Notices

my sister is in my shoes

Old 08-25-2005, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more hostages

Exclamation my sister is in my shoes

hey all! i have one year of sobriety from opiates but in the past few days i have reunited with my little sister (19 years old) who is addicted to meth and xanax...she is wanting to get sober...but the detox is really hard (for both of us...). i dont know what to expect with this withdrawal....she has the shakes really badly, and now her stomach is killing her...grrrrrrrrr! i feel helpless...i know i cant 'fix' her and she should do this as much on her own as possible but i need to know if there is anything that can help this physical discomfort...... if anyone has any ideas please let me know. thanks
amy m.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Is it possible that she needs medical help? Most cities have a 3-5 day detox center maybe she needs to go to too one.....
Old 08-25-2005, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No more hostages

i wish she would but she isn't quite willing- she wants to be around us (her only family) and try it this way. it is day 4 or 5 and i think the worst is almost over...but you know they say "darkest hour before dawn..." i just dont know how to react with it being so close to my heart ya know? i have read about crystal detox but most sites say there is no physical withdrawal...and i beg to differ - i am seeing it myself...

so.... if we can avoid the detox center we will, but if it continues to progress then that will be our option...
thanks for the reply...
oh...and if anyone here has been thru this same thing please please talk to me.
amy m.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi Amy, glad to have you here.
I am have been clean of opiates since April 6, this year.
I really don't know much about crystal withdrawal, but I bet most of her withdrawals are from the xanax. That is a terrible thing to detox from, and it's also very dangerous, much more dangerous than any pain killer withdrawal, and I'm sure far more dangerous than the crystal withdrawal also.
She really should NOT detox off xanax cold turkey, she should also see a doctor, he can give her a schedule for tapering.
Xanax is a benzo, and benzo's have a very high rate of terrible seizures. So she really should NOT do this alone, really it's not like cold turkey off pain killers.
Her anxiety is probably very high, and her heart rate, and blood pressure may also be very high to, if she was taking much xanax. Alot does depend I believe on how much she was taking, how regular she was taking it, and for how long she was taking it.. Like was she taking it for years?
Please try to talk her into seeing a doctor, so she is safe..
Please let us know how she is doing..
Love, Becky
She should not so this alone, and she should not be left alone.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No more hostages

hey angel...

she has been taking the xanax as a last resort when the crystal wasnt available...
she HAS however been 'prescribed' xanax for years...since she was like 12 or 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i have actually gotten a few bars from a friend to taper her from them...i know, i know; not the best thing for a sober girl to do, BUT the rules seem to change when it is my own flesh and blood. she absolutely REFUSES to see a doc.
please keep the posts coming...if need be i will call 911 but last night she actually slept all night so i feel as if there is an end.
love
amy m
Old 08-26-2005, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

hi there
everywhere i googled xanax detox, the results were the same. Saying it's not safe to do so alone. Get your sister medical help.
hugs, Wendy