Notices

Using Dreams

Old 08-10-2005, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Using Dreams

I had a dream last night that I was drinking. In the dream I had hid some beer and drank 2 of them (I don't even like beer). My mom found them and the shame was so horrible. I know these dreams are common in early recovery, but I woke up feeling awful. I have been feeling very strong and not having many urges to drink but I am petrified that I will relapse. The feelings of remorse are still strong. I guess I had relapsed so many times in the last 4 months, deep down I'm still scared.

How long do people have these using dreams after they quit using?

By the way, I have 21 days today!
Kathy
Old 08-10-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

way to go on 21 days!! thats awesome!
when i have using dreams i thank God for them, for the reminder of where i can go if i don't keep that fear!
that fear of relapse is a healthy fear, the minute i don't fear relapse that's when i'm in trouble.
A friend of mine actually likes his using dreams, go figure, he says he can drink and drug in them all he wants. But just in his dreams.
Those dreams will get fewer and further between don't worry. After 14 months i rarely have them anymore. I know they are scary though aren't they?
ya
hugs, Wendy
Old 08-10-2005, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi kathy,
way to go on 21 days!

want needa basically hit the nail with her reply, i remember my drunk dreams, and like want's friend i used to enjoy mine too, i called them freebies. sometimes they were so real i would wake up with a temp buzz or even feel hung over.

i enjoyed them till i started having bad endings to them, then i hated them.

they eventually lessened, i think with me it was my subconscience reliving my drinking history, when i got real serious about my sobriety is when they started getting bad.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Hey there...
Yep, it's common and I take them as a blessing too as these two have said. The last one I had that made me really grateful took place in a bar where I was going shot for shot with this complete stranger. I got so drunk that I went home with him. Right before I woke up in a near panic, I felt really nasty like I had just drank a ton and before the fog cleared I swore I was in a bedroom different than my own.
Very scary but very helpful too.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

oops
Old 08-10-2005, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Wendy, **** and Squirrelly!! I guess it is a good reminder of what I want to avoid. Next time I'll try to enjoy the "freebee"!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Way to go on 3 weeks

nogard
Old 08-10-2005, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

talk about shame and guilt.

its really bad when you are having a useing dream and there are people from AA in it with you.

i havent had one in a few months but i had this one where i was stoned (i dont smoke pot) and then i was like, "oh god im stoned and about to go to a meeting, there gonna know im stoned" the guilt and shame i had was terrible, but like someone said, good reminders of where it will take me if i start back drinking or doing the drugs i use to do.

peace.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 21 days!!!