Notices

Marijuana Question...

Old 09-06-2005, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

Marijuana Question...

I have a question, please give your viewpoints & reasoning behind your feelings/experience.

I want to know what you feel are the negative aspects of marijuana use??? Also what do you feel the positive aspects are? AND Why....

Do you believe that there are people who can use & not abuse marijuana?

Any type of feedback or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Illegal, harmful, impairing drug that different people use for many reasons.

You will get debates from all kinds of people because it isn’t as life threatening as other substances but people have died because of its use. One life is one too many.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actaully there is not one reported case of any dying as a direct result from marijuana use! And way more people are dying becuase they cannot stop stuffing thier face with food! No drug is good! I used marijuana for years in the past years and years. I dont see any possible medical use for it. Nothing good can come from it. But if people only used marijuana there would be no use for these forums!

I certainly do think people can use with out abusing, but they can with alcohol to but is dangerous! And really not worth the risk.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

Illegal, yes, that it is. I think that is important, but then again, that does not mean I agree with all of the different laws imposed. Personally, I believe alcohol should be illegal but reality is...it is very much legal & very easy to get your hands on.
What do you mean by people have died because of it's use?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by EyeOpener
Actaully there is not one reported case of any dying as a direct result from marijuana use! ... dangerous! And really not worth the risk.
Tell that to an impaired driver and a telephone pole.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

I use and to my knowledge, I don't see that I am doing anything wrong or that it is making me irresponsible. I have a steady job, I pay all of my bills on time, have good credit, lease my own car in my name, am going to school, spend time with my family, help others. I just do not see where if I smoke that my life gets out of control....

If I am missing something, I want someone to help open my eyes!!

I know it is illegal, that fact I do know, which is not reason enough not to do it.

I always remember the things that I do & say, which does not always happen with drinking alcohol, well hard liquor. For me, I cannot drink any hard liquor, too easy to get drunk & not know what I am doing. I have done things that I am not exactly proud about so I don't let myself make those decisions because I can have one or two smirnoff ice's (which is like a beer) and stop at that. So I do have that under control.
Also I find that when I do smoke, I don't drink, very rarely will I even have one drink.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best
Tell that to an impaired driver and a telephone pole.

THank you for proving my point. Let me say it again. there is not one reported case of any dying as a direct result from marijuana use!

Chances are they were a bad driver! I went through sobriety check points smoking grass. I dont know one person that has wrecked due to marijuana. And for that matter that is driving while using drugs that is two very dumb moves not just one!

2dayisanewday

You are right it wont get our of control unless you let it. But it can gradually happen without you even knowing it.Just like the little frog story I am going to tell you. If you put a frog in boiling water it will try to jump out, but if you put him in the water then turn the gas on you can slowly cook him to death!

Another words today you have a job, today you feel like going to school, today you do this and that. But tomorrow you might lose your job wont seem like a big deal cause you will think well i still go to school and I still do this. BUt then school stops then you think well I did quit this and that but still do this and that. No imagine if you smoked one joint lost your job your school your family and everything you woud probebly jump out like the frog!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
is all I need

Are you asking because you're trying to justify your use? Just wondering.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

my boyfriend does not drink or do any drugs & he does not like that I smoke, he will ask me every day if I have or not. This is something that I was honest with him about when I met him & we were getting to know one another....but it seems to bother him now moreso then before. I guess I just don't see what is really wrong with it. For me, it relaxes me and it is not something that I have to do everyday or anything, plus I don't buy it for myself, if it is there, I will probably smoke.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
is all I need

Maybe he's bringing it up because he sees something that you can't see, and it bothers him...
Old 09-06-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

CLOSURE

I am looking for open honest answers from people on this site. I know already that the majority of all people who respond are going to give me reasons NOT to use. Now if I went on some PRO mary jane website, then they would give me all of the reasons to blow off quitting. I am just looking for the truth because I don't want to cause problems in a potentially great relationship & at the same time......I honestly do not see anything bad coming from it. Make sense?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

