Notices

What Is The Truth? I Need Help

Old 09-11-2005, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Is The Truth? I Need Help

I've been getting a lot of advice about weining down on opiates. I counted my supply and I don't think its going to work. I just don't have enough left. So I'm wondering, can anyone tell me how long the immediate physical withdrawals last? I will start throwing up if I don't take something for about 12 hours. Does anyone else experience that? If I totally run out, I was told a long time ago that the strong effects last 72 hours and then its more about being tired and just wanting to get high but your not physically sick. Is this true? Is it mostly mental or largely physical? I hope to hear some good news!
Old 09-11-2005, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You need professional advice.

Too many varibles to have a definite answer.

Good luck...
Old 09-11-2005, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Yes please seek medical help. Detoxing is a serious thing...be sure you are not alone.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Before I go calling a doctor, I'm going to try this on my own. I think I can do it. If I can't then I will have no choice but to bring in a professional but I should try and find out what I am capable of.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Have someone with you, there to help you, make sure you stay hydrated.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for talking to me. What should I expect?
Old 09-11-2005, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jack

Hi wantingtoquit, what opiates are you taking and how much? And what for? Are they prescribed by a doctor? How much are you overdoing it? If you're taking prescribed meds but taking more daily than is prescribed you need to talk to your doc. If you are taking pills for pain and then more to 'feel good' then you may be on your way to addiction. Contrary to most lay opinions doctors are very familiar with this problem and can and should help you to determine what your needs are. If you're prscribed 6 pain pills a day and you're taking 10 then you don't have much of a problem. If however you're taking 30 a day then you definitely have a problem.
About withdrawal...if you're taking someting like Vicoden or Percodan, Lorcan etc. there is very little discomfort with stopping cold turkey. You might feel lousy for a few days but it passes quickly. If however you are on something like a duragesic patch (fentanyl) you may need a supervised detox. Not neccessarily in patient but there is the threat of seizures etc. w/out medical help. After 14 orthopedic surgeries I've learned the lingo, been addicted to prescription pills, heroin, cocaine....you name it.
Talk to your doctor, honestly. Tell him your concerns and I promise he won't think less of you or be surprised.
God bless
Old 09-11-2005, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jack, thanks for your help. I feel better already. I am snorting Oxycontin and have Lortabs but they don't do anything but keep me from feeling much detox. I'd say an average day is 3 or 4, never 30. I don't think I've ever done over 5 in a day but I know its an addiction, I can admit that. So now that I have no more Oxys and just have Lortab, I can get through a day without detoxing with 4 Lortabs and then I plan to wein down from that. Do I have a chance or should I plan to be sick? I do throw it if I have nothing for about 12 hours... I know I have to wein down but it sounds like I should be able to do it on my own. What do you think?