Notices

Problems w/ motivation in early sobriety

Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

Problems w/ motivation in early sobriety

Hey there...I was wondering if anyone else had motivational problems in early sobriety. I have a lot of stuff to do (student, finish work on my house, landscaping etc...) but I can't seem to find the interest or energy to get going on things. Seems like most days I have to force myself and it sucks the fun out of things that I might otherwise enjoy.

Any suggestions???

Thanks a bunch
Love Pearl
Old 06-16-2005, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Just kick yourself in the a$$ and do it!! That's what it takes for me to get out of a "funk" though. It doesn't always work, but at least you feel that sense of accomplishment for getting something done and sometimes you get on a bit of a roll. Depending on how long/much you've been using it will take your body longer to recover from the poisons you've been putting in it, so be gentle with yourself, but sometimes it's just a bit of mind over matter!! Good luck, speaking of a$$ kicking I need to get off mine and go mow the lawn!!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hiya Pearl!

Great to see you again!

And Tyler is on spot..relax.

I do a weekly list..one task per day of action. Yesterday was laundry..today floors.

You are doing super Pearl!
Old 06-17-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

I have a problem with that. I have no desire to move. Just don't want to do anything and it's piling up all around me.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One thing I have found is that when I am in a funk I can be brought out of it almost immediately by helping another human being, in particular and addict or alcholic. It improves my self esteem and makes me feel useful, both of which I desperately need in early recovery. Give someone a call and tell them how much you care. Stop by a drop box and donate some clothes. Give someone a ride to a meeting tonight. Or do someone a kindness without having them find out about it. Hope this helps.
Kevin
Old 06-17-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Carol, what a great idea! It certainly takes away the feeling of being overwhelmed. Just one thing -- dust or vacuum or kitchen stove or bathtub, etc.... Thanks!

Pearl, sounds like you have a lot of stuff on your plate. Try making small lists -- remember, not everything needs to been today. Good luck!

kathy
Old 06-17-2005, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pearl,

I know how you feel. I have zero motivation now but I take things in small bits. I just focus on one thing at a time instead of looking at the whole picture.