Notices

What do YOU do about insomnia???

Old 07-26-2005, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

What do YOU do about insomnia???

I've talked to several folks over the last few weeks about not being able to sleep...I know I, like others, have started drinking a "nightcap" to make me drowsy enough to get sleepy, and I, like others, have let that habit develope into an addiction (that was always present but lurking).

What do YOU do to get a quality nights sleep and tame the restless emotional/intellectual beast within you when it's time to close your eyes and get a good nights rest???
Old 07-26-2005, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

(((((pearl))))),
Have you tried chamomile tea with lots of warm milk? That's what I did in treatment and it seemed to help. Trazodone is also useful but you have to get that prescribed by a doctor. Hope this helps!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-26-2005, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All in God's Hands

I read a good book. Sometimes it causes insomnia because I have to know the ending that night. Play classical music. It is very relaxing. In fact my 4 month old will not go to sleep with out it on the radio.Also try taking a walk like 2-3 hours BEFORE you want to go to sleep. These are the natural ways that I have found that work.
Heather
Old 07-26-2005, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pearl,

I have yet to find a way to fall asleep and stay asleep that works for me. Insomnia contributed to my drinking too, which started with a drink at night to help me sleep or during the night if I woke up. What a mistake! I've tried everything - exercise, following the same routine, quiet time before bed, eating something at bedtime, melatonin, herbs - all of them work sometimes, but lots of times nothing works for me. If you find the answer, let me know!

Love, Anna
Old 07-26-2005, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Eddie, is Trazadone an anti-depressant? Ithought it was a sleeping pill? So it is not addictive then?? Thanks, Becky
Old 07-26-2005, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Since I have trouble sleeping I was told not to exercise right before going to bed it makes you wide awake.. Just alittle input
Old 07-26-2005, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

I usually take 2 Tylenol PMs...the benadryl component makes me a little drowsy and the tylenol helps my sore hips (lol...I feel like a pedigreed dog, sore hips and all) I also drink warm milk (I think warming it helps release the tryptophan) I used to fight that drowsy feeling, but now I just snuggle down and make the most of it.

And I absolutely DON'T read or watch the news before bedtime...there's too many traumatic articles
Old 07-26-2005, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I found this really cool sight...when you get to the site just double click like where it says sleep with your head to th north...it goes into further explanation...maybe something on here can help us !!

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/
Old 07-26-2005, 08:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

pearl,
Just don't take the TylenolPM for more than a few days at a time because it loses its effectiveness, OK?

Becky,
Trazodone is an antidepressant that is more often used for sleep than for depression these days. And it is not addictive.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-26-2005, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

Eddie, does the body develope a degree of tolerance to the diphenhydramine over time?

Have you heard any positive feedback on melatonin?

Thanks
Love Pearl
Old 07-26-2005, 08:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Midas

I discovered a good rexall; Melatonin 3mg, Kava Kava herb, Passion Flower herb, and Hops (strictly capsule form LoL). *grumble* [damnit] My rehab counselor would be screaming at the top of her lungs right about now YOU"RE SELF MEDICATING!!! Bah. And sometimes I need to take a benadryl on top of the herbs.

*Note to Self: No herbal remedy for three weeks & haven't slept worth a damn*

Thanks Self, I'll make a note of that.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Midas

As with any drug, prolonged use can result in physiological tolerance. Yes.

Regarding Melatonin: I was hesitant at first to try it. DO NOT take it with a full capsule of Valerian. You'll sleep for days.

However, some herbal preparations do contain a portion of Camomile and Valerian in small amounts.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

:Lmao @ Midas hey did you guys see my post about the site ?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Midas

Oh you mean this? http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

Old 07-26-2005, 09:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yep...hey did you read the one about sleeping to the North?? I thought that was odd
Old 07-26-2005, 09:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by pearl
Eddie, does the body develope a degree of tolerance to the diphenhydramine over time?

Have you heard any positive feedback on melatonin?
Yes, one quickly becomes tolerant to the sedating effects of diphenhydramine.

My opinion is that, as addicts/alcoholics, we are particularly susceptible to abusing anything taken for sleep and I would personally avoid Kava kava, Valerian, and actually diphenhydramine, too. Chamomile and melatonin are the only over-the-counter remedies I might be inclined to use. Hops have a soporific fragrance but I don't know about taking them internally.

I once started a poll here on the use of melatonin but I couldn't find it just now. The feedback was positive, though.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-26-2005, 10:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Pearl!

I just went to my medicine cabinet to see what I've been taking for about a year thinking it was something different I could wow you with.........turns out its trazodone :-). I've been sober about 11 months and am taking the same dosage now that I started with. From that I conclude that its not addictive, but what do I know :-P.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Midas

Sleeping with your head pointed to magnetic North...must be a Phang Schwa (Feng Sui) thing. I'm not moving furniture to be a Zen snooze master. LOL.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

Thanks all and there you have it!!!!

I was sleeping with my head pointed to the southeast
Old 07-26-2005, 10:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
fire dancer

melatonin is effective if you take it just before you lay down & then REALY lay down...mostly any way...head in the north is about self.....so it could help...south is fire....east is air .....west is wind....north is earth(grounding)... north could help if you don't pace too much in your head (wich i guess we all do or we wouldn't be here...just a guess no offense ment)...but i have found it does help to ground me out & i have interesting dreams.

on exercise ...seems to help if i do it before 5 pm or so. lots of physical work does help, but late at nite it just jazzes me up.
also an herb called skullcap used to kick my butt...took it during the day & stopped because it hindered me too much...for anxiety...but i think if taken in evening would maybe help...esp. when i did skullcap & vallerian(read ...how did we find valium)
PS herbs are the root for all the pharmesydicals.....but they are not drugs in the same respect.