Notices

Hello, my name is Tyler and I am NOT an Addict!!

Old 06-01-2005, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Lightbulb Hello, my name is Tyler and I am NOT an Addict!!

I do not accept the label addict, alcoholic, or any other other means to define me. I am a person who has chosen not to allow mind altering substances into my body. I do this because of the past negative experience that I have had with these substances and the fact that I am a good person and do not with to harm myself intentaionally. I will enjoy the positve aspects of life and try to learn from the negative understanding, that "life" encompasses both positve and negative. From this day forward, this is how I choose to live.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice to see your determination to choose a better way of living life.
More power to you.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Hi, You are the first person that i have heard of that was out of control with useing. and isn't an addict. My name is bill and i am an alcoholic and i am not ashamed of saying that i am. Glad that you are ok with that and i am glad that you are here and a member of SR.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is true that I have an addiction to drugs, but it is but one part of my total being, it does not define me. BTW I have no problem with anyone else identifying as an addict, alcoholic, or anything else for that matter if it helps them, however it does not help me, therefore, I reject it.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Whatever it takes.
And however we get there.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

If the label bothers you Tyler,that's cool,and your right,it doesnt haveto define us.It took me awhile before I got to that point.I am actually proud to be an addict in recovery today,the label "addict" holds nothing negative for me today,for me to be an addict and not be using is a miraculous gift.No shame in my game!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tyler,

Many blessings to you and the new life you are pursing. I think it all a matter of personal preference and whatever works for each individual. Any way you look at it, there are many things that we have to work on and Tyler, as long as you are staying sober, things will turn out ok for you.

Hugs,
C
Old 06-01-2005, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it works for you then it works for you.. take what you want and leave the rest!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
knucklehead

All of you, I can dig what you are saying. Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

I remember hating the label alcoholic because I was so much more than that. I still am. Within time I've been able to accept who I am and labels others put upon me. It really doesn't matter to me anymore. My feelings didn't change overnight. It took time. I've grown into my recovery and a better understanding of who I am. Those labels? Just another word. Don't sweat it. It's alright. Learn and grow.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tyler,

I like what you had to say and your outlook on things. If that works for you then do you! I can see where all of you are coming from and all having good points. It's good to admit what we are "addicts" but that is not the only thing that defines us and we shouldn't just be labeled as just 'addicts". Personally, I'd like to think of myself as recovering addict for now. When I say I'm an addict I feel as though it labels me as still using and I'm not. Keep up the positive outlook on things!!! I noticed the other day you had some what of a bad day but for the most part you always seem to be very positive. All your replies to my post or threads or whatever you call them *haha* are always helpful and I like your attitude.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((((((Tyler)))))))
When my way did not work and I decided to drop the lengthy lables of addict-alcoholic, etc... etc... .............................................
I simply joined AA and became, a member. Eventually I humbled myself a bit and saw good reason for identifying. After just hanging out at meetings my way was still not working so I gave their way my best try. Still working for me.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Kiss Heart of Spirit

3 Legacy
Old 06-01-2005, 08:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

I have lots of things that describe me, alcoholic is actually one of the nicer things I've been labelled in the past five years.

I am, however, human.

I or other may use whatever labels to describe me, but only human defines me.

As such, I never concerned myself with all those other words, as long as they spell my name right.

Unfortunately, I never get the really good labels like "rich" and "strikingly handsome" (except from my Mom).
Old 06-01-2005, 08:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Tyler, my name is Diana and I am an addict, alcoholic, cigarette smoker, food eater, mother, sister, daughter, employee, animal lover, optimist, fisherwoman, avid reader, CSI lover, and so many more. Not necessarily in that order.

Many titles define me.
Nice to meet you Tyler, some of us march to a different drummer, but hey, as long as we're all marching in the same parade.

Keep coming back
Diana
Old 06-01-2005, 08:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Tyler....call yourself loved because you are!

Congratulations on beginning a new way of living.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Wow, this thread is SO COOL!!! At first when I looked at it, I thought, oh, oh, I don't know if some might be irritated by what you wrote. Then, as I read, I thought, This is SO cool!! The LOVE that is shown here in this thread is just so neat!! Call us what you will, I call us all very lucky humans, lucky to be alive, and lucky to have learned soooo much through the whole process of addiction, whether we call ourselves that or not
The WHOLE group here is so loving, and caring. I don't honestly know that I have seen such a large group of people from all different walks of life, of course that all share a common problem, illness, but all are so smart, so kind, and so loving!! I am happy to be a member here and SO happy that YOU TYLER, are also here!! Love ya all!! Becky
Old 06-02-2005, 05:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ditto Angelgirl.

I was waiting to read lots of preaching! Just goes to show me how little faith I still have in the wisdom of recovering "whatever you want to label them people."
Old 06-02-2005, 05:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hey Tyler--What you call yourself is of very little importance. As long as you don't pick up that drink or drug, everything else will fall into place!

Hugs--
Old 06-02-2005, 06:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your supportive replies. I too wasn't sure what kind of replies I would receive, but I needed to post this for my own reasons. I was prepared for the preaching and that would be OK too as everyone has their own opinion of what works for them. For me, I feel I've been making things too complicated for too long. Searching for "just the right "program" that would make everything all right. Everything I need is within me if I can just acces it. By saying that I'm not sayingn it isn't good to reach out to others for support, advice, etc, but I am the one who has to do the work, so it has to be something I am comfortable with. Much love to all the AA/NA/Lifering/SMART/SR and other recovery people out there. May we all find our own way. Peace to all. Tyler
Old 06-02-2005, 07:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler
Thank you all for your supportive replies. I too wasn't sure what kind of replies I would receive, but I needed to post this for my own reasons. I was prepared for the preaching and that would be OK too as everyone has their own opinion of what works for them. For me, I feel I've been making things too complicated for too long. Searching for "just the right "program" that would make everything all right. Everything I need is within me if I can just acces it. By saying that I'm not sayingn it isn't good to reach out to others for support, advice, etc, but I am the one who has to do the work, so it has to be something I am comfortable with. Much love to all the AA/NA/Lifering/SMART/SR and other recovery people out there. May we all find our own way. Peace to all. Tyler
((((((((Tyler)))))))))
I understand your feelings. I made things way more complicated than they had to be for way too long also. Wearing too many hats confused the heck out of me and complicated my own personal recovery. I would suggest picking "one" program and giving it your all and seeing if that lets you tap that inner resource it appears you are seeking.

Best of Luck and many blessings on your journey,
Brett