Notices

Can Anybody Help Please?

Old 09-12-2005, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can Anybody Help Please?

Hello everyone,

I myself am a recovering alcoholic, I have been dry now for 13 years, but the experiences I had when I was drinking still haunt me today.

I have a friend who's grandmother, who is 82 would you beleive, has started to drink a lot, and the classic symptoms of us alcoholics, hides booze, won't admit she is drinking too much etc

I am trying to get her into a clinic but they will only accept people who want to go in there.

My problem is how do you convince a lady of this age that she must go in there for her own good, as well as the good of her family who are very worried about her.

I am sure that you will all give me some good advice, and am really happy that I have found this site.

Regards
Agnes (Réunion Island - Indian Ocean)

Last edited by jadedgenius; 09-12-2005 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Need advice
Old 09-12-2005, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I dont really know. But I know the web is a good as start as any.

I dont really have any tips on breaking denial etc.

sorry!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you anyway

Hi there,

Thank you anyway, I know that when I stopped I did it myself, but it into my head that if I continued to drink my life was down the drain, I changed countries, and made a new start, and have never looked back. I must say that now I don't even want a drink when I see my friends drinking at parties etc, but also since I stopped drinking I don't go out half as much as I used to but am very happy that way

I love to help people who have had the same problem as me and thank you very much for bothering to reply

Bye and good luck

Agnes
Old 09-12-2005, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jack

Hi Jade...at 82 I thik that if your freind the grandmother wants to drink, maybe to excess, she's entitled. If what she's doing is harmful to other family members then thats another story, If her using only affects herself then let her be.
God bless
Old 09-12-2005, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Smile Hello and

Welcome! Way to go on your sober years!

I just had sort of the same situation...an AA member in Texas was concerned for his Mother who lives here.

He contacted an AA Group who called me for contact with her.

At 79 she was adamant about not quitting...
and angry with her son for giving out her phone number.

I spoke with her several times...offered to take her to AA...meet her for lunch to talk...gave her my number.

Nothing happened. I am sad but I did my best.

I do hope your lady is more receptive.

Blessings...
Old 09-12-2005, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello

Thank you so much for your replies

I wish you all the best for the future

Agnes
Old 09-12-2005, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heather

It's very hard to teach an old dog new tricks

I have a father that is 78 years old, I consider him to be a "dry drunk". In combination with that I have a dad who is 53 & I know he is a "dry drunk". For me, I have to accept the fact that I can only help those who are willing. It hurts, but I believe what the Big Book tells me !! Which is that - we kill ourselves with selfishness - seldomly do we read that the drugs & alcohol kill us. However, we know that to be a big part of deaths within the world today. But our self centeredness is all inclusive with that. So if we were to get "clean/sober" & only remain "clean/sober" - Chances are eventually were going to surrender to God & this simple God given program. Or else we are going to live miserable with or without the use of drugs &/or alcohol. That in essence is what makes me believe that it's "very hard to teach an old dog new tricks" !! It begins with openmindedness !! And chances are, for alot of our "elders" they have one track minds !! So, as selfish as this sounds - when it comes to something as you are encountering - if it were me, I can only go so far - until I have to withdraw myself, because for me, thats awhole lot of negative energy (being placed in the presence of someone that state of mind & body) . . And then I just start letting it rent space in my head!! The only thing that I can do in situations such as this - whether the person be young or old - is pray for them & be greatful it's not me !! Self will cannot overcome self will !! I'm grateful to have awareness of this today !!