigness to do whatever it takes...and learning to LET GO.

Gottawin...a warm welcome to SoberRecovery, you've already gotten some wonderful advice...I can't add much other then the confusion and frustration will leave the longer you stay sober...that's where I am today, and so can YOU, you don't have to live another day miserable tormented from this buggar. Please remember you're not alone with this, we're all doing this walk together, WE all understand.

Wishing you all the best in your journey to sobriety.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hey gottawin, welcome to SR and take heart read some posts and make yourself comfy plenty of support and inspiration here.

nogard
Old 09-20-2005, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ok, that stung a little, but i needed to hear it. Guess I'm not sold out to the fact that I am alcoholic, but this brings me a lot closer. I know it, but don't want to accept it...
Old 09-20-2005, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

acceptance is the hard part, but once you accept it becomes time to take action and you life gets better and better. you will know a new freedom.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That label of alcoholic is a huge hurdle.
You may not be. Anyway...

Try this....do not drink today.
Do the same tomorrow...and you are on your way to sobriety.

Hope that is possible for you. Blessings
Old 09-20-2005, 03:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yep usually things we don't want to hear..sting a bit.

Personally I don't think you need to label yourself that's your choice, you're aware that you have a problem and your reaching out for help...that's a HUGE start for you.