Notices

Where do I start?

Old 05-23-2005, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where do I start?

I know that I need to stop drinking. I am scared and embarrassed. I am only 23 and Part of me is angry because I feel it is unfair that my friends can go out and enjoy themselves, and I cannot control myself. Any suggestions??
Old 05-23-2005, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Well I think that you are off to a good start you are here, the hard part is staying here. The reason that they can handle it and we can't is because we are alcoholic and addicts. When we drink our use the obsession come back and we have no choice then. So the only way is complete abstenance(sp). One more thing you can ponder is that I know I use to think that I was a pretty good drunk and in actuallity I never could control my drinking or druging. So I am glad that you made it here.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Snettz,

Welcome!

I think that the need to make the decision to stop drinking involves lots of emotions - guilt, shame, disappointment, anger, and even surprise (how did this happen!?). I had spent 3 years drinking in order to avoid my feelings and when I stopped drinking, there was a lot of stuff to face.

My suggestion would be to focus on the moment and don't think about 'forever'. It can be really overwhelming. Be kind to yourself and try to begin to forgive yourself. Hang around here and you'll find lots of inspiration and support.

Anna
Old 05-23-2005, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and Welcome!

You are so smart! Most drimkers do not reach out for help so quickly!

I suggest reading the post...we have several newcomers in early sobriety.

Do stay with us ...we understand because we once were exactly in your predictment.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you! I am hoping this helps. I have done some pretty go things with my life so far and lately I am seeing them slip away because I am drinking so much. I don't wanna ruin everything I have worked for but man I can come up with some good excuses to get wasted. I want to make a change. It's just embarrassing. I am an outgoing person, and saying no to social situations that I cannot handle is going to be hard.... any suggestions? My best friend is the only one that knows about my whole problem. I have joked about it with others... I think that is my way of nonchalauntly breaking the news to them.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, Snettz! Lotsa hugs! Glad you made it here, millions don't.

"Where do I start?" Start by stopping drinking. No matter what. There is no situation so bad that a drink won't make it worse. You didn't mention drugs in your share, so I'll take it that that's not a problem, but if it is, no more recreational or illegal drugs either, only what a doctor prescribes.

You're scared and embarrassed. Good. It means you're taking this seriously. Congratulations. Remember, if you stop drinking, you won't get drunk and embarrass yourself by what you do when sh**faced. Those days are behind you.

It's not fair that your "friends" can go out and "enjoy themselves" and you can't?

Too simple. Find new friends. A good place to look is at AA meetings. Join AA. NOW!

You're only 23? There are lots of young people in AA. Age doesn't matter. I'll be 50 three months from today...BUT.... I sobered up at 33. I was eligible (powerless over alcohol) at 17. You don't have to ride the garbage truck all the way to the dump.

Good stuff from Anna, focus on today. I'm still only trying to stay away from one drink - the first one - for one day - today. Tomorrow, if I wake up, I'll do the same.

Again... Join AA. Pick up the phone. We all went to our first meeting once. We felt like you feel. Go.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I

Last edited by Luckyv2; 05-23-2005 at 06:49 PM. Reason: DELETE
Old 05-23-2005, 06:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Lightbulb

Snettz All We Have To Worry About And Actually We Don't Have To Worry We Just Don't Drink Or Use Right Now. That Is All We Can Live Anyway, So I Don't Like To Make Suggestions Because I Don't Even Know What Is Good For Me But My Sponsor Reminds Me All The Time First Things First. This Too Will Pass. Just Keep Doing What You Are Doing. My Email Is There If You Need To Talk I Am Usually Available
Old 05-23-2005, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...

you do not have to tell your friends anything. You are doing this for yourself..

I suggest you find an AA meeting. Take your 1 friend along. You need not talk..just listen. See if you can relate with what you hear.

Here is info so you will know what to expect..

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/...AA_Meeting.html

Getting and staying sober is not easy but sooo very rewarding!

You can do this!
Old 05-23-2005, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I joined you guys only a few hours ago and I can't thank you enough. I don't wanna get ahead of myself because this is only day 1 but. This is the most hope I have seen for myself .

I will admit I am scared of the meetings. I think I am gonna stick around here a bit. I need to get comfortable with the reality of this whole thing. I am just hoping that in a few days I am not posting with tears streaming down my face the whole time.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Originally Posted by snettz
I will admit I am scared of the meetings. I think I am gonna stick around here a bit. I need to get comfortable with the reality of this whole thing.
You'll find that the meetings are pretty much a let down, if you expect to be scared. Probably on the same level of the latest Jason Vorhees movie in terms of scariness.

They are not all gnashing of teeth and people saying how thier lives suck. Some of them are, but shop around and take notes, find meetings and people you like if you have the opportunity. Sometimes even those hard to listen to groups are good to go to if you're in the mood or need a good kick in the pants.

Heck, I lurked here for a good six months (ok, nine months) before I jumped in and went into my first serious meeting schedule after firing a few meetings across my sobriety's bow a couple years back.

Be comfortable, but not *too* comfortable. Once I got too comfortable, it was back to the bar. Results may vary. You wont be any less mad about not being able to control your drinking in 10 or 20 years, if I were a betting man.

- Greg
Old 05-23-2005, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You don't have to ride the garbage truck all the way to the dump. 23 is a great age to get off the truck and get on with the better part of your life.

I know how you feel though. I'm 24 and I used to wish that I just have just stopped when I'm older. Then I had to realize that if I kept on using, I might not live to be any older.

So I got off the terrible truck and so can you. I'm glad that you are here at SR!