Notices

Hi Everybody

Old 05-01-2005, 02:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Smile Hi Everybody

Hi I'm new on here, I'm fortunate to not be an alcoholic, however the love of my life is and has been for some 6 years or so. We've been together for just over 6 months now.

Trish, my partner, has also registered on here, she has been sober for 3 days now, not long but oh so very long.

I owe her a lot because I think that her getting involved with me hasn't ben the easiest thing. Trish is a lot younger, or should I say not nearly as old as me. I've just been through a seperation where my wife left me and was so very close to not being here today. Trish has been my saviour through this.

I'm stubborn, stopped taking the anti-depressants I was prescribed as I believed they were not doing any good. Basically Trish has lit the light at the end of the tunnel and shown me the path to happiness.
I sincerely wish that I am and continue to do the same for Trish.

I would dearly like a to provide Trish with a miracle cure because she is such a wonderful person. Yep I know that there is no cure, but continual treatment. I'm certainly going to be asking for help on here; should I have done that, is this what I should do etc etc etc. So you're all going to have to put up with me.

My first question is has anybody tried hypnosis? does anybody recommend it? All views and opinions are welcome.

Anyway folks Hi
Old 05-01-2005, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Drunk

Hypnosis?.......I dont know about all that. What I do know is that there are lots of doctors who could give you a professional opion about what you can do for yourself.......that is all the advice I could give on such a thing.

I am an alcoholic, have been for many years......but I have been sober for almost a year and a half, and I can say that the AA program WORKS! As long as I dont' try to live life "My Way", I will be alright.

I can tell you this, too. I dont have the answers, my higher power does. Its like this.....I have done so many ****** things to people in the past, I have a lifetime of being nice and helping people to make up for in the future. In other words, my best bet is to try to do good things for others........THAT is what is really going to help my recovery, more than anything else.

Do you know much about AA or NA?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Drunk

Exclamation

Did I mention that I am also a raging addict as well?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi STzenn, AA is one of the ways that we are trying, we went to a meeting on Saturday and another Sunday. We also went to the doctors on Friday and Trish has been enrolled on a Health Care Plan, (3 sponsors are required and a plan is drawn up it also provides 5 free sessions with an appropriate health worker). We were also told about an in-pateint de-tox, with counselling, which Trish is to have an assessment for in a week, she will also have counselling as an out patient. We did speak to the doctor about hypnosis she said we could give it a try, but I wasn't convinced that she was convinced, perhaps that's just sceptical ole me. It does also concern me that perhaps hypnotists can perhaps do damage willingly or not. I myself have gone on-stage to be hypnotised, but it didn't work, perhaps a reason to be sceptical.

It's day 4 now and it's visibly hard on Trish, although I think that she deserves a round of applause. I do a 3 hour spot on community radio, Trish came along this morning and contributed. She actively did things, like asked to go and get the coffees, got everyone drinks, basically looked after us all as well as contributing to the show itself.

Me personally I'm pretty scared, will I or won't I do the right thing. I'm trying to persaude Trish to keep her mind active. Is this right, my guess is that so much depends on so much that perhaps many things are both right and wrong. Sheesh this is hard and it's going to get harder, but there again my resolve must be harder, perhaps that's what I should concentrate on.

The problem that both Trish and I see with AA is that neither of us follow a religion which makes some of the twelve steps a little hard. My belief is that we should tailor them all accordingly.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mike

Welcome to SR. I am not an alcoholic either, however I have been in a relationship with one. I know how hard it is to live with someone in active addiction and that is is sometimes harder when they begin to find recovery. Why not join us on the Friends and Family board?

It is good that you are being supportive, but don't forget that you can't get well for her. Only she can do that.

Take care

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 05-02-2005, 02:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by minnie
Mike

It is good that you are being supportive, but don't forget that you can't get well for her. Only she can do that.

Take care

Love

Minnie
xxx
Absolutely Minnie. Any more than intitial support would have taken away my intrinsic motivation to stay sober. Unless I felt that I had choice I would ultmately felt controlled and resentful. That is not to say non-alcoholics have to put up with crap, not at all, but eventually I had to get sober from a desire emanating from within myself. Although others can say things sometimes that can have a profound effect on my thinking.

Mike

If AA is not ideal, take a look at www.smartrecovvery.com. Of course, in my view, its Trishes choices really. No disrespect.