Notices

On-Line Meetings? Tradition One Unity?

Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

On-Line Meetings? Tradition One Unity?

I really am a bit confused, I have visited other sites, but I perfer this one. I just don't understand why the on-line meetings here don't really have an attendance by the members here. I know that I have spent time there alone, and I know others have also, but it is really hard to continue doing it when no one wants to help support it. I know that we all have a life, but without AA and NA we would not have a life at all. I have been taught that the meeting are for the new people granted, but are not the old timers suppose to teach the new comers and if so how are they going to be taught if no one shows up.

When I am on line here at SR, I try to always remember to log into the chatroom, meeting room just incase someone needs to talk. I could not begin to tell you how many of you I have meet there, which is totally awesome. I know that this is not all about me, but sometimes I feel that I need some guiding also,(more than not) and it really would be nice for people to attend the meetings here. Isn't that is what this is all about, I know that we have great,(and I mean great) support on the post and threads, but what about the meetings on-line.

Our first tradition in all 12 step programs is "Our common welfare SHOULD come first, PERSONAL recovery depends upon AA/NA unity" Well maybe I just need to stick around but how can I be united if I am the only one there? I am not trying to ruffle any feathers or step on any toes, I guess I just don't understand.

Love Vic

Last edited by Luckyv2; 08-02-2005 at 08:19 PM. Reason: miss spelled unity
Old 08-02-2005, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hi Vic...

I have been using on line recovery sites for 10 years.

Most AA meetings I know of are small in comparison to the discussion board activity.

This AA elder can no longer use Chat.
My speak it program is not compatible.

I do sometime use PalTalk meanings which are vocal.

If SR becomes real time vocal...count me in!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Wow I did not know that they had a program where you can talk how do you find those, but I still don't understand why the meeting here are not supported, I have gone to other sites and they have 30-40 people there all the time, I don't like that many people but it would be nice to maybe have a few people there. Thank you for replying

Love Vic
Old 08-03-2005, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

As hard as we try to promote them as hard as Kel works to keep the info updated, I don't understand it either and understand your concern. It was my baby over a year ago and I thought it would really be something people would enjoy and participate in. Any and all ideas are welcome, when this subscription expires for the chat program we'll either not renew and let chat go or if there is a demand maybe find a jazzier program to use.... I dunno either Vic, it surely hasn't been for lack of trying though!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

i would love to see more people getting involved with the online meetings. not sure what advice to offer... how about a post asking people to make suggestions on what keeps them out or in the online meetings. see is we are doing something wrong. ????
Old 08-03-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Personally, I've noticed a decline in attendance on Sunday night since summer weather began...I'm thinking vacationing is playing a part. Granted, I've never had humongous turn-out, but I have had considerable more. I know of at least one fairly regular attendee who is definitely on vacation...and have had a couple others mention vacation or computer problems when they do finally come into a meeting after an extended 'absence.' I also think part of my problem is that I've been slack on Sunday morning with posting my meeting (KelKel, thanks again for covering my butt there a couple of times!)
Old 08-03-2005, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

I just wanted to share my opinion on this. I think that what I saw on other boards that differs from here is that there are a lot of different meeting times, meetings, etc each day to pick and choose from. I know that with myself, most of the meetings here that I would attend are pretty late in the evening, and I can't make them. But, I know that the problem with that is finding enough people to chair the meetings to have an assortment of them. Maybe when this site grows in membership, that could change. Oh, and also...Chy...I don't think that you neccesarily need a "jazzier" chat, but maybe if you could somehow post a meeting schedule on one of the first pages you hit when you come to either SR or when you click on the Community tab, if that's possible. I know that I've seen a meeting schedule posted on sites when you first hit them...and that drew my attention to the fact right away.

Danielle
Old 08-03-2005, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

That's a great idea Danielle and when we put in our portal page I'll make a note to add that as a feature. Good idea and to all, we welcome any suggestions, but as mentioned it's hard to have diversity of meetings when we don't have the man power despite 16000+ members to chair them.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Each one Reach one....Well...
actually each one reach many!

We boosted Chat meetings on another site that way.

The core members used PM to invite others.

Sslloowwllyy it grew!
Old 08-03-2005, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Sure seems like we have a hot topic here about the meetings but who is will to attend them NOW. I know that we can do things to change and make it better in the future but who is willing to commit some of there time for the new bees now. I don't have a lot of time to stay here and talk about this cause I am really busy but I will be there tonight I think at the meeting if there is one.

Love Vic