Notices

A question of being ambivalent on quitting

Old 06-21-2005, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question of being ambivalent on quitting

I am on the fence regarding quitting. I'm sick of it yet I still want to drink. I have had my fair share of blackouts, hangovers, embarrasing moments. etc. I am a weekend beer drinker. But I hate even just the weekend drinking because I still waste one or both weekend days with hangovers. I get my chores out of the way and from 3pm on it's drinking time. I'm sick of not being productive not to mention the money I spend at the bar or on taxis due to not wanting to drink and drive.

I'm wondering how many of you were "on the fence" but just started some type of program anyway and as they say - the mind followed. I've been to AA meetings a few times before. I'm also reading about RET to try and quit as well as just trying good old willpower and finding other activities to keep me busy.

Any advice/ comments? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome...

I hope you find answers to your drinking.

BTW...blackouts are a sign of middle stage alcoholism.
This info comes from Page 119 of 'Under The Influence' by Dr. James Milam. Have you read the book?

Good luck...
Old 06-21-2005, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

In my experience, until I was really ready to quit, there was nothing that would make me quit. However, it is not a bad idea to try some things out so you know what you want to do when you are ready.
But I hate even just the weekend drinking
Sounds to me like you are pretty close to being ready!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know that I got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

But I was also not ready to quit when I did. A friend suggested that I come to an AA meeting with them, because I might find it "interesting". Once I got there, I heard a lot of things about being honest that I just couldn't ignore, because I was telling a lot of lies to cover up my drinking. Then I had to spend a lot of time questioning whether I was an alcoholic, which I had never really done before. There were too many blackouts and money problems and missed obligations to ignore in the end. I do know that making the decision to quit and working the program of Alcoholics Anonymous has been the best decision I've ever made, I'm allowed to live again and it's truly wonderful -- but I was only ready when I was ready and that's how it is for everyone.

best to you.

Liz
Old 06-21-2005, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At first I didn't want to quit, then things kept getting worse for me. I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. When I reached that point, I did what I had to do to get and stay sober. It sure does beat having to deal with the after effects of a night of using. That gets old after awhile.