Notices

To AA or Not To AA?

Old 05-29-2005, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beginner

Unhappy To AA or Not To AA?

I know everyone has replied and said to start going to AA and even though I know it would help, I'm not really comfortable talking in front of people I don't know. I guess that's part of the process but I really don't want to. It is completely necessary to go to meetings? what do I do....?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Abergirl,

The main thing is to not drink today. I'm not an AA person, but I know it works well for many people. There are lots of books that are really helpful. My favorite is "The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav, which helped me to understand the reasons why I was an addict. "The Dance of Wounded Souls" by Robert Burney has been really helpful in showing me how to move forward spiritually and to begin to forgive myself and love myself. Do whatever you can do and need to do to stop drinking. It will be so worth it.

Love, Anna
Old 05-29-2005, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

First off I want to say welcome. I'm glad you made it here. My name is LeAnne, an alcoholic. You don't have to speak at an AA meeting if you don't want to. You can just listen if you feel more comfortable. That's what I did my first few meetings. I often just listen and relate to what others are saying. Find the local listings of meetings in your area and just go. You'll be glad you did. Once you get your first meeting out of the way, it will become familiar and you will start to fill more comfortable. You'll be glad you did. AA saved my life. It really did. I knew I had a serious drinking problem and couldn't stop on my own. That is where AA made a difference in my life. Literally the difference between living and dying. I couldn't continue on at the rate I was going. There is a solution...check it out. You'll be glad you did. It takes time to get the hang of it, but it's well worth it.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

You may want to look into some other programs such as SMART Recovery http://www.smartrecovery.org Lifering http://unhooked.com or some of the others you can find listed in the "12 step alternative" section on the forum. Here is the link, the list is a bit overwhelming!!http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/a...sto12step.html Good luck and keep posting!! This is another good site with info about alternative programs http://rrci.net/recovery_spectrum.htm
Old 05-29-2005, 10:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

The only thing that is *completely necessary* is to stop drinking.

I wouldn't let the fear of public speaking stop you from AA. The confidence and support you can gain from the group may even help you in this area. I have yet to see someone booed offstage at an AA or any other recovery meeting.

- Greg
Old 05-29-2005, 10:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

second that!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 03:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome

Hiya abergirl. My names Bonnie and i have been sober for one month now! i was terrified about going to AA at first but i am so glad i did! it has helped me so much and i beleive i would be drunk if i didnt go. I have a major problem with public speaking to the extent that i have panic attacks about it but no one asked me to say a word untill i was ready. The thing about AA is, that listining is more important that talking. But this isnt for everyone. As Anna says, there are books and other programs out there. But i love AA and would recomend it to anyone who had a desire to stop drinking. Take it one step at a time. Dont pick up the first drink and you are on the right track.

Good luck luv bonnie,xxx