Notices

AntiDepressants

Old 08-15-2005, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AntiDepressants

Is anyone on antidepressants? Before I stopped drinking I took Xanax and Prozac. Those didn't help, so I went on Effexor. I haven't taken it consistently to know if it will help or not.

Have any of you had any experiences with antidepressants?
Old 08-15-2005, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

I tried Effexor and it was to stimulating for me, caused panic attacks since I have an anxiety disorder. I take 20 mg of Lexapro now and so far it's been fine. Makes you tired in the beginning but that will wear off after I get adjusted to it. I am very anti wellbutrin since it put me in the hospital. Just my opinion.

hugs....kathy
Old 08-15-2005, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lots of us. Antidepressants have to be taken consistently. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to know the effect. Studies show that most people are switched antidepressants 5 to 6 times before the right combo is found. Have patience, take them consistently. Problems? Call the doc.
I feel like I have been a psychotropic guinea pig. But finally, hallelujah, I am on the right cocktail and have never been so well.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

I feel like a guinea pig too. Glad you feel good live!
Old 08-15-2005, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take two antidepressants: 20 mg of Lexapro and 100 mg of trazadone which is for sleep and an antidepressant. The Lexapro was good, but adding the trazadone made the difference between functioning and happy.
Xanax for anxiety.
By now, I have a whole list of "I won't touch this!" psychotropics, but everyone is individual and what works for one is disaster for another.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

As Liveweyered said, many of us take antidepresants, it should be noted that many, if not most, of them dont' work very well while you are drinking. So if you have stopped and are still having issues with depression you may want to talk to your doctor again about it. Good luck, take care.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What do antidepressants/antianxiety meds do........dope you up?? My psych put me on Lexapro and I am on week 3.5 and it is royally sucking!!! I can't wake up! I sleep all night and am still tired in the AM...I fall asleep at noon or five and can sleep for hours and feel like I need to go to bed for the night! What is up? This is absolutely horrid, I can't even get through my days. I had nausea initially, but that went away week 2 or so but I am just getting more and more tired!! I want off. Can I stop taking it or taper off? I don't see my psych until next week but I can't afford to drag ass all this week........again!!

Sorry, just very angry and very dissapointed...
Old 08-16-2005, 05:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on Lexapro 20 mg. It took about 6 weeks to really kick in..(By the way they started me on 10mg andI took that for 3 months then went to 20)....Anyways when it kicked in it made a world of difference for me...I am doing great.
I was on Effexor and it worked good for my depression but I had an allergic reaction to it and had to be taken off and I stay away from that family of antideppresants (by the way none of the meds are going to work if you don't take them like you are told to everyday)
Prozac made me feel like I was in a daze all the time
Hope this helps