My boyfriend lost his dad & sister to hard drugs & alcohol, so this had a big impact on him, so he is probably just scared the same thing could happen to me......because it was so traumatic for him. It is not necessarily that I am doing neg. behaviors, he just thinks it is bad.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
is all I need

Originally Posted by 2dayisanewday
I honestly do not see anything bad coming from it. Make sense?
Exactly. Maybe YOU can't see it, but HE can. I think you should sit down and have a serious talk with with about it.. See why it bothers him..
Old 09-06-2005, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=EyeOpener]
If you put a frog in boiling water it will try to jump out, but if you put him in the water then turn the gas on you can slowly cook him to death!
QUOTE]

On the lighter side, I've never known a pothead to boil frogs. Maybe it's the sedation.
On a serious note, there are many many people who have "self-medicated" for years and found that this particular illicit drug has had far fewer negative consequences than the other self-medication of choice, alcohol. Unfortunately, this pattern of self-medication puts you on a blacklist if you have a genuine anxiety disorder that responds best to benzodiazepines because the latter are subject to abuse. If you use illicit drugs to deal with anxiety, you had better quit pretty quick and understand that you will have a long wait before any health professional will even consider the most efficacious medicine for your condition. Take it from one paying his dues. If this is or becomes anything but recreation for you, then you are digging a hole for yourself.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I will share with you all that I have had a loaded gun aimed at my face twice in my life, once at the age of 5 and again at the age of 28. Both incidents were the direct result of the presence of marijuana in the home I was living in.

The first incident was a robbery. The intruders knew there was pot in the house, and they came in and got it. I was a child, so I didn't fully understand the danger I was in when I answered the door and came face-to-face with a shotgun.

I'm surprised it took so long for the guns to show up again.

The second incident was an arrest (our local sheriff's department and the SWAT team, in full riot gear). The officers knew there was pot in the house, and they came and got it, along with a member of my family. I was an adult, and I felt certain that my life was about to come to an abrupt and bloody end.

Today, there is no pot in my house. I have not had a gun pointed at me since that night in 1996, hence I have not had to feel the TERROR again that I felt that night.

Draw what conclusions you will (like maybe we should've invested in a dead-bolt...? ), but my opinion is that any drug (as opposed to a medication) is dangerous and should be avoided.

I think the more pertinent question is why a person feels the need to use a mood-and-mind altering chemical rather than simply living life on life's terms.

Oh, and here's some info regarding marijuana and suicide, y'know, 'cos no one ever died as a result of smoking pot...

Twin Study Links Marijuana Abuse, Suicide,
And Depression Research Findings
Vol. 20, No. 2 (August 2005)

By Patrick Zickler, NIDA NOTES Staff Writer

Men and women who smoked marijuana before age 17 are 3.5 times as likely to attempt suicide as those who started later. Individuals who are dependent on marijuana have a higher risk than nondependent individuals of experiencing major depressive disorder and suicidal thoughts and behaviors.

Link to full article

Hmm... some more:

The damaging effects of marijuana fall heavily on adolescents and young adults. Half of all patients admitted to treatment for marijuana abuse are younger than 21. Cognitive impairments caused by marijuana linger a month or more after an individual's last exposure, and the damage is dose dependent—the more a person smoked prior to abstinence, the more marked are the deleterious effects on visual perception, verbal and visual memory, executive function, and manual dexterity, among other mental capabilities (see "Cognitive Deficits in Marijuana Smokers Persist After Use Stops," NIDA NOTES, Vol. 18, No. 5). Loss of social and intellectual growth because of these impairments may have a lifelong impact on a person's experience and achievement. As well, compared with teens who never smoke marijuana, a boy or girl who smokes marijuana before age 17 is more than twice as likely to abuse opioids, three times as likely to abuse cocaine or other stimulants, and nearly four times as likely to abuse hallucinogens later in life (see "Twins Study Links Early Marijuana Use to Increased Risk of Abuse or Dependence," NIDA NOTES, Vol. 18, No. 4).

