Notices

Who wants to join the newbie count?

Old 05-16-2005, 12:25 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Yes na4today...a special prayer for you indeed.

Dolfinn
Old 05-16-2005, 12:28 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Kathy, prayers being sent for your doctor visit. Hope you are feeling better soon.

You know we are right here with you!

Lots of love,
Hope
Old 05-16-2005, 03:13 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

You guys are lucky, I wish I could quit. And it seems like people in AA in my area are all court ordered DWI offenders and not really wanting to quit.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:23 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Hi Orye,

You can quit too. Sometimes the pain of using gets to be much greater than the pain of not using. We all have to make a decision within ourselves.

Sober is much better--
Old 05-17-2005, 03:12 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Someone mentioned how hard weekends are for them...me too! That'll be my big challenge. Feeling ok today (day 3..yeah!) but the real test will come Fri/Sat and I want to be ready. I want it to be different this weekend.I want to wake up Sat morning feeling good and able to make choices about the day.....not just make it through another hangover.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Dolfinn
Old 05-17-2005, 03:56 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Dolfinn,

The good thing is that we are in this together. So you are definitely not alone. Everyone's hands are joined and we help to give each other strength.

You can do it- it is definitely in you. Just make the choice not to pick up and fight those urges.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:10 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Morning,

Well, today is day 9. I have begun walking every day as well.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Hi Orye...Hope is right that you can quit. It just doesn't happen overnight. Hang in and go to meetings, read literature and hang out with us. someone is here 24/7! The weekends aren't so hard for me because every day was the weekend in my mind.
I'm glad you all sound great. Hope everyone has a wonderful, sober day.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:25 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Watchin' The Wheels

Last night's AA meeting was really good. It was nice to be around others who are like me. I felt extremely comfortable and sooooo welcomed. I suggest going, I'm going back. I am focussing on myself and my recovery into a new-dry lifestyle. I need to thank my Higher Power for giving me this opportunity to see that everyone will benefit from my sobriety. EVERYONE! Maybe my boys won't grow up and have to deal with these problems. I pray!!!!!

Last edited by approck1976; 05-17-2005 at 08:28 AM. Reason: fix
Old 05-17-2005, 09:27 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

\Hey you guys
April - that's GREAT news! Well done! I am doing good - going to 2 aerobics classes tonight (step then tae-bo LOL everything in moderation right!) then a meeting. I kept on saying i was going to TRY harder with AA. Among other things a very special person here on SR said to me 0 ther eis no try just DO

So! That made it simpler...that's what I am doing today - I am going to go to AA and I am going to do the same for every day this week and then make an inventory. Feeling better already, but boy feeling those emotionals big time. GRRRR. Serenity prayer, letting go of resentments!

Love
Cahty31
x
Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Invisible, congrats on day 9.

April, I'm glad you went to a meeting. I knew that you would love it!

Hi Kathy and Cathy, great to see you all doing so well.

Today is day 4 for me. Feeling tired but a little bit better.

Love,
Hope
Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

So April...aren't meetings great??? For me, when I walked in the door the first time it was like coming home. Anyway...glad you went and keep coming back!

Orye...hugs and welcome to SR. I don't think LUCK is involved in our quitting at all. I don't know about anyone else, but I came to understand that drugs/alcohol owned me and my life sucked. Then I made a concious decision to fight back...by finding /communicating with a Higher Power, by coming here and posting, by going to meetings, by working the 12-step program and by NOT PICKING UP A DRINK OR DRUG, NO MATTER WHAT!!!

See, what it boils down to is choice...as long as I don't pick up the FIRST drink/drug, I have a choice. Once I pick up, I'm screwed. One is too many and a thousand is never enough...

Old 05-17-2005, 10:00 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

As long as we don't pick up a drink or drug, we won't get high. It is all about choice.

We can say no.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Mishelly

What helped you to get to that level of WILL -

"by NOT PICKING UP A DRINK OR DRUG, NO MATTER WHAT!!! "

Was it desperation (ie lots of tangible losses) or were you proactive?

Cahty31
x
Old 05-17-2005, 12:19 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

Originally Posted by Cathy31
Mishelly

What helped you to get to that level of WILL -

"by NOT PICKING UP A DRINK OR DRUG, NO MATTER WHAT!!! "

Was it desperation (ie lots of tangible losses) or were you proactive?

Cahty31
x
I think it's just cause I'm that darn stubborn! Seriously, it's a little of both. I am very stubborn and I hit meetings five/six nights a week and have a wonderful home group and sponsor.

But I also have a secret weapon against this disease...when I get that overwhelming urge to drink/use, and trust me I get them a lot (I'm only 25 days sober) I have a very powerful memory to pull out and use against the craving.

You see, in April I went to the Sprintime in the Ozarks AA convention down in Eureka Springs Arkansas. Can you imagine the spiritual power of almost three thousand people saying the Serenity Prayer together? Awesome. Anyway, there was a lady, 70+ years old who spoke at one of the meetings. She had an alcoholics horror story you wouldn't believe, but she also had something like 37 years of sobriety...near the end of her story she talked about how her alcoholism had caused the death of two of her children. One was born with alcohol poisoning and the other got sick, the alcoholic mother was too busy getting drunk to take care of the the child and it ended up dying from the illness. Totally heartbreaking story and there was not a dry eye in the place.

How had this woman faced that harsh reality, come to grips with it and been able to recover from her disease and to maintain that recovery for all of those 37 years? That is beyond me, but it makes all the problems I face seem like nothing in comparison. On the way home I told one of my dear friends that, after hearing that story, I couldn't come up with one valid excuse to get drunk or use drugs again, ever. That was a turning point for me and I haven't looked back since, I can't or my disease might catch up with me again.

I hope this all makes sense to you...I can not begin to explain what a spiritual, powerful experience that convention, and particularly that speaker, was for me. If any of ya'll ever get a chance to hit a convention, I highly recommend it...
Old 05-18-2005, 04:17 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Good Morning All...Day 4 here.....thank you for all of your encouragement and positive posts. They really help alot!! So true that there is nothing that can be enhanced by drugs or alcohol. No situation can be made better. I'm gearing up for the weekend...going to stay busy after work on Friday.....doing what I'm not sure. But I'll think of something.

Have a great day!
Dolfinn
Old 05-18-2005, 09:23 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Mishelly, wow, I can only imagine the feelings when that speaker was talking. That is amazing to say clean and sober thru all of that.

I want to go to a convention one day.

Day 5 for me today, hanging on to the good stuff of life.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:35 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

Hey Hope...I'm telling ya, it was one of the most powerful moving experiences of my life.

You keep hangin' in there, k? Pullin for ya!

Day 26 and going strong!!!! Watch out fourth step, here I come ...for the second time in four years, hope I get it right this time!!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
toxicwarrior

Hey newbies , this day 3 for me and I'm thankful for this chance to be among the clean and living this day
Old 05-18-2005, 10:54 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

[i]Lots of bumps and dips on my road 2 RECOVERYMay the LORD be our copilot forever!!!

to that! Welcome toxicwarrior!