Notices

Do the physical cravings go away?

Old 05-05-2005, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do the physical cravings go away?

I craved a drink badly for the first day. I had the shakes, dizziness, cold sweats, a headache, and I couldn't sleep. By the second day that was all gone, but I had a gnawing feeling in my stomach that I usually get after going a while without a drink. It feels like being very hungry and it seems like I've been eating everything in the house. I gained weight by drinking, I don't need to gain more getting sober! I can't afford a new wardrobe.

Today that feeling seems to be going away but I'm still more hungry than usual.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used hard candy to get me through the worst times - my favorites being Jolly Ranchers. A paid friend made me understand that alcohol contains alot of sugar. when I quit drinking, I was really craving sugar. Hard candies, going to meetings, talking to other alcoholics, and reciting the serenity prayer several times a day got me through.

Best of luck, one day at a time.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Over on the

Alcoholism forum is a sticky right on top about withdrawal.

Try eating veggies for a week or so. Cut out cafine.

Start AA so you will learn how to stay sober...this can be your last de toxing!

You can do this...
Old 05-06-2005, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Ready to Change,

It seems like your detox period is on a fast track, and you are doing well....the sweats, shakiness, etc. could have lasted longer, and some mild symptoms may reapear. Remember that the physical part is only one part of craving...get thyself busy meditating or doing something physical...well, find some activitiy which slows and focuses your mind away from thoughts of craving. Oh...and drink tons o water...will fill you up and flush you out.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sugar replacement helps but does add the weight (Now a lover of ice cream). But I also found that exercise helps in all areas. Just take a brisk walk a couple of times a day, avoid elevators, etc.

The exercise will also help you sleep at nights becuase you become physically tired.

I know that several women have joined Curves in their recovery and found it to be helpful. Being a guy, I do not know of anything similar, so I joined the Y and go a couple of times a week.

Have a great day.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

RTC:
Think about the calories you used to consume drinking!

For me, if I had an 18 beer night, that was over 1800 extra calories! Typically I pulled in 12-2400 extra calories every day... Don't worry so much about eating more. Try to keep sugar to a minimum, but if you crave it, give in for a while (brownie addict here). Cutting it out over time will help you eliminate sugar AND alcohol cravings...

and I'll echo CarolD -- get into AA and learn to live sober. That is a great thought, too -- this can be your LAST detox!

Ken
Old 05-06-2005, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it will go away drink lots of water hang in there. bill