Link to full article

See?!? Absolutely safe!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 03:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

2dayisanewday--My name is Laura and I am an alcoholic/pothead with over 18 months clean and sober. I always knew alcohol was a problem for me, but I used to think I would NEVER stop smoking pot. I smoked every single day, but it wasn't a problem. I freaked out a bit if I didn't have any pot, but it wasn't a problem. I risked my security by sneaking it on an airplane so I would have it when I went out of town, but it wasn't a problem. I let it be more important to me than potentially wonderful relationships, but it wasn't a problem......Are you sensing a pattern here? If pot is really no big deal for you, why don't you try quitting for a couple of months? If pot is no big deal for you, why won't you just give it up for good if this guy is really worth it? Pot is a sneaky little drug. I had no idea how much it was affecting my thinking until I quit. I had no idea how much it was affecting my sleeping patterns until I quit. I had no idea how much it was RULING my life until I quit.

I agree that it is rare for a pot smoker to be losing their home, car, job, family, etc, but it can happen. It happens more often than you know. Have you done some research on the negative affects of marijuana? You might be suprised at what you find. It is WAY more addictive than researchers originally thought.

Again, if it is no big deal for you, why not give it up for a while? See where you are then......

Just my two cents.....

Hugs--
Old 09-06-2005, 04:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi all.........

Sorry,..I would have been here sooner,...but I had a pot of frogs on the stove. So where were we?....
Old 09-06-2005, 04:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just to interject real quick,.............

Potheads are known WORLDWIDE to not be able to hold jobs. Movies have been made about it. Pot smoking goes hand and hand with laziness as far as the world is concerned. Regular "wake-n-bake" pot smokers can NEVER hold a real job because they cant risk random drug tests or INTITIAL intake drug tests for pre-hire for POTENTIAL jobs. Ive even seen potheads who drink a liter of vinegar the night before a drugtest for probation to try and beat it. Now TRY and tell me thats not unmanagability in lives. Try and tell me thats not living with insanity. There is no miracle tea that can erase the remense of weed. That company that makes that crap is laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Originally Posted by lulu70
2dayisanewday--My name is Laura and I am an alcoholic/pothead with over 18 months clean and sober. I always knew alcohol was a problem for me, but I used to think I would NEVER stop smoking pot. I smoked every single day, but it wasn't a problem. I freaked out a bit if I didn't have any pot, but it wasn't a problem. I risked my security by sneaking it on an airplane so I would have it when I went out of town, but it wasn't a problem. I let it be more important to me than potentially wonderful relationships, but it wasn't a problem......Are you sensing a pattern here? If pot is really no big deal for you, why don't you try quitting for a couple of months? If pot is no big deal for you, why won't you just give it up for good if this guy is really worth it? Pot is a sneaky little drug. I had no idea how much it was affecting my thinking until I quit. I had no idea how much it was affecting my sleeping patterns until I quit. I had no idea how much it was RULING my life until I quit.

I agree that it is rare for a pot smoker to be losing their home, car, job, family, etc, but it can happen. It happens more often than you know. Have you done some research on the negative affects of marijuana? You might be suprised at what you find. It is WAY more addictive than researchers originally thought.

Again, if it is no big deal for you, why not give it up for a while? See where you are then......

Just my two cents.....

Hugs--
Well written, and I could not agree more. It took me 37 years to find out.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Originally Posted by earlybird
Just to interject real quick,.............

Potheads are known WORLDWIDE to not be able to hold jobs. Movies have been made about it. Pot smoking goes hand and hand with laziness as far as the world is concerned. Regular "wake-n-bake" pot smokers can NEVER hold a real job because they cant risk random drug tests or INTITIAL intake drug tests for pre-hire for POTENTIAL jobs. Ive even seen potheads who drink a liter of vinegar the night before a drugtest for probation to try and beat it. Now TRY and tell me thats not unmanagability in lives. Try and tell me thats not living with insanity. There is no miracle tea that can erase the remense of weed. That company that makes that crap is laughing all the way to the bank.
Ditto!