Notices

Question

Old 07-09-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

ok i know theres no such thing as a stupid question.... but we all know how our hobbies become about 1000 times better when using and when we try to go back to them sober it just doesnt work...im not going to jeopardize my sobriety because its more fun to play xbox live ***** up, lol. Should i leave all of that behind and try to find new ones? if i have to sit in the house on SR all day with the shades down and a pot of coffee and smokes by my side i plan on it...
Old 07-09-2005, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

In my experience, I only thought those things became better when I was using. At first, as I resumed old activities, everything felt strange, because I wasn't used to experiencing them sober. However, as time went on, I found that I was better at everything when sober than I had been when I was drunk/stoned. Give it time. Being "normal" will start to feel normal soon.

Hugs--
Old 07-09-2005, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey ETAC! Hi and welcome.

Here's what happened to me. My drug and alcohol use messed with the chemicals in my brain to the point that nothing - and I mean nothing, was pleasurable. Part of detox and PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) for me was that it took while for my brain to start producing dopomaine and seritonin (did I get those right?) again. The first couple of months were tough. I admit it. But, and here's the good news, it does get better. The first sign that I was getting better was when I noticed that I could laugh again. The later I started feeling emotions again. They body and mind do adjust, it just takes time.

It sounds like you are determined and committed. Good for you! My early recovery was tough. I just kept telling myself that each day (or minute or hour) was one day closer to really feeling better. I got through it and so can you.

In the meantime, I recommend going to lots and lots of meetings, reading recovery literature and sticking close to people in recovery. Go ahead and give your hobbies a rest for now. You will enjoy them again later sober. Also, you'll discover new things that interest you as you move through the recovery process.

Hang in there.

--phinny
Old 07-09-2005, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Phinneas....you got dopamine and seratonin correct.

As for hobbies....I think you can still do it, but you need to re-experience why it is fun for you. Many times people realize that they CAN enjoy their old hobbies, but in a different way than they did before.

-pedagogue
Old 07-09-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, Phinneas, I found new hobbies that I really liked. They were things that I always wanted to do but never really gave them a serious thought until I got sober. Now I feel like I have a whole new life!

ChrisMan
Old 07-09-2005, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hello

Hello,
Old 07-09-2005, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hello

Hello, I agree with you stormyautumn, everything i did i always had to be drinking, i don't remember half the things i did. Slowly but surely, a day at a time i found myself doing the things i enjoyed without drinking. The other day i could not believe i started to dance without alcohol in me,LOL. I never thought i would say this, but it does get better one day at a time. I no longer have to live my life inside my head, i am now living it outside my head and starting to do all the things i dreamed of, by being sober i have a new life. It is the greatest feeling to feel ALIVE again.It is my life, today i take it back.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

My hobbie WAS drinking. But I know that many struggle or don't find the pleasure in the old hobbies once newly sober, artists, and musicians especially seem to struggle with it, but I also know with time you find new interests in different things, and even a greater pleasure in those old ones.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I guess it different for everyone, but I decided to stay away from everything I did as part of my addiction. Maybe when time has passed I can do some of them again, but at present none of them are vaguely attractive.

nogard