Notices
View Poll Results: Does it matter whether addictions counselors are addicts themselves?
Yes, they should be addicts.
31.03%
No, it shouldn't matter.
20.69%
It depends on the individual counselor.
41.38%
Yes, it matters; they should NOT be addicts.
6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Does it matter...

Old 06-02-2005, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Does it matter...

...whether an addictions counselor is in recovery him or herself?

I have been in school in substance abuse counseling and my instructors say it doesn't matter whether counselors are addicts/alcoholics or not. I don't think I agree, but I'd love to hear what some of you other addicts/alcoholics think. Thanks!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-02-2005, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Hey I'm on the same path so I vote no! So long as a counselor in recovery keeps their own recovery paramount I think they have the capacity to be genuine counselors when dealing with alcoholism and substance abuse.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering from 10 yrs of Weed

I wanted to change my vote...but couldn't ..

I was thinking..that an addict knows better about all the things your mind tells you.

But there are some therapists or counslers that have really done their homework and talked with alot of addicts and they too might have a really good grasp on the whole thing.

So I would say..it really depends on the person. Or I would also say..maybe someone needs both types of people in their lives.

It seems to me..after being on this message board for a month...that recovering addicts can give REALLY GOOD advise. They have tried alot of ways to quit and know what works.

So here I sit..on the fence.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was in treatment (28 days) @ five yrs. ago, all of the counselors were in recovery themselves... their impact on me was profound... their shared experiences showed me that I was not alone or unique in my addiction. I know that had they just been professionals having not walked in my shoes it would have been like trying to tell someone how to sail a boat when you have never set foot on a sailboat... :boat

That is also why I have come to realize that the fellowship of AA works for me... it is the one alcoholic helping another alcoholic and that is incredibly healing.

So Eddie between you and I, I think it is invaluable that as a counselor for addiction, you know where your clients have been and what they are going through.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Chy, I guess the question really is can a non-addict be an effective counselor just as much as an addict?

ToriGirl, even if one IS a recovering addict, you still have to be trained/educated like I have been, so hopefully addicts and non-addicts will be on something of an equal footing.

-ez
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

All the counselors in the world tried to find a cure for people caught up in the distructive cycle of alcoholism. It took gathering the alcoholics themselves and making them counselors to others before they found something that works and works good. That is how AA started and why AA has worked so well for all these years.
I can help because I know what is in your thoughts.
I can help because I have been through the same struggles
I can help because of the joy in my heart that was placed there when I found the cure.

A book learned counselor can only help because they trust in what a book told them.
To me, that says they are limited in what they can do.

To show your instructor where having been there and done that is better, share with him/her the beginnings of the AA history
Old 06-02-2005, 09:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Eddie, I've dealt with counsellors from the family side for many year and just from my own experience I found the ones who had been addicts themselves to be the most effective and even more so the best informed as to the reality of addiction.

Even then, some were better than others, but of all the ones I met who had never had any addictions, they were good in the area of psychology and strategies for managing your life, but not as good in recognizing and treating some things like PAWS.

In total I am probably talking about 9 or 10 counsellors and it may not be a fair overview.

Hugs
Ann
Old 06-02-2005, 10:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi I really want to add my "2-cents" for what it's worth to this... It is funny you ask, because I am in an intensive outpaitent treatment group, and my counselor is not in recovery, she is not an alcoholic or addict, BUT (and I have found this same situation in a few counselors) they are adult children of alcoholics. Her father was an alcoholic. I was struggling with this group alot in the beginning, and at the time I did not know she was not an addict/alcoholic, but I DID NOT like here. I just did not feel she was really into understanding what was going on, and she claimed to have been in the field for 11 years. Then I found out that she was not Alc or add. It seemed to make sense to me.
I am FAR more comfortable with a counselor that is in recovery themselves. I don't really even know if I have come across a counselor that was not EITHER an alcoh, add, or a child of one. For some reason it has always been important to me to have a counselor that is. They understand the alc/add mind. They understand the lies, the cheating and all the crap that goes with it. they are also in MY opinion better at seeing through the lies that tthey are told. They just plain seem to know us better.
When I was in my treatments, I made it a point to find out if they were. A character defect of mine?? Probably. It should not matter that much to me, but it does.
Although I am more comfortable now with the IOP group counselor, group seems to be going much better. But I also attribute that to the group we now have. People are beginning to open up more. So I don't know that it is her that has helped the group, or just the change in people?
I do know that my regular D/A counselor is a recovering alcoholic. So is her boss. I repect her VERY much. She does understand me better. But I can not see her until I am done with my IOP group. I have to see the counselor from IOP. I will be very happy to get back and see her. Boy she can pick my crap apart quick though. She is tougher, yet more understanding. She is what I needed to help me. She definately does not just say what I want to hear. She has taught me quite a bit.
This is MY opinion. I just feel they understand us better, and like I said they can spot a lie, or a defect very quickly. Maybe a counselor that is not a alc/addict can over the years, while working with so many different users, can be just as good??
Love, Becky
I agree with BEST. By the way, EDDIE how long have you been in school for this? Will it be long before you are a counselor? They are needed terribly. There was a shortage around here for quite a while...
Old 06-02-2005, 10:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

