Notices

Advice Needed

Old 06-09-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ok...

Tips from my detox..

Water and OJ with honey works well...Aspirin for aches..Cut out caffeine..Eat a soft diet..Hard candy for shakes.

Add a Multi vitamin + B 12 + a daily will also help.

You may have trouble sleeping...simply rest and do not panic!

Your system will balance out if you do not drink. It took me 3/4 days to finished the physical detox.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by curia804
Hey, sorry to keep bothering you folks. I have decided to just home detox. I would like any kind of practical tips anyone might have. I've got plenty of motivation, I just need suggestions about how to be safe. Foods to eat, what to do when I have tremors, etc.
Don't appologize! You aren't bothering us in the slightly. We are here to listen.

You can probably get some good advice on here from people's personal experiences...but please understand that this is different from a licensed medical professional. At home detox can be dangerous if done incorrectly. I do not know the particulars of your situation, and I am not a doctor, but I do know that alcohol detox can be more dangerous than detoxing from most other drugs. (My colleagues argue that it is the worst, outside of a poly-abuser detox, but YMMV)

Anyhow....please try and be safe. I still think the best route is through a subsidized faciility like the S.A., but you need to do what you need to do.

-pedagogue
Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

And

This is from my files...I do not have the source. Sorry.

If you plan to stop drinking all at once, you must have medical supervision for your detox if any of the following are true for you:

1. If you have a history of blood pressure that is higher than 140/90.
2. If you have used more than a six pack of beer daily, more than six 4 oz. glasses of wine or more than eight ounces (half a pint) of liquor per day for over a year.
3. If you have had prior withdrawal symptoms, such as depression or agitation.
4. If you have ever had seizures for any reason, and in particular if you have had alcohol DT's.
5. If you are using any other (either illegal or prescription) drugs in combination with the alcohol. This particularly includes benzodiazepines such as Valium, Librium or Xanex.

Withdrawal from significant or long standing alcohol use can be a serious process. Keep yourself safe as you make this change. You are taking a very important and brave step.

Withdrawal symptoms can include depression, insomnia, sweating, tremulousness, agitation, irritability, and brain "fog."

Bleeding, swings in blood pressure, convulsuations, heart palpitations and hallucinations...means the ER.

Withdrawal usually starts 4-6 hours after the time you usually have your alcohol. If you drink every day at 6:00 PM, you will begin to experience discomfort that evening. If you have been a heavy drinker, your doctor may prescribe short term medication which will minimize the possibility of having seizures during detox.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Curia,

Chy's advice is so right on! Emergency rooms treat alcohol withdrawel very seriously. You don't have do it alone.. they will see you if you go to the emergency room. If your blood pressure rises or you even think your blood pressure is rising please go an emergency room because alcohol withdrawel can kill you!

My doctor told me that withdrawel off heroin might make you feel like you're going to die but you won't. He said that withdrawel of alcohol CAN kill you so be sure and take it seriously.

Yours in sobriety,
Michele
Old 06-09-2005, 06:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I went to a doctor a few months ago and was told my BP was high. I am in my early twenties so I think that is odd. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Everyone is urging me to go to the ER but I never knew alcohol detox was so serious.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Curia--Alcohol detox can KILL you. Please go get some help. Be honest with the doctors and take care of yourself. You can do it. There is no shame in asking for help. Let us know how you are doing.

Thinking of you--