Notices

Wanting to try (again)

Old 07-21-2005, 09:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting to try (again)

I just want to say to everyone who is in recovering im proud of you. I know how hard it is. I wish I was as strong, I AM powerless over alcohol. I just would like to know what you did to get things started? Im not 100% sure if AA would work for me because im shy (when sober) but I do warm up kinda fast. Just hate speaking infront of a bunch of people. Its getting so bad now that its starting to affect my job, but the few times recently I did not drink a night, I could not sleep so I was no good anyways the next day. I literally felt like I got 30 mins sleep at best. I know I need to do this, for me, and to better myself in any future relatshionships because I lost a few due to this damn disease. They never knew, because Im quite good at hiding it. Just want to know where to start, although reading all the posts here, this board seems like a good place.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome Aboard, orye75!

Making a decision to change is already a step in the right direction. Getting past the first couple days can be rough if you're a heavy drinker like I was. [at least a 6 pack daily]. I couldn't sleep for the first few nights at all. The nervousness about speaking in front of large groups may pass once you get familiar with the members. Tackle something small like one of the readings for example; "How it Works", or "More About Alcoholism". You'll hear quite a few other members stumble over common words fairly often. It's kinda funny. When you're sitting in a group that's sharing stories, most of them will understand if you just say, "I'm here to listen. Thanks, and I'll pass."

Glad You're Here!!

Old 07-21-2005, 11:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by orye75
I wish I was as strong, I AM powerless over alcohol. I just would like to know what you did to get things started? .

You just started at the right place. Knowing you are powerless over the alcohol is where to start. Next is finding the tools to deal with that powerlessness. AA is a good place to find the needed tools. As far as talking in front of people, you won't need do that unless you want to do it.
Only requirement is a desire to stop drinking.

SR is a great support but the in person support you can get through AA or other groups has benifits as well. Nothing like getting things from the source.
You can do it and your not alone. There are many waiting and willing to help as they are able.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by orye75
I just want to say to everyone who is in recovering im proud of you. I know how hard it is. I wish I was as strong,
Hey Orye75,
For me it is not about being strong....it is about acceptance. My best strength simply doesnt cut it against alcoholism or addiction. Sounds like you are well on the way to acceptance with the acknowledgement of powerlessness.

There are many paths into recovery. AA is out there everywhere and readily available. When i first went into a room of recovery people i shook so bad. I couldnt talk to anyone for months. But being around so many loving people was a quick way to help me through that crisis. But there are other options such as smart recovery and liferings. Personally i like to check out all my options.

I would also suggest that ypu consult your doctor about de-toxing from alcohol.

Warmest wishes
Evanna.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hello Orye75--As others have already said, you don't have to speak at an AA meeting unless you want to. I go to a lot of meetings, and don't always speak. Why not give it a try? What do you have to lose?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Orye,
At my first meeting, I hid in the back...which didn't work...cause everyone was so friendly. Just be relaxed when you go and keep an open mind. Everyone in AA has that common goal. They'll help you. Best of luck.
Val
Old 07-22-2005, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Hi Again...

I suggest you have an honest talk with your doctor about your drinking patterns. There are short term meds to help you in early sobriety.

Think about taking time off from work to start sobriety.

There are many AA meetings in your area. Call
202..966..9115 to find them.

Keep in touch...we care.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome!
You start by taking it one minute, one hour, one day at a time. We can easily get overloaded on the simple idea of just doing this. Keep your life simple, remain honest, go to meetings (you don't have to speak at all), just listen. The next day, get up and start over, one minute, one hour, one day at a time. Keep reaching out for help and support, it's what saved my butt!