Notices

First Day

Old 07-26-2005, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile First Day

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a 31 year old alcoholic. I am married with a baby on the way (first) and I am ready to take steps to recovery. My wife found this group for me and asked me to look through it. I am glad she did, as an amazing feeling came over me. After reading many of the posts I realized many people are feeling the same way I feel. You all know how alone and isolated alcohol can make a person. I am in the first stages of quitting drinking. Last night when I wanted to go take a drink...I came here and read for a while instead and was able to fight the urge. I have many questions for those of you in recovery -- but for now I just want to say hello.

Sincerly,

Beacon
Old 07-26-2005, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

hello and welcome. That is one way I fight urges too. If my hands are on the keyboard and my butt in the seat, I cant' go and get anything to drink!! For some other "tools" and suggestions checkout http://smartrecovery.org and http://unhooked.com they have lots of practical ideas of ways to deal with urges and to do some introspection, so you can get to the root of why you drink in the first place. Good luck, take care.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello!

Comgratulations on seeking a sober life!

Pop over to the forum Alcoholism. Lots of info in the top stickys.

Great to see a new member...
Old 07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome to Sober Recovery, Beacon! Glad you're here.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Baby Steps

Hello Beacon,
You made the first step - you came here. What keeps me going??? One day at a time - one step at a time. Remember "yesterday was.....today is...."
Old 07-26-2005, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome to SR!! I am new here too and today is day 22 sober for me. I have found this forum extremely helpful and the people here are great! Congrats on making the decision to stop drinking, I know it was the best thing I could have ever done. The beginning was tough for me and I still have some rough times throughout the day with anxiety and stuff, but I will definately say the life is so much better without drinking!! Good luck with your recovery!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hello Beacon--Glad your wife found us for you. I know what you mean by that feeling of relief and belonging we feel when we first discover a great big group of people who know just what we are going through. I get that same feeling from my AA groups. There I can actually get real, live hugs, too!

Nice to meet you, and keep coming back!

Hugs--
Old 07-26-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Beacon! Hope you stick around - a lot of nice people here. I would really encourage you to get some sort of local support too (AA, or another group) as this is tough to do - especially alone! Good luck!
JMHS
Old 07-26-2005, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Beacon welcome to SR, glad you found us.

nogard