Notices

Started hearing things (Hallucinations).......

Old 05-04-2005, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started hearing things (Hallucinations).......

Ive been sober for about a year and a couple of months now. In that time I have always wondered about something. I remember,...when I quit, I had called the treatment center and they told me they couldnt get me in for about 4 days. So I had to "white-knuckle" it until then. While I was waiting and not drinking, at night I began to hear faint orchestra or symphony music. I had a fan that I ran in my room at night. The sound always helped me sleep. When I heard this "music", I began to panic because I thought it was part of the hallucinations that was told I may go through. I got up and turned the fan off thinking if the music was real,...then I would hear it better without the fan sound. When I turned off the fan, the music was gone. It WAS totally me just hearing things. Ive since talked to only one other person who had experienced this. I was wondering if anyone else had as well. That wasnt all though. I also, during the course of a day would hear knocking at my apartment door. Open it up and nobody there. I had a cat and would be walking through my kitchen or something and think I saw her out of the corner of my eye running under my feet. It seemed so REAL, that I thought I was going to step on her. I'd, like, skip on one foot to avoid stepping on her, almost fall, then look back and find out she was fast asleep on my couch the entire time. Hallucinations. Wow. Very scary. Ive always wondered if any of you had gone through similar experiences. Please share if so. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've heard many stories of hallucinations in the detox process. In early withdrawal, I had auditory hallucinations where I heard the low thrum of music constantly for 3 or 4 days. I assume it was a consequence of the poisons in my body and severe insomnia. Whatever the reason, I was a paraniod mess. Thank g-d I don't have to experience that ever again if I just don't pick up the first drink or drug.

--phinny
Old 05-04-2005, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had that a few days when I first got clean. It was a weird experience and freaked me out. I thought I was going crazy! I guess with the alcohol/drugs, my mind had been twisted and turned inside out and back again. It does heal and those creepy things just go away.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

i never really had a detox however my drinking was to the point that whenever i drank that next morning and during most of the day i would hallucinate. i would hear people calling my name or something a bunch of different things the most scarey was driving to work and i remember getting some major ones. so alcohol does so many horrible things to your body!!
Old 05-04-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HPierce
i would hear people calling my name
Oh, yeah, isn't that so freaky?? I heard that too and then I would turn around and no one would be there.

It's weird so good thing that it gets less and less and fewer and far between.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes,....but I had told someone about this in the beginning of recovery and they said they had experienced music as well. But,...I was very weirded out and interested at the same time at the fact that they heard the very same TYPE of music. Im curious why we both heard orchestra or symphony music. I mean,....I like hard rock,...and metal usually. So its not based on the type of music Im exposed to normally. Weird.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My brother once claimed that he saw my dead father sitting next to him in his pickup truck. He traded the truck soon after -- was actually afraid of it.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had delerium tremens where green mud would ooze out of the walls, a witch would fly around the room and I would hear choral music. Also sober if I am under extreme prolonged stress I can start catching things out of the corner of my eye. The stress is the problem.

I have read (psychiatrist) that it is definately time to go to the Doctor if you hear voices originating from outside your head, or if you get personal broadcasts from your radio, or if you begin to think your home or property is bugged and someone is spying on you, or if you think people can read your thoughts.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Back in the days where I had just given up speed after three years of virtually every-day usage...my hallucinations saw me crawling around the house, convinced that my abusive ex was carrying an axe and trying to kill me..
Old 05-05-2005, 12:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Oh yes

Pop songs, bells, people talking, spiders in the bed, huge spiders under the bed, spiders on my arms, animals, bugs coming out of the walls, things on the peripheral of my vision - thank you for the reminder earlybird.

I don't have that today, but I can have it back anytime - all I need is that first drink.

much love
JC