Notices

I think that I'm gonna loose it!

Old 05-22-2005, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I think that I'm gonna loose it!

OK...I have finally came to the realality that I need to go and get some kind of professional help. I got into a huge fight with my boyfriend, and we have broke up. The first thing that entered my mind was to get high....I have always used this stupid addiction to numb any pain that I have so I don't have to deal with the pain that I feel, and I need to stop. This helps here but I think that I need more than that. Normal people don't think this way.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

A good theripist can be a great thing. I've been seeing several over the years and it can really help you sort things out. Make sure you find someone you are comfortable with. If you aren't comfortable with the person, don't hesitate to try someone else. Every theripist has their own style and they won't usually be offended if you want to try someone else, often times they can recommend someone they know who may be a better fit. Good luck, take care.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Agnostic with faith

Hi Lindee,

"The first thing that entered my mind was to get high...to numb any pain that I have and don't have to deal with it...". Isn't that what our addiction is all about, our first reaction to adverse situations. The thing is you'll be adding another problem to the one(s) you already have and needless to say it won't lead you anywhere but further down the pit.

Finding a therapist is a good solution ( it's working for me). He/she will help you deal with the adversities of life in a healthy manner by offering a number of tools to fight them without resorting to alcohol or drugs. Therapy helps you knowing yourself better, your feelings specially and once you feel confortable identifying them it becomes easier for you to "predict" an impending relapse and the best ways to avoid it as well as to feel less stressed.

Of course, this is only my opinion since it's been working for me. Many others here on this board might suggest other ways of defeating or coping with this disease.

You're off to a good start now that you've admitted you really need professional help.

You have my wishes of very best of luck.

Love - Pedro.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First thing to keep in mind is not to pick up when life starts going rough. Things are gonna happen but using will not make anything any better at all. Drugs/alcohol will only makes things so much worse and cause more pain. You can get stronger and deal with life in healthier ways by reaching out to others and getting help.

You don't have to drown the pain anymore. I heard a saying once that said "I tried to drown my sorrows but they learned to swim." Finding a good therapist would help so much. Find someone you are compatible and comfortable with. I wish you all the best in your quest.

Hugs to you-