Notices

please help i want to stop

Old 04-12-2005, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

please help i want to stop

i don't know anybody who doesn't drink/ do drugs including family, coworkers and friends. i'm sick of it and i want to stop but i don't know where to start. i just left my boyfriend because he is abusive and drunk and i can't do it anymore. i feel like i want to die.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
knucklehead

rain, this is a good place to start your journey. I am glad you are here. I am sure you can start to get the help you need now. welcome.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi April
Glad you found SR... you will find many people here that desire the same things you are... and many who are living day to day, clean and sober.

Have you thought about going to AA or NA meetings in your area?
There is more than one way to get sober... But I have found that it is too hard for me to do alone and in order to get the support and help in building a new foundation in sobriety, the most readily available program is AA for myself and many others. It is a solid program with great tools.
I have found it has helped me more than all the other avenues I have tried in my attempts at getting sober.

Just remember this, You Are Not Alone!!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi April, glad you are here with us at SR!
Stick around with us and keep reading
posts. There is a lot of great information
here. A sober life is so much better.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome april

here is where you are welcome
Old 04-12-2005, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

(((april*rain)))

Welcome, I'm glad you decided to join us. I'd also suggest that you check out AA or NA meetings in your area. There is a solution. For me that solution was AA.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

April*Rain,I like your screen name.Welcome to SoberRecovery.This is a good place to be.You can find a lotta support here.For me I got clean in the rooms of Narcotics Anonymous and also Alcoholics Anonymous.I have found the best friends I have ever known in those rooms.And it has showed me how to live clean and sober.Today life is good and i am happy.If I can do it,anyone can.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

When I was using alcohol and drugs...I hung out with drinkers and druggies.

Now I am sober and clean..so are my friends.

I met them in the meeting rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I hope you will stick around here...
Old 04-13-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

April,...............Good for you for making the decision to save your life. AA can do just that. It saved mine. I more or less, died in the hospital. My heart stopped beating for 45 seconds in the hospital. They used those paddle things to jump start my heart. I have had seizures ( 6 last year and all in 3 months,....and 2 in public places, and one in the shower where I cracked open my skull on the faucet nozzle ),....near fatal delirium tremens 7 times,........lost jobs,....my home,.....my friends,...my girlfriend,....nearly my whole family,......my license (revoke til 2011).....yet I still WANTED to get sober. Thank God I was too scared to take my own life. I know this is hard,...but the first thing that is suggested is that you clean house. That means end all involvment with people who abuse drugs and alcohol. I know that is easier said than done. Especially with your family still drinking. But you could find help in a treatment center and then transition to a half-way house. By that time theres a great chance you will have built up enough AA "muscle" to withstand the temptation around your family members. You may have to never ever talk to those old friends again. Which is what I have done. Its hard, but, once you do it,...life gets GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT!!!! Trust me.....it does. I dont have the license back,..or the friends,...or the girlfriend,....or the same job. But I have ME back. And I am happier than I have been in 15 years. And the promises keep happening. Im getting happier as the weeks go by. Way to go and keep it up!!!!!!!!!! God bless....
Old 04-13-2005, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
tha toastah

hi april

I too, was in your situation when I decided I wanted to get sober. Everyone I knew was drunk and/or high. But I surrendered. anything was better than wanting to die, i had nothing to lose. So i cut off all of my old friends. Started eating lunch alone. It was really scary and hard at first, but I go alot of support at meetings. You will find sober people at meetings. People who will want to help you get through this.

Today I have sober friends, and I am happier than Ive ever been. You can do this april, but first you have to make some sacrifices to save yourself.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Welcome to SR. Will be glad to get to know you
Old 04-13-2005, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keep coming back - Yeah Right!

get rid of old friends, get rid of hangers on, go to meetings, stay safe. dont pick up that first one and the rest will follow... keep going, your NOT on your own. x
Old 04-13-2005, 08:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Right you are TobstaH.

It's very difficult to continue with life ike a person is accustomed to and expect a change. We have to make an effort to change our lives. We separate the necessary from the uneccessary. People, places or things that will make you drink have to be removed. I can't be around people drinking and bars and things that upset me or, I will drink.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Keep coming back - Yeah Right!

ps/

get a sponcer, but make sure you choose someone whos sicker than you . . . then you cant tell any lies that they havent already told or pull strokes that they havent already pulled. . . great things . . . [sponcers]. . .mmmmmmmmm pps/ there always right as well. . .
Old 04-13-2005, 09:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It is very important to change the people you hang out with.

Until I let go of my old using friends, I didn't even have a chance at staying clean.

The sacrifices you have to make will be very much worth the rewards that you will reap from your decision.

You have tons of support here to do what you need to do.