Notices

is this normal?

Old 06-18-2005, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is this normal?

I'm on day 4 and I'm just so tired. I have been sleeping so much for the past few days and I still feel tired. I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat.

is this normal?
what is wrong with me?
Old 06-18-2005, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Angel,
I don't know what your DOC was, but for me, coming off opiates ( pain pills) was tiring. All I wanted to do was sleep. I think a lot of it was depression related, but it did pass. Drink lots of fluids--especially water and avoid caffeine if at all possible because that will just another drug into your system. After the first few days I forced myself to stay up and do something. Part of my depression was I lost my job and I wasn't doing anything. I made myself get out and walk, go to the library and get books, something to stimulate my mind.
I also had some great friends who made sure I was OK ( I was detoxing at home) and just there company kept me from sleeping my life away.
I think it was about 7-10 days before I started feeling physically back to normal.
Hang in there. Day 4 is fantastic!
Dawn
Old 06-18-2005, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Free

In active addiction your body is abused. Now that your not using your probably giving it a chance to recover, and catch up on some needed rest. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gitoph
In active addiction your body is abused. Now that your not using your probably giving it a chance to recover, and catch up on some needed rest. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
+1

Your body needs time to get back to 'normal'. Once you get over the hump you'll feel SOOO much better and wonder how you woke up every day feeling like you got run over by a truck.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lucky for you that you CAN fall asleep at the drop of a hat! You can read oh so many post on this site from people who can't manage to get back into a good sleep cycle.

Congratualtions on your sobriety! Enjoy giving your body what it needs to recover. Each day will get better and better so hang with it and hang with the winners!
Old 06-18-2005, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

I slept much more than normal for the first 30 days of my sobriety. I think others are right, it's the body healing from the abuse we put it thru in active addiction.

Although it was frustrating to be tired all the time, I think that I was better off than other's who have insomnia when quitting.

Have faith, after the first 30 days my energy started to slowly return.
Lisa
Old 06-19-2005, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hey Angel--You have already got many great replies. I agree that what you are experiencing is pretty normal. I would add, though, that getting a little bit of exercise will help. It can actually give you more energy and also help ensure that you don't slip into a worse depression from sleeping too much. If you are already getting exercise, then don't worry! You will feel better soon!

Hugs--
Old 06-19-2005, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is oh so encouraging! I'm going to start exercising tomorrow! I can't wait to get back into the swing of that routine. I hope I start to feel better soon. Thanks for these posts. You are all giving me something good to look forward to.