Notices

Hello.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello.

Hi there.

I am a 27 year old male from the UK, and I have drunk fairly heavily for some time, and while i didnt think i drunk to excess (no-one ever does, right?) i need to sort this facet of my life out now once and for all.

I have in the last 5 years been banned from driving for DUI on 2 occaisions and the last 2 years i have been off the road my drinking has spiralled.

I have ben trying to limit my drinking however it is quite patent that i cannot say no, and therefore i have taken the decision that the only alcohol i can drink, at least in the short-medium term is NONE.

Now this is the start of what i am sure is a long road to recovery, and one that i am sure i will be asking a lot of questions on and about my path with you guys.

Any ideas you can give me i would very much appreciate.

Thankyou.

Dave
Old 05-08-2005, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Welcome troublemaker! Sounds like you are on the right track. Though I don't consider myself a big 12 step recovery person, I find the Just for Today concept helpful. You don't have to worry about not drinking a month from now or a year from now, or even tomorrow, just don't drink now, do that for long enough and the time will take care of itself. Good luck on your journey and keep posting. There is a lot of wisdom here and feel free to post what you need to even if you just need to whine a little bit. Take care.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by troublemaker
I have ben trying to limit my drinking however it is quite patent that i cannot say no, and therefore i have taken the decision that the only alcohol i can drink, at least in the short-medium term is NONE.

Dave
Oh how that sounds like me! Every time I drink I tell myself I'm just gonna have 1.....next thing I know I've finished off a 1/2 gallon of whiskey!

I'm new to SR, but I have found it to be a great help to me. Just knowing I'm not alone has helped me find the strength to not take that first drink.

I think you'll find alot of support here.

Hang in there!
Old 05-08-2005, 11:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Welcome to SR, Troublemaker!
You've come to the right place for support as you take this step towards your sobriety and your health. Others will be here soon to give you help and support. In the meantime, take a look around the boards. There is an AA forum and an alcoholism forum which both offer help and different methodologies on quitting. Read the stickys on the top of the forums. Post away; ask questions; share your story as others share theirs with you. Oh, and don't forget the Follies forum. Nothing like a good chuckle to help ease the troubled soul.
I wish you well on your journey!
Shalom!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to

see you are choosing a better way of life!

AA is where I learned how to enjoy sobriety.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Welcome Dave!!
Old 05-09-2005, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hello Dave--Welcome to SR. This is a great place with very supportive people who genuinely want to see you get better. I would also suggest finding some sort of face to face support. In the meantime, hang out, read some threads, post some more and let us get to know you! Glad you are here!

Hugs--
Old 05-09-2005, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave

You will find lots of information and support here on SR. I am early in my recovery and it has helped me to do lots of reading on various websites about different recovery programs. It keeps me busy and allows me to see my problem and recovery options from different points of view. There are many sites for you to check out if you search under alcoholism. Best Wishes...and feel free to ask or say anything you need here.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thankyou for the messages of support.

I am working myself pretty hard at the moment (i run my own company) which i think is very helpful for keeping myself focused on other things.

However that is for other forums.

Thanks once again
Old 05-09-2005, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Dave and welcome, busy is good, glad you found us!