I would consider the advice of those who have been there, done that over the advice of someone who's to book learned only b/c I feel that experience is the best teacher. Nobody, to my knowledge, has become sober by reading a Doctor's dissertation on the "Effects of Alcoholism on the Temporal Lobe".

I think the voice of experience would be more capable of answering my question which is "What do I do now?", not "What should I do now?"

I'm not saying counselors are bad, and would not be surprised if many people have found them invaluable. But for my recovery, I'll take the other path.

- Greg
Old 06-02-2005, 10:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I misread the poll and after read again would have said depends on the individual.

nogard
Old 06-02-2005, 10:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
perbear

I was an addiction counselor at a treatment centre in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan I knew some that were awesome inspite of not being addicts. However, I think that for most it does help to understand fully when you are a recovering addict yourself.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Wow! So many great responses. Thank you all, Best, Ann, Becky, Greg, nogard, and perbear! And perbear...
Welcome to SR!!
Thanks for coming!
Love and hugs,
Eddie

Now let's hear from the people who said counselors should NOT be addicts. I've not heard that side before.

-ez
Old 06-02-2005, 11:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hmmmm....just my 2 cents.
I teach black history. I am white.
A male professor taught me women's history.
Pilots learn to fly; they are not birds.
A good counselor is hard to find. When you do find one, it shouldn't be an issue. Go with what works.
Shalom!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I do think that theres a huge difference between counsel from one who has walked te same path and stumbled in the same bogs and one who hasn't. And I think the ultimate combination of counelor would be a team approach.

So to me .. yes it does matter and no it doesnt. lol ..

sorry I am so much help Ed..
Old 06-03-2005, 12:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thanks, teach! Actually, my counselor in treatment was not an addict and she was great. I don't think counselors have to be addicts, but I think we may have something of a home field advantage. LOL. Plus I got really frustrated with my classmates who, even after taking those classes, didn't even begin to comprehend addiction.

And thank you, too, Kellie! Sorry I missed you earlier!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-03-2005, 12:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thanks, Gooch! I do appreciate your "help." lol

-ez
Old 06-03-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

When I was in treatment I had two counselors. One was not an addict but went into the field because of family that was. She was really great and did help me. The other was an addict. Sometimes I think he knew what I was thinking before I did.
I will always be grateful to the non addict but the addict was the one who helped the most.
kathy
Old 06-03-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thanks to you, too, Kathy! Yeah, I believe one of the instructors that was saying it didn't matter was in recovery and one wasn't, so it surprised me that the one who I think was recovering would say it didn't matter. That's kind of why I started this poll.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-03-2005, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Did someone say that a councillor shouldn't be an addict???
Must of missed that post...
when i was in treatment i to started asking my councillors if they were addicts....there was one that wasn't..my defenses went up...i just didn't feel that she could relate to me like somone of my own kind...
I do like historyteach's words though...
i don't know....normal people scare me!!!
lol
I want to take the addiction councilling course myself...we must be 2 years clean and sober first though....1 year and 6 days to go!!!
\\// Wendy
Old 06-03-2005, 08:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

I totally agree with wantneeda. I know I already replied, but just wanted to say, that she said exactly what i was trying to say, I just tend to draaaggg my answers out I did ask in treatment also. I think I said that above. It was important to me.. I am more comfortable learning from someone whos been there. How can you really understand addiction, if you have never lived it. I know that my husband has lived through ALOT with me, but I don't believe that he TOTALLY understands. He tries and he does a good job, but I know that he can't really get it. Becky