Notices

Please help me!!!

Old 09-11-2005, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nasa calls it "The Eye Of God"

Please help me!!!

I just joined this forum. It's taking me a little time to get use to it but I think it might help. I have hit rock bottom with the drinking. I really need help. I quit smoking four years ago and that was hard but I'm thinking this will be harder. Most of my friends and family drink but they are social drinkers and my drinking has become a bad problem. Any suggestions, any support will be most welcomed. I know the first step is to stop. What is the second, third and so forth?

Thanks,
Pepper
Old 09-11-2005, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Welcome to SR and I am glad that you are here we learn in recovery that the three essentials to recovery are Honsesty, Openmindness and Willingness. They say that there are five things that we should do

1. Don't drink or use no matter what
2. Go to meetings
3. Read the liturature
4. Get and Use a Sponsor
5. Work the steps

They say that if you do those five things you won't have to drink or use again. Glad that you are here and KCB.

Love Vic
Old 09-11-2005, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Vic. I will remember your list. The only thing is I'm not a meetings kind of person. I prefer online. It just works for me. That's how I got my support for quitting smoking.

Some questions if you don't mind. Can I get the literature and a Sponsor from this site? Also is there a place where you can enter your quit date and be reminded how long it's been since you quit. I liked that on the quit smoking site.

Pepper
Old 09-11-2005, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Pepper, I hope that you can find the support that you need to stop using. It is not always an easy road, but it is a rewarding one!!

Please try to get to a meeting, if only to see that you are not the only one. You may find that you really click with it and that it will become your number one tool in recovery. It's important to find something that works for you. I also recommend hitting the library or book stores, here in canada you can get the big book if that's what you are into (AA) and there are many other books to start you on your way as well.

I know for me that group settings are not my strong point either. I did manage to find a one on one counsellor and that has helped my recovery greatly, but I do have to say that during the first few months of my sobriety, attending AA meetings was very helpful. You don't have to talk if you don't wish to, and if you are at a meeting at least it's another hour out of your day that you are not using.

I think that there is a thread about quit dates and length of sobriety called sober countdown. (it was on the new posts when I came in tonight.)

good luck to you
Old 09-11-2005, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Well I have not been going to f2f meeting now for a week and I am doing OK so far yes you can get an online sponsor you just need to find someone that you think they have what you would like as far as serenity or whatever and ask they in a PM that is a private message area that is in the right corner by your name and under your profile you can enter you sobriety date as well. Now I just started a new thread sobriety countdown if you want you can post on it and join us good luck and holler at me if you need anything OK

Love Vic
Old 09-11-2005, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

I'm not a meetings kinda person either. I go b/c they help, not b/c I like them.

Quitting smoking has proven to be far more difficult for me than getting sober was. How one drinks w/o a smoke in hand is beyond me LOL

The second, third, 1000th and last steps are all the same as the first. Dont drink. Ways you can do that are varied. AA has worked for a lot of people and there are a lot of great ppl here in the program that can fill you in on all those questions, but there are other programs... also with a lot of great ppl here who know more than I do.

Welcome!
Old 09-11-2005, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gosh I have tears because I was searching all over the web for this exact kind of site. It took me a long time and I know this is it. Thanks so much everyone. My quit date is tomorrow. I will consider all the advice given. I know this is not going to be easy. I would love to know if anyone else quit smoking and how they compare quitting drinking to that. We were told that quitting smoking was worse than quitting heroin but for some reason I THINK I'm going to have a harder problem with this.

Love,
Pepper
Old 09-11-2005, 10:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and

Welcome to SR! Congratulations on seeking sobriety!

I quit smoking but started again...and I quit drinking and started again.

For me to stay smoke free...I need to stay asleep.

For me to stay sober...I need AA.

We have a Forum....Alcoholism. The top sticky
"Quitting...what to expect" has lots of info.

Keep in touch we understand and we can help.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Pepper!! (Cool name)
This site is very helpful - however, I would still encourage you to find some local, face to face support, it can be easy not to log on here, but if you meet some people locally, you can start to build your foundation - which will come in handy during the trying times. Good luck!!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pepper,

Welcome! There is lots of support and encouragement here at SR and I'm glad you've joined us.

Love, Anna
Old 09-12-2005, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hey Pepper, I am not a meeting type of person either, I hate getting up in a crowd and speaking or anything like that BUT going to AA has helped me alot, I couldnt of gone 91 days without them. I have also found getting a sponsor helps alot too, they can see things you cant. As in the quitting smoking, Im not sure on that since I still smoke. Hang in there and remember one day at a time. If you need someone to talk to feel free to PM me anytime.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Hey Pepper hope that you are doing ok I have not seen you here at your post here lately and I am starting to worry about you.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
In Paradise!

Nobody is asking you to quit drinking forever, just for today!
and that repeats itselfs daily.

That has actually helped me to get clean. I just hate the sound of "forever" I dont even like writing it. its about 24 hours, somedays it about hours or minutes. No one here can say they will be clean forever. I do know that if I keep doin what I am doin I will keep gettin what I am getting, and that is recovery, serenity, peace of mind, real friendships, people I can trust. The list goes on...
At 8 years clean still some days are better then others. Don't give up 5 mintues before the miracle.
My worst day in recovery still doesnt come close to best day in addiction.

OK, I am off my soap box...
GB

Good luck, and God Bless.
GB