Notices

percentages whom make it???

Old 09-03-2005, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

percentages whom make it???

Hi curious of percentage of problem drinkers/pot smokers that try to quit, what percentage are successful with no relapses vs not. How tough is it for someone that really wants to quit?

How long does one have to hang it up for to be "clean?"

does one need to cut it out completely to heal or can they just cut back?
Old 09-03-2005, 01:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Issheintrouble?
Hi curious of percentage of problem drinkers/pot smokers that try to quit, what percentage are successful with no relapses vs not. How tough is it for someone that really wants to quit?
numbers can tell a wrong story. You can get as many sets of numbers as there are people taking polls.

How long does one have to hang it up for to be "clean?"
What do you mean by clean? Each drug has a different time it takes to empty the body. If you are saying clean, as in feeling you are in a safe zone, the answer would be... We each live to stay sober and clean for today. That is all any of us have...the most important day...today I am sober. It does get easier with time. For each that time may be different. Still, even after many years, it would be good for me to not pick up the first one.
does one need to cut it out completely to heal or can they just cut back?
An alcoholic or addict would need stop completely. It is the nature of the disease. Being progressive, one today is ok, next week it will need be two. Can a person slow down? Some say yes. the safe way is to stop completely
Old 09-04-2005, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Post Hi and

as you might assume...

The predominant success factor for any recovery program is (a) an honest admission that a problem exists and (2) a willingness/desire to recover.

What you're looking for re: recovery rates isn't a perfect science, however. For example, how can we study those people who voluntarily recover? We never even know about them and they are rarely statistically tracked.

However, even in folks who are violent substance abusers and who are involuntarily treated, recovery is quite high.

http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.co...lts,1:102425,1

"Follow-up ranged from 3 to 24 months (17.8-4.9). We studied the probability of maintenance of complete abstinence and social adaptation (professional-educational, family and legal parameters) using T and Fisher tests significance level ph0.05). Of the twenty, thirteen patients (65%) achieved excellent social reintegration, and twelve maintained total abstinence. Two patients died (AIDS, hepatic cirrhosis). The chances of complete abstinence and social reintegration were increased by lower age at admission (p=0.02), some form of treatment following hospitalization (p=0.007), adherence to the entire period of treatment (p=0.05), and regular attendance at self-help groups (p=0.05). No significant differences were found in terms of other demographic parameters, drugs used (number or class), previous hospital admissions, length of hospitalization, or follow-up. Sixty percent of patients can expect an excellent outcome over a period of 18 months, according to strict clinical and social criteria. Early intervention and factors increasing adherence to prolonged treatment increase abstinence and social reintegration and thus should be further explored. (Am J Addict 2003;12:84-89) "

This study or the one below states that females and married recoverers also have higher recovery rates. It makes sense to me that those married (with loving support) do better, but not sure why sex would play a role.

The study linked below confirms substantial recovery success rates (and these were for people who never received any kind of formal treatment, but who were dependent on alcohol in the prior to past year).

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/lin...s/?cookieSet=1.

"Of people classified with PPY ((prior-to-past-year (PPY) alcohol dependence, 25.0% were still classified as dependent in the past year; 27.3% were classified as being in partial remission; 11.8% were asymptomatic risk drinkers who demonstrated a pattern of drinking that put them at risk of relapse; 17.7% were low-risk drinkers; and 18.2% were abstainers. Only 25.5% of people with PPY dependence ever received treatment. Being married was associated positively with the odds of both AR and NR, and ethanol intake was negatively associated with both. Severity of dependence increased the odds of AR but decreased the odds of NR. The odds of AR (but not NR) increased with age and female gender but were decreased by the presence of a personality disorder. Treatment history modified the effects of college attendance/graduation, age at onset and interval since onset on the odds of recovery.

"Conclusions: There is a substantial level of recovery from alcohol
dependence. Information on factors associated with recovery may be
useful in targeting appropriate treatment modalities."

Here's few other studies that are closely related:
http://www.alcoholism-cer.com/pt/re/...856145!9001!-1
(success rates are higher in higher income earners)

http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.co...lts,1:102425,1

As an earlier poster said, there are as many studies out there as there are opinions but the majority I have found seemed relatively hopeful/promising that there will be success when there is a willing participant seeking treatment.

Keep posting and searching for answers. God Bless.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Everyone before me has said it better, all I wish to add is that their is a difference between trying to quit and deciding to quit.
I would guess that makes a substantial difference in the outcome.
jmo

live
Old 09-04-2005, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

in the rehab that i attended, the counsellors said that out of the thirteen woman the house holds in treatment only two will get sober. i thought that was chilling. i remember thinking that it was a depressing little fact to be sharing.

looking back now, i think that number is probably very true. the time that i have been sober has been some of the hardest time i've lived in my life. but at the end of the day it has also been the most rewarding, exciting and downright excellent!!

for me cutting back was not an option.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Relapse

good site: http://www.alcohol-drug-treatment.net

"Relapse - Is it possible to stay clean?

It is possible to stay clean and no in fact Relapse IS NOT part of recovery. If a person relapses after treatment it is a sign that the treatment was ineffective.

A person is never ready to become an addict so do not believe the statement “well he wasn’t ready to quit” as a viable justification for relapse. The program failed to fulfill the needs of the addict so they could stay clean.

Relapse is not just hard on the family, it is also hard on the addict. An addict already feels like a failure simply because of the addiction. When the addict gets clean they have pure intention to stay clean, make themselves and their loved ones proud and to start living a productive life. Relapse is devastating for all involved.

If you find out that your loved one has relapsed please do not condemn them or make them feel worse then they already do. This is the time when he/she will need the love and support of the family. It is important that the addict get right back into a support group or into another treatment program; one that will more thoroughly address the issues not just with but behind the addiction.

The main point is to never give up on the one you love and have hope because people can recover from drug and alcohol addiction."
Old 09-04-2005, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...

the percent that want to totally work for sobriety and who make it? 100.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

love that Carol!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

Something is very fishy here.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Doug

Hi HereforHelp,
I'd like to suggest you start a thread and introduce yourself, and tell us what help you are here for.

Same for you HighonLife.

And welcome to SR...