Notices

Needing help and feeling Lost

Old 05-28-2005, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing help and feeling Lost

I am new to this, and I am trying to find a place or group online where I can start my recovery. I am currently taking alot of pain pills everyday. It started out as prescribed by the doctor and got out of control from there. I would like to quit. Does anyone know of meetings online or a place online that would help me do this???
Old 05-28-2005, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Poohbear,

Welcome to SR. There's lots of support to be found here. There are online meetings at SR, if you just scroll down the main page, you'll find a topic 'Miscellaneous' and Chat and Online Meetings are under that heading. That will give you all the info you need.

Anna
Old 05-28-2005, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This was pulled from the CHAT Forum...for your reading pleasure. I also added some arrows to the ones you may be interesting in.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Welcome to SR!

-pedagogue

All Meetings Are Held in The Meeting Room.
ALL MEETINGS ARE OPEN MEETINGS.

Sunday Times

Recovery Meeting for members of AA
EURO MEMBERS WELCOME!!
(12 Step Format)
10am Pacific / 11am Mtn. / 12pm Central / 1pm Eastern
(18:00 BST "British Summer Time")
Chair: JaySee

SUNDAY EVENING
A Recovery Meeting for Family & Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts.
5pm Pacific / 6pm Mtn. / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern
Chair: abtchonamission

Monday Times

MONDAY NIGHT-
Recovery Meeting for Members of Al-Anon and Nar-Anon
(12 Step, Step Discussion)
7pm Pacific / 8pm Mtn. / 9pm Central / 10pm Eastern
Chair: Osier59

--->Tuesday Times<---

TUESDAY NIGHT-

Recovery Meeting for Members of NA
6:30pm Pacific / 7:30pm Mtn.
8:30pm Central / 9:30pm Eastern

Chair: lonlion

--->Wednesday Times<---

WEDNESDAY EVENING-
NEWCOMERS CHAT
Meeting for newcomers seeking answers to a variety of questions.
Chair: Chy

Thursday Times

THURSDAY NIGHT-
Recovery Meeting for Members of Al-Anon and Nar-Anon
(Topic Discussion)
5pm Pacific / 6pm Mtn. / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern
Chair: historyteach

Recovery Meeting For Members of AA
(Step Study, discussion will pertain to a different step each week.)
Chair: KelKel

Friday Times

FRIDAY NIGHT-
Recovery Meeting for members of AA
(12-step format)
Chair: Hpierce

Go To Chat Room Here.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

To be honest the chat room here is not very busy, but the message boards are quite active. If you post questions you will usually receive some sort of response in a few minutes. This is a link to another recovery site with NA chat http://www.12stepforums.net/na/nachat.html I am not particularly familar with it so I don't know how busy it is, but you might give it a try. The best thing would be to go to a meeting in person.
Here is a link of the listing of meetings within 30 miles of you: http://portaltools.na.org/portaltool...rchResults.cfm
Good luck, keep posting here too, you will find some good advice and kind people.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jack

Hi PoohBear...the 1st thing you need to know is are you still taking them for pain or cuz you like thr way they make you feel? Whatever the answer it sounds like this is a new thing for you and you're not addicted yet. Talk to your doctor and he can wean you from the heavy duty meds by slowly reducing the dosage or changing pills until you don't need them any more. Dr's. see this all the time and know it's a habit you don't want. Some people take a great deal of pain meds but for them it's necessary and it's called 'pain management'. If you're really hooked on them and have been taking them a long time still tell your doctor. He'll help you get into a detox/rehab. If you're an addict and have been lying, stealing, doctor shopping etc. then you need help you might get here. The end result if you really want to stop might still be an in patient treatment facility or intensive out patient care. We can give you advice, moral support etc., but you're the one who has to stop the pills. Good luck and God bless.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Exclamation

I want to quit, but my mind is being is not alway in my control. I had four months in and then I relapsed. Since then I have not been able to put more than 4-5 days together.

I honestly wonder if I really want to quit. How do you know if you are crazy becauise if I continue this I must be!!

I am getting really frustrated, finding it hard to get to meeting.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I understand what you are saying about being of two minds about quiting. On the one hand you know you need to quit, but you want to get high. What to do. You might want to look into some of the tools that SMART Recovery has http://smartrecovery.org They have methods that can help overcome this type of thinking. AA/NA meetings are good too because you can develop a network of people to call when you want to use. But the bottom line is that you have to choose to stay clean and sober. Your body does not control itself and go and drink and drug on it's own, you make a conscious choice to do so and you have to learn to make a conscious choice not to. Is it easy, hell no it isn't! But it is possible, you can do it. Look around these boards and see all of those who have done it, go to an AA/NA meeting and see all the people who are making the choice to stay clean and sober. It is hard and takes work, and yes, you really have to want it, but it can be done. Take care.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hello Poohbear115 & adpage--Welcome to SR!! As you can already see, this is a wonderful place with a lot of really supportive people who have been right where you are. Some are there right now. My name is Laura and I am an alcoholic addict whose DOC was marijuana. I have dabbled in pain pills as well, though, and I know how very powerful they can be. Hang out for a while. Keep posting and asking questions. Let us get to know you and vice versa!

Hang in there--
Hugs--
Old 05-29-2005, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Poohbear,
This site is a great place for what I call adjunctive support. Meaning--in addition to face to face meetings and therapy.
In my experience, there is nothing the same as looking someone in the face and being held accountable for recovery issues. Online, we can "hide" and that isn't good for recovery.
So, this is a good place to start, and from here, you need to be honest with yourself and then with your doctor(s) that are perscribing the pills.
Hang in there. It is hard, but it is worth the work!