Notices

hopelessinlove

Old 07-22-2005, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hopelessinlove

I'm in a new relationship with a man I've waited for over 19yrs. I loved this man all these years. The relationship overall is great except he's a crack user. I have never gotten into drugs or drinking, so I don't understand how to deal with this. I don't want to lose him. He's such a great man, loving, gentle,caring,supporting, but the crack has to stop. can some help me to help him get help?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome!

He won't be ready to get help until he's read to do it for himself. No matter how much he loves you and you love him, the disease has priority. You could benefit from visiting our Naranon forum and learn how to take care of you. I know you expected more and a better answer but unfortunatly it's the truth. I hope you stick around and find your own support here. *hugs*
Old 07-22-2005, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gosh, was he a first love? I met my first love some years later and what a powerful damn hook that is. I was straight back to the hopelessly besotted teenager. This time around i married him. The whole thing nearly destroyed me. Things worked out alright in the end but i am not sure if that was cos it was meant to be or just damned lucky. Suggest you get yourself to the Nar-Anon forum....whatever else you need to be looking after yourself. It is real easy to get lost in someone elses addiction.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He's such a great man, loving, gentle, caring, supporting, but the crack has to stop.
Hi Hopelessinlove,
He sounds like a nice person overall. I agree with the others. You'll find help with and support for your feelings at the NarAnon board.
Val
Old 07-27-2005, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry I have not anwsered sooner. Was in the hosp. Had chest pains. Yes He is a love from before. I married another man 2yrs after we had broke up. But never stopped loving him. He said yesterday He was done with the drugs. I scared the heck out of him. I hope it's true, but I know it's not that easy.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopelessinlove
The relationship overall is great except he's a crack user.

Thats a huge "except"

in a whole nother realm than "except she snores"

or "except he leaves his toothbrush lynig around the house"

I've never met a crack cocaine "user"

met tons of addicts who wound up giving nearly everything in life up, including most of their soul, to get one more crumb from a rock to stick in the pipe.

Ever seen a crack head in withdrawl crawling around the carpet to find a speck of dope?

Ever seen a person you love on a stretcher clutching their chest going into cardio arrest?

Ever seen them beg in the streets wearing the same sweater, they left rehab wearing 4 months ago, for a few dollars "to get a pack of smokes?

Ever get a phone call from a friend worried sick because they loaned them their car with their cell phone and family pet to run a quick errand........yesterday?

These are some of the examples of what your in for with a crack "user" ....

On the bright side of the 4 examples I've listed, 1 of my friends is clean today and finding their peace.

As far as I know another is still alive and may be working a recovery program.

And God rest his soul my friend in the sweater has finally got to meet his maker and knows the forgiveness he couldn't seem to give himself.

I can't tell you what the answer will be for you, only that if you find an awareness and support network from others who love addicts, you'll have a source of compassion, strength, and courage to turn to when the addict in your life can't express love and concern for anything beyond the drug.
Please start taking a look at the Nar Anon boards, better still find a meeting.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Gooch, you have rendered me nearly speechless (which is no small accomplishment...).

Thank you for sharing what you shared!
Old 07-30-2005, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh my. I have never seen myself in active crack addiction so clearly before. Weird how it often takes someone else's eyes to view ourselves clearly. Thank-you Gooch.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Brad's#1Fan

Hey My name is Blair and I have a brother who's a cocaine addict. He didn't realize how bad it was until one night he relasped and didn't want to live. At that moment was when he realized he needed help himself. And of all those years we as the family trying to push him into help was only making matters worst. As of right now, Brad is in 3rivers and is getting help. I go to the family meetings there which help a lot because they teach you to let go of your love one's problem and focus on your self. I know it's hard but the addict will know in time when he's ready to get help. If you ever want to talk about your situation, email at [email protected].