Notices

New

Old 07-29-2005, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow New

Hello everyone, I quit smoking pot 7-8 months ago, but I have suffered from anxiety ever since I quit. Is this from the pot or something else? Dont really feel depressed, but sometimes I have. Just trying to battle this anxiety one day at a time, if you guys could give me some insight about what I should do please let me know and I was wondering if anyone else got anxiety after quiting?

Thanks, Rob
Old 07-29-2005, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

Hi Robert, welcome to SR. I'm not able to answer your question adequately about pot/anxiety and their relation to one another, but there are many wise people who will be along shortly that can offer their insights. Have you scrolled down to the Naranon board or general recovery boards?

Wishing you the best
Love Pearl (alcoholic in early recovery)
Old 07-29-2005, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Ditto what pearl said and welcome to SR Robert.

nogard
Old 07-29-2005, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No I haven't, I am checking out the other boards right now. I am glad to be here.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hey Robert--My name is Laura and I am a recovering alkie/pothead with a precious 17 months clean and sober. I was a pretty heavy pot smoker and didn't really intend to quit when I knew I needed to stop drinking but then I realized I needed to give it all up. In some ways, quitting the pot was harder than quitting drinking, probably because it seemed to have not caused as many problems in my life. I definitely felt a lot of anxiety in the first six months or so, but nothing paralyzing. And it is hard to say if it was the pot or the booze that caused it. Are you attending any support group meetings? That might help. You also might want to talk to a doctor. You could have some sort of anxiety disorder. One thing........don't forget to breathe. I used to do a lot of bong hits, so sometimes I would sit and take a fast deep breath, hold it for a little while, and then let it out slowly. It actually really helped. It is a technique which also works when I want a cigarette and can't smoke one. I take a deep breath and blow it out slowly. I am babling now.

Hang in there. Going back to pot won't help, I am sure.

Hugs--
Old 07-29-2005, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ben's Papa

Hi Robert,
After thirty years of getting high every day I am now nearing my 11th month of not smoking.Most of my withdrawal symptoms faded away after 1 or 2 months.I have always had a problem with anxiety but I found that when I got high it only increased the feeling.I still get anxious but at least now I can deal with it with a clear head.Good luck and congratulations for 8 months straight.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys, im kinda in an online support group for anxiety...its www.nomorepanic.co.uk, and if you guys need help go there because the people there really help