Notices

I can't sleep sober.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't sleep sober.

It's 4:05 right now. I'm tired. But I'm sobor for once. And I can't sleep sober. Like...I really can't. I have to be drunk or on drugs and pass out or somthing in order to sleep. I work a 6 to 8 hour shift and jiffy lube from, starting at 6 AM. So I ethier go in there hung over or so bloody tired the I feel like I'm going to pass out. Or occationally I wake up in the morning and have a shot or two of whatever I was drinking the night before to make me feel a bit better, but that makes it worse in the long run.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carchick4life
It's 4:05 right now. I'm tired. But I'm sobor for once. And I can't sleep sober. Like...I really can't. I have to be drunk or on drugs and pass out or somthing in order to sleep. I work a 6 to 8 hour shift and jiffy lube from, starting at 6 AM. So I ethier go in there hung over or so bloody tired the I feel like I'm going to pass out. Or occationally I wake up in the morning and have a shot or two of whatever I was drinking the night before to make me feel a bit better, but that makes it worse in the long run.
You CAN do this. It will get easier to sleep sober. Just hang in there. Get sober and stay sober. You will get so tired that sleep will come and you will be happy to be sober and well. It just takes time.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery. Hang in there.The insomnia will pass.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Free

Your ability to sleep naturally will come, at this time your body is fooled into believing that you need a drink(s) to sleep. At first you may have troubles getting to sleep, but in time you'll be back sleeping "normally".
Old 06-18-2005, 03:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You need to train your body to get on a new sleeping pattern. It will take some time, but it will come.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

That is something everyone goes through when they are getting straight/sober and it is HARD. It is what kept me smoking for years, that was my way to go the sleep, I said. Of course the fact that I also smoked every waking hour didn't matter!!! I know patience is in short order especially in realy recovery, but sleep will come to you eventualy. Try not to clock watch, turn your clock away from you at nite, it doesn't help to obsess over the time. Some people recommed drinking tea at night, there is some herbal stuff called "Sleepytime" you may want to try (can't stand the stuff myself!!) a hot bath before bed, relaxing music, maybe read, it's hard, but it will get better.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

I know it's difficult to sleep in the begining. Our bodies go thru some changes! Hang in there,you little angel ! My sleep patterns were all messed up! I was fortunate enough to be able to see a shrink who specialized in addiction.Dunno if that is an option for you.It's good that you posted about it. I am pulling for you.
Bless, Trish
Old 06-18-2005, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

CarChick;
Sleep patterns do get messed up with drinking.
What you think *helps* you to sleep, is also causing disrupted sleep patterns. You crash, cuz your drunk, but, it messes up with your REM sleep. It also causes people to have a restless sleep, waking often. Consequently, you are MORE tired because of those disruptions in your sleep.
Hang in there. Give it a little time, and your body will recover. You will, once again, sleep like a baby!
The sleepytime tea is a good idea. I personally like tension tamer tea by Celestial Seasonings.
Shalom!