Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My daughter is going through meth withdrawls how do I help her?

Notices

Old 09-09-2005, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A-Z

I am a mother of a nineteen year old who is trying to detox herself from meth. How can I help her and what are some treatments that might help her get through the first few days?
Old 09-09-2005, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Hi and welcome.

I hesitate to give any kind of advice on detoxing, everyone is so different. Please see a dr if for any reason you feel the need to, medical assistance might be a good idea.

She can and will get through this, usually alot of sleep helps and nutrition. I don't know the extent of her using and that plays a huge factor.

Be careful and stay close to her. And for you....be sure to take care of yourself too. If you have not already done so please check out our Naranon board here.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A-Z

Hi Paulie,

Just read your response. She is sleeping alot and hurting alot. I'm not sure how much she used, but guessing from her withdrawl simptons I'd guess alot. She is just waking up now and it is almost 11:00 a.m. I stayed home from work today to be with her. Thanks for the suggestion to go to the Naranon board. I'' head there now.
Muskrat was a nickname from highschool. It was from a song called "Muskrat Love" I go by the name Annie.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

(((Annie))) I remember that song .

Give her a good meal, she may not each much of it yet, I dont know, but nutrition, good fluids and sleep. If she is hurting to much like I said, call the dr, get some medical advice.

I have been there, I detoxed 10 years ago, it was not fun, I am glad you are staying with her today. Encourage her to rest more.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

A detox bath might help...1 cup baking soda, 1cup epsome salts, 1 cup raw oatmeal tied in a a cloth....the salts pull out toxins, the soda helps unclog ores and the oatmeal you want to get wet and sponge the body it is soothingto the skin. The bath water needs to be as hot as can be reasonably stood by the person. Water must be drank( I use a plastic bottle with a lid) while in the tub because the drawing action of the salts does draw out fluid. Soak for 15-20 minutes

Another bath additive that can be bought at the drug store is a product called "BATHERAPY" made by QUEEN HELENE it is very good for aching muscles and is very relaxing to use...
Old 09-09-2005, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Annie, you might want to check out the substance abuse forum along with the naranon forum. This may be of reat hekp to you.
I wanted to welcome you to SR and say we are happy you have found us. Your daughter will have a struggle ahead of her, after the detox, it's difficult to stay clean. There are different groups, and other types of treatments you may want her to attend.. Just a thought. It's tough.
If you notice her having any problems, please don't hesitate to get her to a doctor, or the ER..Like Paulie said.. Sometimes detoxes can be dangerous. I don't know alot abot Meth withdrawal.
Good luck, I hope you stick arund and check out those other forums, there's a whole lot of wonderful people here,. that give excellent support,.
Love, Becky